1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

BF3 - To Origin or Not?

Discussion in 'Games' started by ZenZimZaliben, Sep 12, 2011.

?

Will you use EA's Origin to purchase BF3?

1. Yes, I think this type of service is great!

8.2%
  2. Yes, because I do no want a physical disc.

8.2%
  3. No, I will purchase the BF3 Disc.

47.4%
  4. Maybe, Depends on Origin pricing vs in-store pricing.

21.6%
  5. WTF is an Origin!

14.4%
  1. Volkszorn88

Volkszorn88

Thanks Received:
    The amount of time it takes to go to the store to pick up a hard copy, you could be already downloading the game.

rpsgc and INSTG8R say thanks.
  2. ctrain New Member

Thanks Received:
    this has been the obvious case since alpha, origin and the browser / game are directly integrated.

join a server is a wrapper around a url like: 'origin://129i30192321LONGSTRINGOFSTUFF_ASJDKSADJFFUCKasdlsdkas'

origin then launches if it isn't running, authenticates you, and you're in. if you have it set to automatically login you'll pretty much never see it or have to directly use it ever.

3. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    It's not really about using it, it's about having it. I mean how much do you need to use Steam to launch your games? I right click my Steam icon I have pinned, click the game and I go.

INSTG8R says thanks.
  4. ctrain New Member

Thanks Received:
    you don't use origin to launch the game directly, clicking the game in origin opened battlelog in your browser.

you could use the 3rd party game launching feature of steam to start origin though in alpha, the overlay worked too.

5. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah its great. We will have to have to launch Origin to launch a web browser to launch the game.......change servers? Close the game go back to the web browser and re-open the game.
    Circle jerk.

Crap Daddy and Horrux say thanks.
  6. ctrain New Member

Thanks Received:
    You don't have to close the game, just alt tab and pick a new server.

You don't need to launch origin to log into battlelog, origin will automatically start when you try to join a server. If you have it set to automatically log in then the end result is you get to wait an extra 2 seconds before the game launches and it will just hide away in the tray.

If you didn't play in the alpha then you won't get just how fast the game loads. There's no movies, no nothing. You don't even have to watch it load (but if you really feel like it you can), it will load in the background and alert you when it's done.

Starting / exiting / alt tabbing / windowing is more or less instant.

rpsgc says thanks.
  7. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    I know that, I was saying people just don't want to have another program installed, you will need to have Origin installed. None of the digital distributions are hard to use or complicated, just more clutter. And games spread across more programs/sites.

8. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I did play the Alpha and alt tabbing to change servers is in fact a circle jerk.

Horrux says thanks.
  9. H82LUZ73

H82LUZ73

Thanks Received:
    I think I know this already ,this post was about guys hoping that they could buy the dvd and not have to use Origin all together.Why are you half quoting me in the first place When I am the biggest user here that wants Origin to succeed.

10. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I mean really the way the alpha was set up it was more steps just to play the game. It was annoying and pointless.

11. H82LUZ73

H82LUZ73

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I agree I just want to click the play button in Origin and go to the in game server like BC2,But I guess Dice/Ea want to control the hack or achievement idle gain servers more.

12. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Its about DRM thats all.

13. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    I like origin but their purchase system is SHIT! I tried 4 hours the other day to get BF3 pre order and ended up talking to three different live chat people until I got the number to call and pre order over the phone.

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. Horrux

Horrux

Thanks Received:
    Buy somewhere else. Don't go out of your way and waste time supporting a broken store, that's only encouraging them to keep it up... :rockout:

15. The_Ish

The_Ish New Member

Thanks Received:
    How about we all whine about origin?! Oh wait..

rpsgc and INSTG8R say thanks.
  16. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    I agree Ish everyone can bitch and whine as much as like about it, buy it thru another retailer etc. but BOTTOM LINE is you WILL have to use Origin to play BF3 no matter how you get it.
    I don't very much like having to use another client outside of Steam to play my games but such is the state of gaming, like it or lump it its gonna have to be used.
    I already have Shift 2 on there anyway and my BF3 pre-ordered there so I have already accepted it...

17. Horrux

Horrux

Thanks Received:
    Oh yeah, we WILL HAVE TO use Origin to play the games. I'm just "boycotting" EA by purchasing at, say, Direct2Drive instead. It's not really a boycott, but EA gets cut out of a chunk of money they would get if I bought it off Origin. Enough of us do this, and they'll wonder if it's a good idea to FORCE us into anything.

18. ctrain New Member

Thanks Received:
    oh god a ton of people are buying our game and then using our software anyway what a disaster we are ruined

rpsgc says thanks.
  19. Horrux

Horrux

Thanks Received:
    Sarcasm is cute and all. Do you have anything constructive to say?

20. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    Origin is not dragon born

21. mastrdrver

mastrdrver

Thanks Received:
    I still can't get away from buying a "big" game like BF3 on disk. Only reason I got the stuff on Steam was because I got it on sale (read less then 10 bucks).

I really wanted to vote for the "wtf is an origin". :laugh:

:eek:

22. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Ill tell you I bought it on disk for the simple reason that Origin doesn't have a backup feature. That means that anytime I reinstall my OS I will have to re-download the damn game. Just something you guys should keep in mind.

23. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    If it functions even remotely like Steam, you will stil be able to copy the files over and just "repair" the installation. It might not allow anything like this, but I have doubts a game like BF3 will be too large to download in an afternoon.

24. H82LUZ73

H82LUZ73

Thanks Received:
    Horse manure!! Sorry Mail-Man but you can backup the Origins/Games folder that has the game installers in that folder simply back up to a spare hard drive or external like 1Kurgan1 does.I have tried this in my Win8 DP system and worked like a charm it said for Dead Space 2 ready to install when I copied over the folders.You can also back up the folders to multiple DVD`s or Dual Layer or just leave them on a hard drive.And there is NO download limit on the games Read Origin Faq under downloads.

rpsgc says thanks.
  25. TRIPTEX_CAN

TRIPTEX_CAN

Thanks Received:
    Call me crazy but I don't give a shit how EA wants to work with BF3. I just want the damn game and I couldn't care less about the integration with Origin.

rpsgc and mastrdrver say thanks.