1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Biometrics for Clocking In

Discussion in 'General Software' started by OrbitzXT, Oct 8, 2010.

1. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    My bosses at work are really going all out when it comes to trying to computerize our operations. This is an electrical contractor business I work for, so they employ a lot of individuals who are typically out in the field working at a particular job site. At the moment, the foreman on the job site basically takes attendance and lets the office know who worked at the jobsite and from when to when.

The bosses here in the office for whatever reason do not like this system and wish to make it a little more accurate and honest. I suppose since a lot of these union guys are very friendly with each other the foreman will cover for a person and that's not acceptable to the office.

Were experimenting with Tablet PCs and giving them to the foreman at each job site. It's being used for a number of different things but now they'd like to get a biometric scanner and have each employee on the jobsite clock in individually via thumb print or something along those lines.

I've never really set something up like that before, but I'm the closest thing to a tech guy we have in the office here so it becomes my task to accomplish. Which then in turn I come here and you brilliant people help me out (I love you all) :)

So yeah...how should I approach this? The tablet does not have any kind of biometric scanner built into it. I'll have to purchase one but don't really know how to go about shopping for them. Any help as always would be greatly appreciated.

2. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was looking at something simple like this:

http://www.officedepot.com/a/produc...-DE11-B7F3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA#tab3

It's reasonably priced and I believe should work with the tablet PC, correct? My only concern is I wonder if there are any work arounds or loopholes where this can be abused by any dishonest workers? This whole idea is to stop paying people for extra time that they're not even there. I don't want to propose an idea to the bosses and have it not work out, cause I'll look like an idiot.

3. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    That device seem nice enough and all, but because it has to do with attendance and payroll and is union; I would think you are going to need a professional solution that will also offer the software as well as the hardware. I may be wrong but even if I am it will be in the Constructions company's best interest to go with a professional solution.

lol I actually thought overclocking something or another at first!...lol

4. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well the website says the fingerprint scanner comes with their "Attendance RX" software. Isn't that all I need or should I look elsewhere?

5. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    I don't have much to offer, other than good luck trying to get a union shop to give up thier thumbprints :)

6. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    Good point! And face recognitions sucks ass as you can normally just hold a picture up and it will authenticate.

I dont know much about Attendance RX but the desciption leads me to believe yes it will work.

7. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm new around here, is that really going to be an issue? The bosses never tell me anything, just what they want done and not any issues I might bump into.

8. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    Well maybe with a disclosure that the Company will never ever release the thumb print to any other organization like the POLICE.

9. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    As opposed to the clocking in and out using thumb prints which may become a problem with legal issues, the only other thing I could think of is using a swipe card that is assigned to each employer.

10. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    I spoke to two of my bosses about what was discussed in this thread. They told me that it's likely to be frowned upon but they'll handle all that and they'd just like me to go ahead and set it up.

The original thumbprint scanned that I was looking at here:

http://www.officedepot.com/a/produc...-DE11-B7F3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA#tab3

Apparently does not work with Windows 7, which is the OS on the Tablet PCs that goes out into the field. The software, AttendanceRx, works fine, but the actual piece of hardware is incompatible according to the makers who I called.

I'm having trouble finding a portable thumbprint scanner like that with accompanying software. Might I be able to use the AttendanceRx software with a different piece of hardware? Or is it likely designed to only work with the thumbprint reader I originally linked?

After my discussion with the bosses, the solution must be one that stops the electricians from "buddy punching". One of the bosses here is an electrician and used to work in the field and claims it happens quite often in this union.

11. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    You might be better off using something like the military CAC. To sign in an show we reported for work you put the card in a computer, log in, then go to a program that records that data to a central computer.

But im a cop, not a desk jockey, so I cant really help you beyond the general concept. Having had to deal with finger print scanners and whatnot I can say their a huge pain in the balls. Especially in the field where your hands are gonna be dirty, and the scanner itself is gonna be dirty.

some card readers:

http://www.militarycac.com/laptopcards.htm

http://www.militarycac.com/keyboards.htm

http://www.militarycac.com/usbreaders.htm

OrbitzXT and DRDNA say thanks.
  12. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    Very good point about the dirty thumbs !

13. SNiiPE_DoGG New Member

Thanks Received:
    thumbprint scanners are easy to beat using a simple black and white printout of a given fingerprint.... unless you spend a boatload of money.

14. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    My boss had an idea that seemed simple but effective. The tablets have a built in webcam that I'm sure can take small snapshot jpegs. His idea was to essentially have them clock in using a .jpeg with a time stamp on it that would get emailed back to the office for him to check on a weekly basis. The files wouldn't be too large I imagine, and each individual job site only has 4-10 workers at a time. So that's 2 jpegs a day per person clocking in and later again clocking out.

I don't really see any major flaws with this system, and it doesn't seem like a huge inconvenience to anyone at the job site. The individual electricians can take the snapshot quickly and go off to work, and the foreman at the site who is responsible for the attendance can email them all at the end of the day.

15. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    do the bosses not trust the foreman to make a phone call saying "yup everyones here and we wont b leaving until such and such a time"

16. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    No, they don't. As I said before, one of my bosses was an electrician who worked out on the field himself not so long ago. It's apparently very common for friends within the union to "buddy punch" another in. I know like it sounds like they're trying to be strict with trying to implement fingerprint scanners, or snapping a JPEG, etc. But it's a business and they're fair people, they're just making sure they're not getting taken advantage of since they've been using an honor system for so long where a foreman just calls in the info.

Ordinarily, they would just pop in at the job site to check in and I guess "spy". But a lot of these jobs are happening at odd hours where that just isn't feasible.

17. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    what's the cost of policing vs. the cost due to buddy punch ins ?
    what about employee happiness?

18. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    that is a terrible idea. it is going to PISS off those union guys. also, it will raise some ethical questions about using bio readings on the job to track employees.

the best management decision is to simply improve relations with the foreman.

19. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's impossible to know how much money is lost due to buddy punch ins at the moment. Electricians get paid a fair amount of money here from a couple of papers I've seen left around. $40-55 an hour, and then $70 something an hour for overtime. Depending on how much this is going on, that can easily add up to thousands a year.

The business is owned by 3 family members, a father and his son and daughter. The father originally retired a number of years ago but due to the financial crisis in the US the last few years he came back to the business to try and save as much money as possible. So I think really their priority is tightening any leaking faucets right now, and not with the happiness of the union electricians they employ. They've been more than fair with them for over 20 years, they just want to make sure they're not getting cheated now.

20. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    Orbitz; you may want to join the Union, or at least speak to the Union representative to get some feedback and/or ideas from him/her first, see what they're willing to do and come to an agreement.
    Some kind of relation between you and the employees/Union will hopefully stop them hating you when it comes into effect.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  21. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    I like this idea, I'll admit I dont have much real world union knowledge. But it comes up alot in college business classes I've taken. And making sure the union isnt gonna shit a brick over these changes might be a good idea.

scaminatrix says thanks.
  22. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    they most definitely will. and since the company he works for is small, they should expect to see some union thugs outside their homes as soon as this change is implemented.

23. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    Send them buggers my way ...I will straighten them out! Nothing worse than a thug and the thug ways...... I am a little guy but have been giving many combat skills! I am good for 3-5 of them buggers no problem.:cool:

24. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    combat skills from your WoW account don't count in real life :laugh:

jjnissanpatfan, ShiBDiB and cadaveca say thanks.
  25. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    While I agree with you guys about the potential union issues, I am new here and my bosses have assured me they'll deal with the fallout and they would just like a solution. So what do you think is the best way to deal with buddy punching at job sites outside of the office?