1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

biggest drug addiction in the US

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by imperialreign, Jul 9, 2008.

1. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
  2. johnnyfiive

johnnyfiive

Thanks Received:
    Very true and sad. But I'm definitely addicted to TV unfortunately.

3. flashstar New Member

Thanks Received:
    "Even more, this drug causes people to accept anything their government does."

I question the "moderateness" of this article...

4. oli_ramsay

oli_ramsay

Thanks Received:
    I used to be "addicted" to TV, but I only watch an hour or 2 a day because there's NOTHING worth watching here in the UK. The only good things I watch are Top Gear, and the comedy on Friday nights and the occasional film.

I think I'm more addicted to my PC than anything. lol

5. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    i watch no tv.

6. johnnyfiive

johnnyfiive

Thanks Received:
    If you read the article, TV consists of all different types. Computers are a form. We are all addicted to a form of TV, just admit it. :) I am a " TV " addict hands down and I thoroughly enjoy it.

7. russianboy New Member

Thanks Received:
    This article isn't moderate! It's biased against drugs!

8. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    very true as well - hell, they've already validified internet addiction

although, being infront of a computer does tend to utilize a bit more of the brain than a TV does - which, the TV is the biggest gripe of the article.

well - compared to what the lefties and righties want everyone beliving as being the root cause of problems within the US, it's a moderate viewpoint

and entirelly valid as well - there are too many people that simply accept what is spoon fed to them

9. DaedalusHelios

DaedalusHelios

Thanks Received:
    70 percent are very overweight, 35 percent obese

This guy is bad with percentages or he considers the obese to be overweight aswell.

I am overweight because I lift weights. Bodybuilders are overweight and some are obese. It has nothing to do with total fat percentage. Its skewed.

10. DaedalusHelios

DaedalusHelios

Thanks Received:
    Its the sheep. News from tv is vastly inferior to news in print. I prefer Salon, NPR, and Reuters. ;)

11. calvary1980

calvary1980 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Americans are Fat Frequent Flyers who murder other Fat Frequent Flyers.

- Christine

12. russianboy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I like to watch channels like Food Network, Home and Garden Television (inb4 gay insults) and Discovery channel, I am actively learning from those, what does the author have to say about that?

Ah, he forgot to address the content the viewer is watching. Shitty sitcoms and stuff, I understand, but IMO when watching something useful gets involved (or say, going to wikipedia and the like) I think everything changes, and the guy should acknowledge that.

13. johnnyfiive

johnnyfiive

Thanks Received:
    I'm using right now. I should be working but I'm here posting. I sent the article link to a friend, he is one of those guys that never thinks they are wrong. And when they are, they tend to turn it to make themselves seem right.

He is on vacation right now but he is using a work laptop responding to his work email address. He claims he doesn't watch TV since he has no subscription to local services but he watches stuff all the time on the laptop (LOST, Battlestar Galactica, etc). He's one of those guys that never admits they are at fault. He also has a projector he spent $1,300 that he JUST bought and he still says hes not addicted to " TV ". Bullshit. I'm not a fan of people who can't admit things when its blaintenly true.

14. calvary1980

calvary1980 New Member

Thanks Received:
    atleast you burn calories when laughing (Sitcoms)

- Christine

15. johnnyfiive

johnnyfiive

Thanks Received:
    ^^ True. :p

16. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    totally agree that content comes into play as well. I'm one of those that if I have nothing else to do, I can always find something to watch on History or Discovery, or one of their many spin-off channels.

That and Commedy Central is a staple . . . can't go without my SouthPark or The Daily Show :p

But, otherwise, though, standard programming has become quite tripe . . . it's all the same old scripted-"reality" shows, game shows and competitions.

True as well to the comment about the articles author - comes across to me as one of those health-nuts that thinks his shit don't stink.

Reasoning being is that to be able to view TV as a problem within society, one must watch it at some point . . .

. . . the difference being, is those who are able to pull themselves away from the TV and think about what they just saw - IMO, there are too many people that can't think in context, and only take things at face value . . . our nation as a whole is ADD, we only concern ourselves with what the media is currently covering . . . as soon as the media moves onto something different, so does everyone else.

17. flashstar New Member

Thanks Received:
    This whole debate is stupid because virtually no one is dependant on TV. The 95% of people in the US who are employed have to work for money in order to watch tv. You can't be watching tv for fun while you are working. As long as this nation remains capitalistic, there is no reason to worry about TV. Now if everything were socialized, we would have a problem because there would be little incentive to work for yourself to get a TV. The government would just give you a paycheck every month and you could sit on your ass and watch TV forever.

18. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    false.
    A drug, is any chemical substance that, when absorbed into the body of a living organism, alters normal bodily function.

last time i checked.. the only time a tv would be considered a drug would be if you injested it. luckily for me, i haven't tried to swallow a tv.

a tv doesn't alter the functions of a persons body, it doesn't do anything to you besides put some strain on your eyes, but thats due to the light rays, not the tv itself.

19. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I virtually replaced tv with my computer years ago

Crunching for Team TPU
  20. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:

hmmm . . .

http://dieoff.org/page24.htm

http://www.causeof.org/brainwaves.htm#AlphaLow

just because it's not chemical doesn't make it a drug - at least, according to how our federal government would view it:

21. russianboy New Member

Thanks Received:
    But you and I know that the government (US) knows jack shit when it comes to drugs. If they knew anything about psychoactives, we would be smoking reefer right now.

One state passed a law saying that anything extracted out of salvia D. is considered a schedule I substance.

wanna buy some schedule I water? How about some chlorophyll?

22. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:

I would tend to agree - but considering the amount of politicians who've been busted over the years with drug possession and what not . . . we can't say they know nothing about drugs :p

23. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    how does tv affect bodily functions?

24. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Obesity and other lack of excersise deficiencies. It's the age we live in though, technology has made our legs useless.

Drugs get a bad rap though. What I can't eat a mushroom and alter my brain state if I want to and stare at my avvy? Please, the whole drug word is tossed around and applied to anything someone deems inappropriate. Yes we could all be working outside all day getting plenty of excersise and never have too much sex or indulge our minds with extrenous pleasures we don't need, but I really don't want to be Amish. Enjoy what you have to enjoy I say (of course be reasonable), balance is the key and there's too much good stuff out there to listen to others tell you it's bad.

25. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    Actually, I believe that information is incorrect. I would say that the biggest drug addiction is sugar.