1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

BFG 7600GT Causing Power Problem?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by HalfJoey, Jan 2, 2007.

1. HalfJoey New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just joined this forum after finding on google that someone here is having my same problem.

Im not sure what are the rules on crosss posting, but i feel like this topic is better suited for this board anyways.

Link to page for of the topic

Cliff Notes
    - New Built Computer, Intel Pendium D w/ 430W PSU
    - Power Cycles but doesnt boot up when plugging in a BFG 7600GT.
    - Computer works fine when card isnt in the computer.
    - Cleared CMOS, problem still happens.
    - BFG says its their cards problem, but im not 100% convinced of that. Im still doing the RMA they allowed me.

One thing i havnt tried is another power supply, which i will try if the new card they send me still has problems.
  2. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like you solved the problem yourself in a nutshell. Card doesn't turn on? Sucks. Computer turns on with no 7600 in? Hmmm....Clear CMOS, same results, make a call to BFG. They'll accept RMA. And like you said, if the card they send has the same problems, try a slightly beefier power supply. Because when my 9800SE retired, it still let me boot into windows, just with no video (and a no VGA beep code). I'd definitely try a new power supply, or perhaps make sure in BIOS that integrated video (if applicable) is off.
  3. AshenSugar

AshenSugar New Member

Thanks Received:
    what brand is the psu?

my advice with pentium-d get a beefy fortron or epower unit, those chips love their power, and could be the reasion u cant get enought juice to your card, tho the card could just be dead......

tip, buy at the egg, their rma prosess is fast, if u send an item to them monday and they get it by wed you normaly have ur replacment by friday or monday at latest!!!
  4. HalfJoey New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm using a Termaltake 420W PSU.

The graphics card requires 350Watts Newegg.com says the Pentium D required 1.25-1.4V but the processor has a dedicated plug just for it doesn't it?

Is it possible for a graphic card to just make the whole system not run?

I'm doing the RMA through BFG, i hope they are as quick as Newegg. Now im kinda worried about that... :ohwell: If i need a new PSU do you think Newegg would return mine for a better one? The only other PSU i have in my home is 430Watts. But i suppose the Thermaltake could be malfunctioning.

I have a bad feeling its my motherboard but i have nothing to base that on.

Another problem im having is my motherboard beeps twice. once right when i press the power button then another a few seconds later after the computer boots. Abit's guide says its a CMOS Setting Error, but i have no idea what to do about that. I test my memory by running a Memtest-86 and i tried removing them in combinations but still no hope. This is even after i reset my CMOS.

Thanks for your helps guys.
  5. jocksteeluk

jocksteeluk New Member

Thanks Received:
    The 13th room on the 13th floor of the 13th buildi
    are you using a splitter or a direct feed from the psu to the card?
  6. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    If your motherboard is telling you there is a CMOS setting error, then you should go through BIOS settings and make sure A) onboard VGA is disabled B) your motherboard's ready to handle a PCI Express GPU C) that PCI Express GPU is the primary VGA adapter.
    PS- When talking about power supplies, we could care less about voltages for raw requirements (we care about them after the thing is running though). Look at amperage, and maybe even wattage requirements. The Pentium D series burns about 180W of (thermal) power, so perhaps adding the 7600GT is too much for an 18 A 12 volt rail to handle. Look into getting a nice beefy power supply with no less than 20A on the 12 volt rail, or 30A on the 12 volt rail to be future proof (minimum requirement for G80).
  7. HalfJoey New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok thanks for clearing that up.

The graphics card doesn't have a direct feed into it but my PSU has the 6 pin connector for PCI-E cards.

I changed my setting on my motherboard to make the PCI-Express my main video device and still the same thing, power goes on but doesn't boot up, just cycles through every 10 seconds. I only think its ten because my keyboard light goes on and then off, then 10 seconds later it does the same thing.

Concerning the double deeps: My motherboard is set to read the onboard VGA. my dual beeps go like this... I press power, one second later *deep* monitor comes out booting check show up after another couple of seconds and then *beep*, and it boots normal.

Maybe if the card comes back and my computer still doesn't boot perhaps i should look into getting another PSU. But nothing booted up when i had all my optical and hard drives unplugged.

I thought it was my PSU when i was having odd reboots out of the blue, but it turned out it was just left over ATI driver messing stuff up and once that was fixed i havnt had it happen again.

thanks for the ideas guys!

[edit]
    Change a lot

Here is a picture of my voltage according to SiSoftware Sandra
    [​IMG]

Thanks! I'll check out your PSU post in a little bit.
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2007
  8. AshenSugar

AshenSugar New Member

Thanks Received:
    check the post im working on about psu's it should be up within the next few minutes.
  9. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    I had a similar issue when I was using my x800xl about a week ago. Computer would not boot at all if that card was in, despite working for an entire year prior.

Ironically I replaced it with the card you are using now.

Its probably your video card. I tested by putting in an old pci gpu in and it booted okay, so I figured the pci-e card was dead and I guess I turned out right.
  10. HalfJoey New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok thanks, that makes me feel a little better about doing the RMA now that i know someone else had the same problem.
  11. tweakboy New Member

Thanks Received:
    When you power on,, does your monitor light stay orange ?

Possibly PSU

also make sure to connect molex power to video ,

gl,
  12. HalfJoey New Member

Thanks Received:
    when i have the card in there the monitor light stays orange and my computer doesn't boot up. This is even when i have my monitor plugged into the on board VGA.

Actually that graphics card didn't require any other power other than coming from on board. I thought it was strange also considering my AGP ATI Radeon 9800 Pro needed a Molex power. I bought my PSU because it had a PCI-E 6 pin connector, just in case i might need it for the PCI-E card, but it didn't need it. Does PCI-E get more power from the Motherboard than AGP does? is that why i didnt need a Molex connector at all?

I send away my GPU to the company and hopefully i will get an update with a week or so. I have back up plans if it isn't GPU after all. I will change out the PSU and then possibly the motherboard if it comes to that.

Cheap and easy upgrades For the Loss. :\
  13. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    Dude, your 12 volt line is at 11.42. 11.42 < 12. Go get a new power supply with more power on the 12 volt line ;).
  14. HalfJoey New Member

Thanks Received:
    :)

Thats a joke right? Im still paranoid about my PSU. I'll find out when i get the new graphics card in.
  15. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    It's a joke, but I'm dead serious about the fact you need a new power supply. The 12 volt rail on my main machine has yet to dip under 11.91 volts under an overclocked full load. It generally hangs around 12.13 volts under load. Anything under 12 volts on the 12 volt rail isn't exactly very stable...I reccomend a good Apevia(formerly Aspire) power supply, two strong rails :) (or this one if you're cheap).
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2007
  16. NormB New Member

Thanks Received:
    7600 GT Keeps PC from powering up

My BFG 7600GT doesn't work at all and I just got an RMA. Will the new one work? I have tried a 450W and 550W PSU and neither worked with the old card. I use a 24 PIN for the main supply and my board is a Gigabyt GA-M57SLI-S4 and the processor is an Athlon 3800 X2, DVD drive and thats all I'm running plus the fans. What are my chances the new one will work??
  17. HalfJoey New Member

Thanks Received:
    I haven't got my RMA back yet, but i will be sure to update this thread and let you know. UPS said they should have got my RMA on the 10th of January, but i havent had time to call them and confirm they received it. I kinda wish i did the RMA through Newegg.com instead of BFG themselves.

Im glad that other people are having the same problem Iam. well not glad for you, but happy i have someone else to test things out with.

Did you try putting in another PCI-E card? I didnt have another one to try out. Or putting that card into other PCI-E slot on another motherboard?
  18. HalfJoey New Member

Thanks Received:
    I got my card back in and it works great.

I do notice one thing that they changed. where the card clamps on that little white lip on the motherboard. they cut off that piece so it would firmly fit in the PCI-E slot. I noticed that part was too big and it was blocking the card form fully fitting into the PCI-E. Maybe thats what the problem was the whole time. Im glad everything is working fine and i hope everything works out for you.

I have a problem not related to hardware. When i did the RMA the instructions where to send jus tthe card and no CDs or plugs that came with it. Well i send the card with the original box and put it in another box. When they sent me back my new card they didnt send back my damn box which had to proof of purchase on it and i cant get my $65 rebate. Im calling them now to see if anything can be done. :( I picked BFG because of the rebate.
  19. NormB New Member

Thanks Received:
    12 Volt supply?

I hope mine works good also after it comes back from BFG. Do you have a separate 12v supply to the card on the motherboard and if so are you using it? Thanks for the reply.
  20. HalfJoey New Member

Thanks Received:
    I dont believe i have a separate 12V supply. I have the 20+4pin main power connector...
  21. NormB New Member

Thanks Received:
    RMA How long?

BFG received my video card Wednesday, when should I expect to receive mine fixed or a replacement one?