1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

biggest drug addiction in the US

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by imperialreign, Jul 9, 2008.

1. flashstar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Regardless of how good marijuana makes you feel, it is not good at all. After several years of use, you can see holes in peoples' brains who have used marijuana. The last thing that we need with a slowing economy is everyone wasted on a drug like marijuana. The main problem is that the drug doesn't just make you feel good, it affects your mental perception of things. You're much less likely to make informed decisions while smoking marijuana.

2. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Bold is 100% false. Marijuana in no way creates holes in your brain, you seem to be a victim of misinformation, another nasty side effect of the war on drugs (I am a victim of it as well).

People make bad decisions anyway, the primary bad effect of the drug is general apathy or single mindedness that tends to take hold of those that use it frequently. This is not always the case though, it affects many differently, and many use it recreationally to the same extent one would w/ alcohol. We don't need a government telling us we can't do what we want w/ a plant that grows freely, or alter our perceptions if we want to. Altering your perception is not always a bad thing, if you can handle stepping into another frame of mind you may end up seeing your persepective was pretty faltered in the first place.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  3. russianboy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wrong. MDMA doesn't cause holes.

Heavy use may cause serotonin issues later on, but no holes.

Having said that, no recreational psychoactive causes "holes" in the brain, if it had such bad side effects, it wouldn't be considered recreational, and probably would remain legal. (Nightshade/datura anyone?)

farlex85 says thanks.
  4. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ah, looks like I am as well a victim of misinformation. I have been out of the research loop for a bit, and didn't see all these studies now refuting the earlier claims made by doctors. A quick google search set me straight.

5. flashstar New Member

Thanks Received:
  6. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Please do some actual research and don't spread crap like that around. You can think for yourself can't you? They have many brochures like that spreading all the misinformation I was talking about. It's ridiculous that people (the government is largely responsible) resort to lies to attempt to prove a point.

7. russianboy New Member

Thanks Received:
  8. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    I agree with flashstar, I have seen the effects of it on a friend. I saw him take his life, career, wife, and kids and throw it all away for a drug addiction, namely Marijuana.

9. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    alright - to get this back on topic before the thread gets closed . . .

we're starting to miss the point . . . the article wasn't about "drugs" per se

they've made the analogy of TV to drugs because of how TV addiction has subdued and stoopified our nation . . . instead of being able to think for ourselves, we've allowed the TV and media to brainwash us and spoonfeed us, and no one questions why our nation does the things it does . . . instead, we follow the most popular topic in the news, and completely forget about that when something new comes along

for example, the war in Iraq - our government used images of supposed WMDs and "leaked" information from anonymous sources to help drum up popular support for the war, even though our CIA had mentioned a few times that the images and information were not gathered by any of our government institutions . . . how many americans stopped to ask "WTF, when we have the most powerful and resourceful intelligence gathering agency in the world, are we going on second-hand information?!!"

and what ever happened to Bin Laden? Didn't our government use the fallout of 9-11 to go wage an ongoing "war on terror" with removal of Bin Laden as being the primary and specific goal? So, what ever happened with that? That was interrupted by the WMDs in Iraq, and our attention hasn't gone back to Afghanistan yet (although we've been keeping military there) . . . and Bin Laden is still pwning us at hide and seek.

How many billions of dollars has our government wasted pursuing their own political interests over the last decade that could've been put to better use?

10. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm sure there was another drug or mental disorder in there as well. Nobody is saying go out and do a bunch of drugs, we all have seen the effects they can have when used irresponsibly, but learn for yourself what the effects really are, and don't kid yourself w/ this all drugs need to be stomped out crap.

Shouldn't get closed, we're still being civil. :) And tis the nature of the business. Entertainment is the name of the game, fast and furious. And of course, governments have histories of pressing their causes wherever possible with whatever vehicles they have readily at their disposal. It will likely only get worse, just gotta take the good w/ the bad the truth w/ the fiction, and hope you can separate them out.

11. russianboy New Member

Thanks Received:
    What about watching TV on drugs?

What about being addicted to TV drugs? Or a channel called Drug TV?

god damn, I really want some TV but street prices are so high now.

12. DaedalusHelios

DaedalusHelios

Thanks Received:
    Alcohol is far worse than marijuana will ever be. Look at how it affects society.

Typical alcohol abuse causes:

Domestic abuse/ Child abuse
    Drunk driving w/ fatalities involving entire families torn apart(physically and metaphorically)
    Suicide
    Liver Disease
    Heart Disease
    Various Cancers

Marijuana is not good, but to outlaw marijuana and not alcohol aswell is rediculous. Its because wealthy people like to drink, therefore its abuse and right will be protected. Marijuana is a poor person's drug so it must be considered criminal. :rolleyes:

13. calvary1980

calvary1980 New Member

Thanks Received:
    marijuana is harmless. not criminal, adolesson.

http://drbenkim.com/ten-most-dangerous-drugs.html

oh opiates #1 what a surprise.

heroin, fentanyl, tramadol, dilaudid, methadone, morphine, codeine, percocet, vicodin. yum yum *holds out her hand*

- Christine

14. flashstar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just wondering-- if you can't have some faith in your government, who can you trust? Don't tell me that this is a topic full of guys who think that the Apollo landings were fake! :rolleyes:

Besides, "that shit" is actual verified scientific data. There is supporting data everywhere-- unlike another popular "theory" that's popular now. :laugh:

Regardless, TV is not a drug. I don't have much else to say on the subject.

15. DaedalusHelios

DaedalusHelios

Thanks Received:
    I think it should be marijuana and alcohol allowed or neither allowed. We can't let tradition pick and choose our vices. Its ridiculous. :shadedshu

16. calvary1980

calvary1980 New Member

Thanks Received:
    no wonder we have "vices"

this is the first narcotic I have seen that had a flavor additive.

- Christine

17. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Are you kidding me?:confused: Try yourself, your family, your friends, the person you passed on the street the other day. I'm not saying the government is evil (or at least not a necessary evil) but I can assure you congress isn't just thinking about the people's best interest. I have faith in the governmental process to an extent, I just haven't seen it executed properly too often. Their pockets and the pockets of those who can move things around come first.

And no, the links you provided are only partly based on scientific data, much of it skewed and falsely represented, and some of it is simply untrue. Like I said, do some research yourself, take a neuroscience class in college. God imperial may be right, maybe some are just being spoonfed stuff thinking the government can do no wrong........

18. flashstar New Member

Thanks Received:
    There are a ton of senators, congressmen, and elected officials who are downright bad (mostly democrats). I would trust the good ones much more than someone I passed on the street though.

Without government there is anarchy. Therefore, you must have a basic level of respect for your local, state, and national government. I'm not a fan of government programs, but you must understand that our government is mostly made up of lawyers. The government is not going to do anything that will attract lawsuits so saying that the pamphlet that I referenced is downright false is crazy.

I didn't ask you to read the pamphlet, I just wanted to show the images of Marijuana damage. MRI images don't lie.

19. DaedalusHelios

DaedalusHelios

Thanks Received:
    :roll:

You gotta be fucking kidding me!!! Mostly democrats? You are delusional, or just plain ignorant. :slap:

20. flashstar New Member

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

He's a democratic senator! :eek:

21. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you say that, I instantly just discredit most everything else (not b/c I am democrat, b/c you make yourself so obviously and completely republican=not really open to the other side). Those images in that link are not MRI's, they are SPECT's, at least as sited by the pamphlet, although they don't actually look like either of those, save for the first one. Brain scans of any kind can be taken out of context, and thus lie. A couple of years back similar images were shown of supposed repeated use of ecstasy, only to apparently find out that those were in animal studies, and falsely represented at that. I assure you marijuana does not cause holes in the brain, but you think what you want, it seems you are more closed-minded than I initially thought.

22. flashstar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Prove it.

Edit: You just noticed I was Republican? :laugh:

23. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    No I noticed you were republican, not all are as closed minded though and anti the other side. You want real scientific info you can try this or this maybe since your in to mri's. That'll get you started maybe. Those full articles aren't available though, check out your local library for things that weren't made by the government. Google too, although alot of those are skewed. Here's a full thing on it, try googlescholar. I will tell you I have had a bit of formal education in this area and have never heard of marijanna causing holes in the brain, I can't give you anything to directly disprove it as such, I think that's a new myth. Just see if you can find some more actual info (not from the DEA).

24. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    They tried to outlaw alcohol before but it caused more trouble than it was worth.

Crunching for Team TPU
  25. DaedalusHelios

DaedalusHelios

Thanks Received:
    Exactly, I was just pointing out how it shouldn't be outlawed because of our current treatment of the most destructive drug in the US.