1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bigfoot Networks KillerNIC M1

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Frederik S, May 23, 2007.

1. HellasVagabond New Member

Thanks Received:
    Aint worth 250 bucks to see a 5-10% increase in Games...In that case go grab a better GPU :)
  2. JacKz5o New Member

Thanks Received:
    Or upgrade your internet connection for a year :D
  3. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think you should go back and test at the graphical settings you play at Frederik. At 1600x1200+ there is no way possible you are going to get 10-15 % higher fps in todays games.

I vote you do follow up at settings you or I would actually play at and on servers that average about 100ms minimum with the onboard. Once you find a server like that (prolly in the US) redo your testing. These numbers mean nothing to me.
  4. JacKz5o New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well it is definitely possible for a 10-15% increase in CS:S because its purely CPU limited, so that might be pretty accurate. Sound cards increase FPS too in most games.

But I do agree with you on the 100ms testing. You can't really test how the card performs if you already get a perfect/almost perfect ping with a 100mbit connection
  5. Dippyskoodlez New Member

Thanks Received:
    That doesn't make sense.

If you add in a network bottleneck you will see that it doesn't make a difference, or less of a difference.

This is about seeing if the card actually provides increases, not if the end user will see an increase.

End user connections will vary enough that its really senseless to do a "real" test like that. Theres too many variables in a connection.

If the card is really /that/ good, it should provide a boost where that card is the bottleneck.

If it doesn't, all other tests will follow suit.
  6. HellasVagabond New Member

Thanks Received:
    Guys bottom line is that this card DOES make a difference but not enough to excuse 250 bucks...If it was 50-60-70 bucks sure why not but 250 bucks ? No wonder the company wont live long :p
  7. segomo New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've had one of the KillerNIC M1 network cards for a couple of months now, and it had made a big difference to the games that I play.

The most noticable is WOW. The FPS and PING have stablaised at 48fps and a ping time of around 88 constant, even in cities like SW and IF! before the KillerNIC they would the both fps and ping would have been doubled and even more in IF AH.

Others include:
    Vanguard is now actually playable!
    LOTRO now has no lag noticable, before if I got anywhere near a player it would jerk around!
    GW saw a marked FPS increase.

I'ts amazing what a network card can do! I highly recommend one!

My system:

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+
    Corsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2-5400C4 TwinX (2x1GB)
    Asrock AM2NF3-VSTA (Socket AM2) AGP DDR2 Motherboard
    NVIDA GeForce 6800 GS 512MB (450/1200) (old but a real contender!)
    KillerNIC M1 400Mhz Network Card
    8mb ADSL connection (running at about 6mb )
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2007
  8. HellasVagabond New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like an advertisement to me.....
    Either way what happens when mobos get only Pciex slots and not PCI ? Throw out the window 250euros and get the newest Killer card ? Dont think so...
  9. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    pointless waste of money.and you ^^ we dont want your ads here thx.
  10. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    It is not an advertisement, it looks to me like he just wants to share what he thinks of the card. Undoubtedly he found the site when he was looking for reviews. There is no need to be hostile to new members that want to share their experiences. That is, after all, one of the main points of these forums. Please discuss the card instead of scaring away potential new members just because they disagree with your opinion.
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2007
  11. segomo New Member

Thanks Received:
    thnx Polaris, I just wanted to put a positive spin on the product as its had alot of bad press by people who don't know what it can do, it would appear.

Buy it, don't buy it. Thats up to you but if you thought something was good, or bad, wouldn't you want people to hear you opinion?

thnx for the warm welcome btw.
  12. HellasVagabond New Member

Thanks Received:
    Its just "weird" that your first post is to "support" this product.
    If you were to find 100 reviews in sites like this you would be so kind to post into every site just to "help" everyone ? It doesnt add up for me but thats my point of view.

And nobody said that the card doesnt help gaming. It just doesnt help that much to support the 180pounds ( 250euros ) price that it has. If it was 100euros i would buy it for sure.
  13. segomo New Member

Thanks Received:

btw. as it states on their website its main function is to reduce the strain on the CPU which will help increase FPS and reduce LAG rather than seing a reduced PING time. Whatever you do to your pc, the quality and speed of the miles or metres of wire between you and the server cannot be affected!:banghead:
  14. segomo New Member

Thanks Received:
    ??:wtf:

Sorry I didnt notice I joined the negative slaters forum.
  15. HellasVagabond New Member

Thanks Received:

Thats one hell of a way for someone to switch focus to someone else instead of him......
    However i think i am entitled to my opinion and it doesnt reflect to the entire forum.
  16. bassmasta Guest

these kick ass. and actually, most servers in css keep you above five for whatever reason. i have seen a ping of 1 before. and app mode should be turned on when you leave games so that you can browse at the same speeds.
  17. segomo New Member

Thanks Received:
    :ohwell: ... anyway anyone else actually got one? would like to know if anyone else had seen improvements, if any, in games. It seems to affect MMORPG's more.
  18. Polaris573

Thanks Received:
    Who are you to question the way someone finds a forum? Since this thread cannot be closed as it is discussing a review, and I already given a warning, everyone who does not stay on topic will receive an infraction. There is a report post button for suspicious posts for a reason, please feel free to use it instead of insulting members.
  19. HellasVagabond New Member

Thanks Received:
    Posting my opinion is called an insult ? I must be living in another Galaxy then......
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2007
  20. Polaris573

Thanks Received:
    Obviously your infraction was for insulting a member and inciting argument, not your opinion on the card. If you have a problem with an infraction send me or another moderator a PM and do not post it in the thread.
  21. Murasame

Murasame New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was thinking about getting one of these sine I'm an avid wow raider. I hear it really helps in wow, but I haven't been able to find anyone who owns one and raids in wow. Would love to see how it helps for 25man raids or maybe, just battle grounds. The price though is just killing me. This thing cost as much as the HD2900pro is speculated at.
  22. tater New Member

Thanks Received:

You dont seem to understand.. The lower the ping the better. 5ms is rather good. 250 is like watching grass grow.
  23. bassmasta Guest

whoa, 250 ms? in css, you wouldn't notice, but i get irritated after 100
  24. tater New Member

Thanks Received:
    no kidding. I run on an american server around 10ms - 60ms (3mbps down, 384kbps up. soon to upgrade to 6mbps down, 512kbps up :rockout:)
  25. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    It just is not worth the money. Take that money, cram it into your savings for a new computer. If a Killer NIC gives you that much of a performance boost you're in need of a new PC