1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

BF4 and flashing a Gigabyte 6900 card

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by sutex, Oct 13, 2013.

1. sutex New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a Gigabyte 6900 card , thinking of flashing it, to help BF4 along, wondering what bios to use. Side question any point, in doing this for BF4. I have no overclock going, just standard settings, Using Afterburner to manage fan speed.

Any suggested GRAPHIC setting to improve FPS for this card ?

[​IMG]

Thanks.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  2. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    I suggest filling in your system specs here to help us help you.

I'm assuming you have a 6950 and want to flash your bios to unlock shaders?

I'd research your exact card to see if the shaders unlock, and if it looks promising, I'd go for it, only if you have a way to restore from a bad flash. Only flash if you're confident you'd be able to fix it if it goes bad.

Then over clock, get some extra juice out of it. :toast:
    Law-II says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  3. sutex New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have noidea to any of those ? Or overclocking hence the ? Which bios do I use and best graphic settings for this card to play bf4
  4. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    You should get a newer release for GPU-Z, one that reports exactly which 6900 series card you have, then we can direct you to the BIOS download page for your card.

Having said that, what do you expect to gain from flashing your card?
    Law-II says thanks.
  5. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

As this question has not been answered with regard to *Makers Name and *Model Number for the vga card; it would be foolish to assume the card can be flashed to unlock

*essential; provide [# hashes] numbers from the back of the vga card {do not need serial number}

-at best maybe five fps more at stock settings; if all goes well and shaders unlock
    -worst case scenario; the card will brick

Note: DO NOT Flash position #2 on either card [if vga card uses dual bios]

advice - just use afterburner to OC the card

Factors to be built in to the OC process
    -Fabrication process of the GPU [differs from one to another some OC well and other not so well]
    -the cards are different [General Rule of Thumb; find out the max OC for each card individually and then use the lowest OC for both cards, increase 5~10Mhz on core in stages test at each stage, if the system freezes you have gone to far, lower the OC by 40Mhz and then start the same process with the MEM increase 5~10Mhz once you get artifacts back the OC down by 40Mhz; Use GPU-Z to keep an eye on VRM Temps these can rise quickly when OC's are applied Keep these between 70~80c : 85c Max]
    -Adjust vga card fan speed manually
    -Be aware that some games do not like OC's and testing with each game as well as benchmarks is necessary
    -Coolers differ [while one card may cope well with heat the other may not; Place the cooler card at the bottom when in crossfireX]
    -Make sure the OC is synchronised, most third party OC software will allow for this
    -Make sure the drivers are stable; if they are unstable they will crash the OC
    -Check that the motherboard is setup and chipset drivers are up to date [Run CPU and MEM at default speeds while testing vga card OC]

Note: use Afterburner, sapphire Trixx or other software to OC

atb (all the best)

Law-II
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  6. Outback Bronze

Outback Bronze

Thanks Received:
    Agreed. If you dont know what you are doing just overclock the graphics card via catalyst controll center or something like sapphire trixx.
  7. sutex New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok ,get newer version of gpu-z, and/or find stuff on card first, to flash ( think 'll go fishing )..... I hate fishing
    I'll just forget flashing as I have noidea , about versions or serials , just reading the box it came in.
    I was looking for a one stop shop/answers for my 6900 and the best way for getting the most out of it for bf4. ............................back to qrobe it.
  8. n0tiert

n0tiert

Thanks Received:
    Save your Original Bios first ! (can be extracted with GPU-Z) , the check the TPU GPU db, there might be an "unlock bios" for your modell , not all 6950 being succesfully unlocked to a 6970 ;)
    Also make shure to have a older PCI vga handy , just incase of bad flash , so u have a second device to see some on the the monitor....
    After a bad flash the PCI-X card is often still accessable due Biosflash tool "ATIFlash 4.07" , but without an output on screen you´re :banghead:
  9. sutex New Member

Thanks Received:
    "TPU GPU db" DOH! ... again searching back in qrobe it , what does it all mean , beam me up scotty.

Thanks i know your helping , but my brain still hurts :)
  10. n0tiert

n0tiert

Thanks Received:
    there you go "TPU GPU db" and this VGA BIOS db

EDIT:

a "HOW-TO" is also here :

AMD Radeon HD 6950 to HD 6970 Mod

now take your time before ya head pops
  11. sutex New Member

Thanks Received:
    APPLe

ok thanks , , but it seems all to hard , for this gamer, . I have no idea what I'm looking at , EXAMPLE , ATI is a separate check box from AMD, and he's me thinking its the same. SO I give up.
    Just trying as I said , to get the most out of this card a ATI?AMD? 6900 something card for BF4.
    Back to playing BF4 on 30 fps , if I'm lucky.
  12. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    yes. i would have told you right at the first post.... you were in over your head XD
    flashing is not for everyone. and a 6950 will do just fine.