1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Beware: torrent sites are being watched

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by 1nf3rn0x, Sep 10, 2012.

1. happy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Here's an interesting fact. I don't really know if this pertains to this thread. But I thought I would throw it out here. Obama doesn't support SOPA or PIPA. So doesn't that mean these so called spies that take down regular folks don't really have much power?

2. Guitarrassdeamor

Guitarrassdeamor

Thanks Received:
    That's great logic. Let's consider a car, which you can get checked out by a mechanic/friend/somebody for problems. If you know or pay someone who is savvy with cars to look it over, it saves you a major headache and money down the line. If you don't, and buy it site unseen without driving it or testing it, that is your problem.
    Let's consider a videogame. You can read reviews, watch videos, and sometimes even play a demo when it releases. If you don't do any of that and buy it off of what the cover looks like, that is your problem.
    However, if I buy a game that is nothing but buggy, cannot run on my computer due to a software conflict that was not mentioned somewhere, does not work with my hardware (we'll patch it down the line, 2 months later), has continuous server issues, etc. etc...that is not your problem. That is a problem on the developer's end.
    What you apparently fail to understand is that nobody is walking into a store and robbing someone of a physical copy of a game. They are simply downloading a file off of the internet. That is in no way stealing, and certainly does not equal a substantial reduction in profits, because half of these people aren't going to buy the game anyways. Not only that, but after some people, like myself, get to try a game, we end up buying it regardless.
    Then there comes the part that games that have things like Ubisoft always on DRM cannot be played while offline (granted I know they are working on this/not using it/removing it or something I read), so a crack is your only option to enjoy the game like you want to.

A car is physical property, an .rar of a game is not. It's pretty damn stupid to think that they are anywhere near the same thing.

3. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    No, I understand perfectly. Like I said... I with a clear conscience take what I want from what the internet has to offer.

I apologize, I realize this thread has nothing to do with piracy.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
    Solaris17 says thanks.
  4. happy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Actually, it's the property of the developer or company that produced or made it.

5. UbErN00b New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm not taking, I'm making a clone, you still have your crappy car in the car lot. I just made a copy of it to try it out, and as I guessed, it is crappy so I delete my crappy clone of your car and don't pay you $500 for it cause you still have the original and I don't get ripped off. Thanks.

Edit: don't make shitty sub standard cars and people won't clone them without ever buying them for over inflated prices.

6. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    yall do realize you are getting trolled by erocker right ?

7. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    At least Erocker doesn't make excuses. This I can respect. He steals and cares not.

Next up the Robin Hood argument.

8. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    ill throw my hat into the ring here
    unfortunate for you there is more "Robbin hoods" than there is "tax collectors" guss what people the majority rules. time to get with the program everybody pirates your self-perceived morality is not applicable on the internet also my hair is a bird

UbErN00b says thanks.
  9. UbErN00b New Member

Thanks Received:
    I did see his 2nd comment but chose to ignore it.

Wow you pretty much summed up my opinion, I didn't even realise it.

It's not exactly the robin hood argument though people like watching movies and playing games, when they give you little over a couple hours of enjoyment a month and yet cost $20 and $60 each respectively though a lot of the times fail to deliver value for money and they become "available for free" then sadly the population is going to choose the latter option and decide what THEY WANT to pay for. It's hardly rocket scince whether it's morally wrong or not or whether you agree with it or not, the majority speaks for itself.

10. ZenZimZaliben

ZenZimZaliben

Thanks Received:
    This thread is awesome and shows what is so right about the internet and what is so wrong with controlled nations. Look at how upset all the people get that live in America or the UK yet other nations that don't care could give 2 shits about this. You all are drinking up the propaganda-cool-aid just like they want you to.

"They" will never stop this, there is no way. Even if you remove the entire internet darknets are on the rise and with all this awesome tech at our finger tips it will only increase. Wait until private sectors start launching their own satellites. What then? What happens when ThePirateBay pays china to launch their own broadcasting satellite. I actually believe this is what KimDotCom has in store.

11. UbErN00b New Member

Thanks Received:
    Lot of the "for" people here seem to be from the UK and US in here unless I missed something over the last 2 pages?

12. UbErN00b New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm from the UK, OneMoar is from the UK, erocker is from the US, mailman is from US though he is hated by his countrymen as well as other "uncontrolled nations" so his opinion isn't really gospel :p

I don't think you can really classify pirates/non pirates coming from a certain demograph, that's the whole point of the debate. Some people can easily afford not to pirate and do, others can't afford to buy every game/film/ware they want but still don't agree with piracy. I still think the latter is the minority nowadays.

Getting shit for free on the internet is normal now and that trend has only increased over the last 10 years and more so with younger generations. Games/film and media companies need a new strategy to sell to this demographic instead of trying to prosecute them as that hasn't and will never work. Change the fucking business plan and get with the program I say. If you have a suck product there's no fucking way it should sell for the same as a top class product that offers 10x better content and value for money.

13. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Some of us work jobs and don't live in our grandmothers attic collecting her social security money MY tax dollars pay for. We like to pay for other peoples hard work too. For example DICE make an excellent game I have over 200 hours in. Yet you would take it for free because you have a self given "right" to other peoples hard work. Get a job doing things having to do with intellectual property and then come back and tell me piracy isn't stealing.

Welcome to the real world people. If everyone pirated no one would buy. If no one buys then no one makes and you will be pirating 20 year old tech. Enjoy your wonderful future of fail.

I'm hated? Damn thats news to me. lol

Anyway on topic......don't steal and you have nothing to worry about.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  14. UbErN00b New Member

Thanks Received:
    Shit guess I need to get out of grandma's attic and learn to live on my own, oh wait I do and have done since I was 15, as it happens I have just lost a well paid job and am now for the first time having to rely on the state which I have paid thousands of taxes and national insurance to for the last 15 years only to find out the state doesn't give 2 flying fucks about me because I have been working, had I always been a bum I would have got given weekely money and a home and dental care etc, as an ex worker who propped up society in taxes and national insurance I don't get any of them when I need it.

Regardless this isn't about politics so why and try and make it about that? I pirate no more/no less now than I did when I had a job and was earning a good wage and paying taxes, what has that got to do with it? seems to me your "against piracy" argument is null hence you have to try and divert the conversation into politics and make it into a argument about people who pay taxes and people who don't, you would make a damn good politician as that's exactly how they answer any awkward questions they don't know the answer to as well lol.

15. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    You're new here so I don't think you understand this argument has been beat to death. I don't mean like a dead horse with a stick. I mean like a zombie Apocalypse with a nuke. My comment wasn't to you anyway man. It was to OneMoar.

I work in an industry that's ALL intellectual property based. My argument isn't about politics. Its about facts. Anyway Ill let this go. Its off topic.

16. UbErN00b New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am new here so that means I am 13 and don't really know how the interwebz works, I appreciate you looking out for me on that front bro.

And my argument isn't for or against you either, it's to debate the issue, there will alays be for or against, but that's the joy of a good debate in my mind, what's the fun if you only hear the one side and you are right? :toast:

17. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    No your new to the forum. This forum. Here let me give you an example...

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141423&highlight=this+is+what+happens

It has nothing to do with your age or your maturity. No debate to be had. Sorry I wasn't clear. It was never intended to be an insult to ya. :toast: Just YOU ARE NEW TO TPU. :laugh:

18. STCNE

STCNE New Member

Thanks Received:
    The car argument doesn't work. You can test drive a car and see all that is has to offer really from the test drive. Games either don't have a demo, or in some game's cases the demo is the only worthwhile part of the game.

I don't pirate, but I get where the pirates are coming from. For me, either I dislike a company and want nothing to do with their products or I like them and want to support them. I can easily go without having something if I don't think it's worth paying for. I've been screwed over and seen people screwed over so many times by companies like EA that I really don't care what happens to them anymore. I don't exactly support piracy but it seems dumb to defend companies that act like they hate their customers.

And to address the comment on the top of the page. Obama has made it clear that he won't stop these bills from passing, he takes massive campaign donations from Hollywood where these bills started(So does Romney for that matter), plus he already has signed in a lot of similar bills. Take from that what you will, I don't want to turn this thread political but that's just what it is. The guy flew to my homestate on the taxpayer's dime to collect about 20 million worth of campaign donations from a big name director.