1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

BFG 9800GT OC Edition

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by _jM, Dec 9, 2008.

1. _jM

_jM New Member

Thanks Received:
    OK guys Im sure most of you know that I have a 9800GT in my system temporarily until i get the refund for my 4850 from the EGG. Compared to the 4850 this card is good but the ATi is the better card. When the refund is placed on my card I will be getting a 4870 and just adding the funds from my RMA to what I spent at Best Buy for this 9800GT. Witch will more than likely happen by next Wed or Thurs. And I have removed the stock cooling and added a Gigabyte V-Power , and the temps dropped from: 55-60c@idle/77-82c@load to 36c@idle/42-45c@load Not bad eh? (And, yes I can still return the card to best buy w/o them knowing i replaced the original cooler) Here's a pic of the cooler I have on it that was purchased @ http://www.performance-pcs.com
    [​IMG]
    Now the MAIN reason behind this post is that I want to know if anyone here can help me OC this card. Im a ATi user and have NEVER owned a NVIDIA card untill now so Im a noob to OCing NVcards. I have EVGA Precision tool but Im not sure what I should start out at. See.. on ATi cards you only have to OC the Core and the mem, on these babies i noticed there are shader clocks and they are linked with the core clocks. Im not looking for any extreme OC , just a good performance increase that wont kill the card at the same time. You have to remember im returning the card next week. So Im trying to see what I can do with it while I still have it here. Thanks guys:toast:

2. wolf

wolf Performance Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    leave the shaders and core linked, and just go up.

most of these cores overclock to between 700-800mhz with the shaders linked, so i'd start at 675 odd and go up in small increments.

overclocking the memory wont do much for FPS.

well worth overclocking, as with most cards like this your looking at 10%+ more performance. and your temps are great.

_jM says thanks.
  3. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Are you the one that ended up with my old 4850? That is an awesome cooler, I miss it dearly! A good starting point for the GPU on the Nvidia card would be around 700mhz. Wolf2009 has one a 790mhz right now!

_jM says thanks.
  4. _jM

_jM New Member

Thanks Received:
    No the 4850 was an Open Box from the Egg that i tried to flash the bios with RBE and had an epic fail :shadedshu

Your right the cooler is an awesome cooler. Ive had this thing on every card Ive used since I bought it. (3850agp, 4850, and this 9800) And it works wonders!:rockout: Also the fact the case is open and sitting right in front of my window lols :laugh: