• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bill Gates Windows rant e-mail from 2003

W

wolf2009

---- Original Message ----

Sent: Wednesday, January 15, 2003 10:05 AM
To: Jim Allchin
Cc: Chris Jones (WINDOWS); Bharat Shah (NT); Joe Peterson; Will Poole; Brian Valentine; Anoop Gupta (RESEARCH)
Subject: Windows Usability Systematic degradation flame

I am quite disappointed at how Windows Usability has been going backwards and the program management groups don't drive usability issues.

Let me give you my experience from yesterday.

I decided to download (Moviemaker) and buy the Digital Plus pack ... so I went to Microsoft.com. They have a download place so I went there.

The first 5 times I used the site it timed out while trying to bring up the download page. Then after an 8 second delay I got it to come up.

This site is so slow it is unusable.

It wasn't in the top 5 so I expanded the other 45.

These 45 names are totally confusing. These names make stuff like: C:\Documents and Settings\billg\My Documents\My Pictures seem clear.

They are not filtered by the system ... and so many of the things are strange.

I tried scoping to Media stuff. Still no moviemaker. I typed in movie. Nothing. I typed in movie maker. Nothing.

So I gave up and sent mail to Amir saying - where is this Moviemaker download? Does it exist?

So they told me that using the download page to download something was not something they anticipated.

They told me to go to the main page search button and type movie maker (not moviemaker!).

I tried that. The site was pathetically slow but after 6 seconds of waiting up it came.

I thought for sure now I would see a button to just go do the download.

In fact it is more like a puzzle that you get to solve. It told me to go to Windows Update and do a bunch of incantations.

This struck me as completely odd. Why should I have to go somewhere else and do a scan to download moviemaker?

So I went to Windows update. Windows Update decides I need to download a bunch of controls. (Not) just once but multiple times where I get to see weird dialog boxes.

Doesn't Windows update know some key to talk to Windows?

Then I did the scan. This took quite some time and I was told it was critical for me to download 17megs of stuff.

This is after I was told we were doing delta patches to things but instead just to get 6 things that are labeled in the SCARIEST possible way I had to download 17meg.

So I did the download. That part was fast. Then it wanted to do an install. This took 6 minutes and the machine was so slow I couldn't use it for anything else during this time.

What the heck is going on during those 6 minutes? That is crazy. This is after the download was finished.

Then it told me to reboot my machine. Why should I do that? I reboot every night -- why should I reboot at that time?

So I did the reboot because it INSISTED on it. Of course that meant completely getting rid of all my Outlook state.

So I got back up and running and went to Windows Update again. I forgot why I was in Windows Update at all since all I wanted was to get Moviemaker.

So I went back to Microsoft.com and looked at the instructions. I have to click on a folder called WindowsXP. Why should I do that? Windows Update knows I am on Windows XP.

What does it mean to have to click on that folder? So I get a bunch of confusing stuff but sure enough one of them is Moviemaker.

So I do the download. The download is fast but the Install takes many minutes. Amazing how slow this thing is.

At some point I get told I need to go get Windows Media Series 9 to download.

So I decide I will go do that. This time I get dialogs saying things like "Open" or "Save". No guidance in the instructions which to do. I have no clue which to do.

The download is fast and the install takes 7 minutes for this thing.

So now I think I am going to have Moviemaker. I go to my add/remove programs place to make sure it is there.

It is not there.

What is there? The following garbage is there. Microsoft Autoupdate Exclusive test package, Microsoft Autoupdate Reboot test package, Microsoft Autoupdate testpackage1. Microsoft AUtoupdate testpackage2, Microsoft Autoupdate Test package3.

Someone decided to trash the one part of Windows that was usable? The file system is no longer usable. The registry is not usable. This program listing was one sane place but now it is all crapped up.

But that is just the start of the crap. Later I have listed things like Windows XP Hotfix see Q329048 for more information. What is Q329048? Why are these series of patches listed here? Some of the patches just things like Q810655 instead of saying see Q329048 for more information.

What an absolute mess.

Moviemaker is just not there at all.

So I give up on Moviemaker and decide to download the Digital Plus Package.

I get told I need to go enter a bunch of information about myself.

I enter it all in and because it decides I have mistyped something I have to try again. Of course it has cleared out most of what I typed.

I try (typing) the right stuff in 5 times and it just keeps clearing things out for me to type them in again.

So after more than an hour of craziness and making my programs list garbage and being scared and seeing that Microsoft.com is a terrible website I haven't run Moviemaker and I haven't got the plus package.

The lack of attention to usability represented by these experiences blows my mind. I thought we had reached a low with Windows Network places or the messages I get when I try to use 802.11. (don't you just love that root certificate message?)

When I really get to use the stuff I am sure I will have more feedback.

Source

Plz leave a thx if u find this post useful . Thx .

Last edited by a moderator:
Processor C2Q6600 @ 1.6 GHz
Motherboard Anus PQ5
Cooling ACFPro
Memory GEiL2 x 1 GB PC2 6400
Video Card(s) MSi 4830 (RIP)
Storage Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320 GB Perpendicular Recording
Display(s) Dell 17'
Case El Cheepo
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Software MCE2K5
botice mr gates is still using XP?
i was about to post so thanks for posting for me.

ChromeDome

System Name Super Budget Gamer Thing lol
Processor AMD 5600+ Windsor @3.0ghz
Motherboard ASUS M3N78-VM AM2/AM2+ Micro ATX
Cooling Thermaltake TR2-R1 Ultra Silence CPU heatsink+fan / 3 exhaust case fans
Memory 3 Gigs Kingston DDR2@800mhz
Video Card(s) PNY 8800GT 512mb OC'd 710/1740/950 - 178.24
Storage 2X 320 gig Seagate Barracuda's @7200rpm - SATA
Display(s) 22in Dell LCD 1680X1050 / 21.6in AOC LCD / Hauppauge TV Tuner
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio
Power Supply Antec Earthwatts EA500D 500w
Software Vista, bby <3
Benchmark Scores yay it works! =]
nah he isn't using XP the "rant" is over 5 years old

DaMulta

My stars went supernova
System Name Work in progress
Processor AMD 955---4Ghz
Motherboard MSi GD70
Cooling OcZ Phase/water
Memory Crucial2GB kit (1GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-16000
Video Card(s) CrossfireX 2 X HD 4890 1GB OCed to 1000Mhz
Storage SSD 64GB
Display(s) Envision 24'' 1920x1200
Case Using the desk ATM
Audio Device(s) Sucky onboard for now :(
Power Supply 1000W TruePower Quattro
botice mr gates is still using XP?
i was about to post so thanks for posting for me.

I wonder what he will do part time.....

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
He doesn't hate Vista, but he doesn't like it too much either. You can hear him talk about it in various videos.

But who really cares... To everyone his own.

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
I think it's BS.. All ways have always will. Only thing make me believe that if i see Bill say it is true.

System Name Becca 2
Processor AMD A10 4600m quad core @ 2.3 ghz
Motherboard dunno
Cooling Logitech alto connect
Memory 16 Gig ddr3 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Ati HD 7660G + & 7470M
Storage 1 TB
Audio Device(s) onboard crap
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit with sp1
Big deal lets bring up something from 2003 so Bill is the same as anyone else and gets upset when something doesnt work the way it should.

Darkmind

Processor Intel Pentium Dual-Core E6600 @ 3GHz (333x9)
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
Cooling CM GeminII S
Memory G.SKILL 2x2GB @ DDR2 1000 @ 5-5-5-15
Video Card(s) XFX ATI Radeon 5870 1GB
Storage Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB
Display(s) Samsung 2220ex 21.5in
Case Antec 900 w/ 3 120mm intake fans, 1 120mm rear exhaust fan, 1 200mm top exhaust fan
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 2ZS w/ Logitech x-530 5.1 speakers
Power Supply Antec Trupower 750w
Software Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit
Bill Gates was the founder of Microsoft and runner. He should've paid more attention to what his employees were doing with Windows. So he blames his employees for something he should've taken responsibility for. He got lazy :p.

Imagine the richest guy on the world and not exactly a n00b with computers pressing enter after nearly every sentence.

System Name The Netbook
Processor Intel Atom n270
Memory 1GB DDR2 533mhz
Video Card(s) Intel G945
Storage 250GB
Display(s) 10.1" LCD
Software Microsoft Windows 7 Starter x86
Imagine the richest guy on the world and not exactly a n00b with computers pressing enter after nearly every sentence.

Kinda makes you laugh doesn't it. You can just imagine Bill getting frustrated.
P.S. I have a hard time believing that Bill didn't know whether to select run or save as when downloading a program.

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
This is definitely fake. It is an unstructured ramble. This is not the way Bill thinks, talks, or writes.

No adult uses the word "SCARIEST"

CLOSE IT

bohica_34613

System Name IT , that thing
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @3.2 29c @ 1.28v
Motherboard ASUS P5K3 DELUXE
Cooling Arctic Freezer Pro 7
Memory 2Gb OCZ DDR3
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD3850 512
Storage WD Raptor 74gb 10,000 SATA/WD 250 Gb SATA
Display(s) Acer X203W
Case Coolermaster
Audio Device(s) Onboard sound
Power Supply Thermaltake 600w
Software XP PRO SP2
I can't picture Bill downloading anything, what I can picture him saying is to get him a computer that works !!!

Darkmind is right he got lazy, i guess that's what happens when ya got bucks