1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Big Typhoon

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by WarEagleAU, Jul 10, 2006.

1. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    I was on here just looking around when I saw a topic that I was hoping would give me some insight, titled Big Typhoon or AC Freezer Pro. To my surprise it turned out to be a topic dealing with a 10 dollar INFINITY(Good damn deal btw) Alas, I didnt see anything about the typhoon, so I will ask it again. What do ya'll think of the Big Typhoon? Any likes, dislikes? Anyone have one installed that has good thermals and can post results? Thanks.

2. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Have it myself, it's a great CPU cooler, but it doesn't blow the air towards the back for the exhaust fan should suck it out. The Arctic Cooling Freezer 7/64 Pro on the other hand, is good and cheap, but isn't as good for overclocking. But it does blow out the back. If you want to blow out the back and be good for overclocking, get the Zalman CNPS9500.

3. trt740

trt740

Thanks Received:
    Thats is incorrect a high overclocking the Arctic Freezer 64 pro performs better than the Zalman and almost as good as the Typhoon. Its a little less cooler at Idle than the Typhoon but not at high end overcklocking it is just as good. Read this review

http://www.3dxtreme.net/index.php?id=acfreezer64pro1

Last edited: Jul 12, 2006
  4. trt740

trt740

Thanks Received:
  5. trt740

trt740

Thanks Received:
    Most of the reviews I read list the Arctic Cooler pro 64 tied with the Zalman or slightly better during regular use or overclocking. They are both good coolers and the Typhoon is better than them both ,however the Freezer doesn't need a back plate and can be installed without removing the motherboard. It also cost 40 dollars less then the more visually beautiful Zalman(a true work of art) and about 20 dollars less than the Typhoon an beast of a cooler.

6. markkleb Guest

I use the AC freezer, and love it, but for every review that says a Freezer beats a Zalman there are a few that say the Zalman beats the freezer.

Like you said the Zalman is Visually beautiful and lighted too (for those who like lights)

For OC the Zalman is superior (more fins adjustable speed)
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Zalman/CNPS-9500LED/6

As a value AC is still unbeaten..
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ArcticCooling/Freezer64Pro/5

Pretty close though..

and nobody even mentioned
    http://www.coolerguys.com/840556035572.html or
    http://www.coolerguys.com/840556020394.html

7. Zurb New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have ordered the big typhoon, tired of watercooling i dont know whats better the zalman or typhoon, but i read about a guy on sweclockers.com some months ago who made SERIOUS results with the typhoon

8. jph1589

jph1589 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Info

My brother just instllaed the big typhoon. He has an Antec Case ..... MSI P4n SLI-Fi with a PD 840. His stock cooler was fine until summer came along. He lives in Sacramento and the temps get over 100 for weeks. His a/c just doesnt keep up and he had to turn his computer off during the day. So he bought and installed the BT and his temps are incredibly low. Idles around 35 and the load is in the low 40s. That is with his room temps around 80 to 85. He swears by it. Not at it LOL.

9. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Big Typhoon.

Make that two of us who swears by it. I have yet to install the big typhoon on this pc, but I did test it on my other pc. MY GAWD how huge a difference it makes. Its not even that loud, what, with the 12cm fan and all. AC, Zalman and Typhoon are awesome. The coolermaster hyper 6+ is almost as good as the typhoon. Its probably better than the ac and zalman, maximum pc gave it a 10 KICK ASS rating if Im not mistaken. The Scythe Ninja is cool too, just not as good as the others, though it looks awesome. The BT is prolly the tops in aircooling right now, however, its a hawkingly huge cooler. Not to mention, the 12CM fan can be upgraded, says so right on the BT packagings. (Psst, Pagecomputer.com has it for cheap right now, if you havent bought it already)

Jason

10. Zurb New Member

Thanks Received:
    Got the big typhoon a few months ago along with new psu, mobo, case and screen.
    impressed of the typhoon┬┤s performance, its about 3-4 degrees higher idle and 7 degrees under load

11. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
  12. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    I run a mini typhoon. cost me about 30$ and I have some pretty nice temps. 25c idle right now OCed to 2400mhz

13. savillm

savillm New Member

Thanks Received:
    i got the Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro and i think its the dogs balls well easy to install and the pre-applyed thermal compound is good too cos im useing it atm.