• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

BIOS Flash FAIL?

Ok, so I bought a 4830 and because I am an overclocker I just had to bios flash it to a higher vcore.. but like an idiot i never backed up the original BIOS.................... I know.... I know... and I have done this before... the good news is that windows boots, everything runs fine... but the drivers in windows aren't detecting the video card now, i'll rephrase, in the device manager says "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems." But it shows up as "ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series"... ive reinstalled the drivers and everything... I never really did much to the bios either. I tryed putting the bios back to what it was before i flashed it but no luck.... If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them. OR even if someone has the same video card that they could get me the bios from that would be great also. I will admit it's the first time i bios flashed in windows.. i usually do it in dos.

Oh yeah I have PowerColor AX4830 512MD3 Radeon HD 4830 512MB 256-...

THIS video card...

D

Deleted member 67555

Ok, so I bought a 4830 and because I am an overclocker I just had to bios flash it to a higher vcore.. but like an idiot i never backed up the original BIOS.................... I know.... I know... and I have done this before... the good news is that windows boots, everything runs fine... but the drivers in windows aren't detecting the video card now, i'll rephrase, in the device manager says "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems." But it shows up as "ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series"... ive reinstalled the drivers and everything... I never really did much to the bios either. I tryed putting the bios back to what it was before i flashed it but no luck.... If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them. OR even if someone has the same video card that they could get me the bios from that would be great also. I will admit it's the first time i bios flashed in windows.. i usually do it in dos.

Oh yeah I have PowerColor AX4830 512MD3 Radeon HD 4830 512MB 256-...

THIS video card...
Yeah I have that card PM me your Email and I'll send it to you
or I'll figure out a way to upload it or something

D

Deleted member 67555

Here is the Download location in the TPU VGA BIOS database

D

Deleted member 67555

The GPU-Z screenshot was with a Powercolor AX4830 If you go to the Newegg link that you put up and look at the Feedback I'm the forth one down...

Now if you look at the screenshot I put up and look at the BIOS Version you'll see they match as well as the release date and device ID..

It's the right BIOS

The memory on the AX4830 is crappy Qimonda HYB18H512321AF-P memory that's why it's different in the BIOS...Powercolor basically put these cards together with scraps

Here is the BIOS from another 4830 so You can see the differences

I tried it, using ATIFlash in DOS with no luck... it flashed successfully but no change in windows.. It's a little strange because im using my pc and watching videos perfectly it's as if the drivers aren't installed... Well I guess that just means that the card isn't bricked.. just fubared.. lol Any more help would be welcome but I am highly doubtful anything else will work... Is there a way to clear the bios COMPLETELY and flash it after?? idk.. just grasping at straws now.. :p

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ the OP> Just curious...
Run GPU-z and post the screen shot.

Last edited:
yeah, it flashed ok, but still no change when it comes to the drivers.. catalyst says no graphics driver installed... device manager says there's a problem.. idk what to do... The only difference in my gpuz and yours is that it says (catalyst 10.12) in your driver version???

Over50

System Name Self Built May 2008
Processor Intel E8500 Duo 2 Core 3.16GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X48T-DQ
Cooling Zalman CNPS9500
Memory OCZ3P2000EB4GK DDR3 2000MHz (2x2GB)
Video Card(s) ATI HD 6870 Twin Froz II (MSI)
Storage Seagate 1TB SATA (x3)
Display(s) Acer P243W 24in LCD
Case Thermaltake Armor Plus
Power Supply Zalman ZM850-HP 850W
Software Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit OS
ALright.. your BIOS is correct but cannot install Drivers and Device Manager says conflict or show not identified.

I would go to SAFE Mode ... Uninstall ATI Display Driver.
Uninstall CCC (Catalyst Control Center)
Using Driver Sweeper program ..run and delete only ATI Display items.
It should just about wipe everything in your Registry and Driver Folder that pertained to ATI.
Can also use Ccleaner program if ya want after Driver Sweeper.
Delete content inside Prefetch folder. ( within /Windows folder you should locate Prefetch)
Temporary Folder should also be dumped.

When finished ..reboot PC ... run normal ..Windows running ... regular VGA driver loaded ...
now install AMD/ATI Catalyst 10.12 ( whole thing except the Trial Game but that is up to you ).

Have fun!

ALright.. your BIOS is correct but cannot install Drivers and Device Manager says conflict or show not identified.

I would go to SAFE Mode ... Uninstall ATI Display Driver.
Uninstall CCC (Catalyst Control Center)
Using Driver Sweeper program ..run and delete only ATI Display items.
It should just about wipe everything in your Registry and Driver Folder that pertained to ATI.
Can also use Ccleaner program if ya want after Driver Sweeper.
Delete content inside Prefetch folder. ( within /Windows folder you should locate Prefetch)
Temporary Folder should also be dumped.

When finished ..reboot PC ... run normal ..Windows running ... regular VGA driver loaded ...
now install AMD/ATI Catalyst 10.12 ( whole thing except the Trial Game but that is up to you ).

Have fun!

Thanks but it never worked, I did it all and still no change, I even thought of formatting and starting fresh... this all started when I flashed the BIOS so something messed up then, I don't think messing with drivers will do anything so I wont be formatting... When I go to rivatuner there' GPU0 and GPU1, GPU0 is "Default monitor" and GPU1 is "unattached device" The unattached device, when selected, shows my gpu specs (256bit, rv770, 512MB..etc..) but when I go in to "low level system settings" I only get the option to change fan speed, and it does work... I also noticed that in GPUZ I used to have a voltage reading in sensors before I flashed it at all, now it's gone.. The BIOS flash must have went wrong and now wont flash right, even when it says it's ok.. So no one knows a ways to force clear the bios, I do have a pci card to use to do it, or.. idk.. like I said, grabbing at straws now :p

chamu

System Name Very Light Gaming, Multimedia & Microcontroller Progamming PC
Processor AMD Sempron 140 (sadly can't unlock) run at 2.7Ghz with 1.10V
Motherboard ASROCK 880GM-LE
Cooling Stock colling from AMD sempron 140 BOX
Memory V-Gen 2GB DDR3 PC-1333
Video Card(s) FORSA HD 4670 1GB 128bit DDR3
Storage Seagate sata2 500GB cache 16MB
Display(s) LG 17in FLATRON L1753S
Case Simbadda Sim Cool 806
Audio Device(s) On-board Mainboard (Realtek ALC662)
Power Supply AcBel E2 470 OEM Pure 420W Peak 470W,Dual rail,20+4pin1x4+4,5x peripheral 4pin,1xfdd 4pin,1x 6pin PC
Ok Try this, may be i can solve your problem. First, you must prepare the software like:
1. GPU-Z version latest
2. RBE version latest
3. ATIWINFLASH version latest
4. ATI CATALYST 10.12 (LATEST)
That software you can download at www.techpowerup.com
OK let's begin
1. Dump your VGA BIOS with GPU-Z & save to your HDD
2. Open RBE and load bios with your VGA BIOS
3. At RBE you must change Sub vendor ID from vendor: 0x0000 to vendor: 0x1002-ATI
4. Save your edit bios
5. Run Atiwinflash & load your edit bios &then PROGRAM ........until Finish...then REBOOT
6. Install Driver ATI CATALYST 10.12
7. Done

Ok Try this, may be i can solve your problem. First, you must prepare the software like:
1. GPU-Z version latest
2. RBE version latest
3. ATIWINFLASH version latest
4. ATI CATALYST 10.12 (LATEST)
That software you can download at www.techpowerup.com
OK let's begin
1. Dump your VGA BIOS with GPU-Z & save to your HDD
2. Open RBE and load bios with your VGA BIOS
3. At RBE you must change Sub vendor ID from vendor: 0x0000 to vendor: 0x1002-ATI
4. Save your edit bios
5. Run Atiwinflash & load your edit bios &then PROGRAM ........until Finish...then REBOOT
6. Install Driver ATI CATALYST 10.12
7. Done

I can't get my BIOS from GPU-Z it says incompatible hardware... I had to "aquire bios" from ATI Win Flash to get it... It's strange too... the BIOS file that jmcslob gave me, when I put it into atiwinflash, is totally different than what I get when I aquire it from my gpu after I flashed it using that bios file..

chamu

System Name Very Light Gaming, Multimedia & Microcontroller Progamming PC
Processor AMD Sempron 140 (sadly can't unlock) run at 2.7Ghz with 1.10V
Motherboard ASROCK 880GM-LE
Cooling Stock colling from AMD sempron 140 BOX
Memory V-Gen 2GB DDR3 PC-1333
Video Card(s) FORSA HD 4670 1GB 128bit DDR3
Storage Seagate sata2 500GB cache 16MB
Display(s) LG 17in FLATRON L1753S
Case Simbadda Sim Cool 806
Audio Device(s) On-board Mainboard (Realtek ALC662)
Power Supply AcBel E2 470 OEM Pure 420W Peak 470W,Dual rail,20+4pin1x4+4,5x peripheral 4pin,1xfdd 4pin,1x 6pin PC
I can't get my BIOS from GPU-Z it says incompatible hardware... I had to "aquire bios" from ATI Win Flash to get it... It's strange too... the BIOS file that jmcslob gave me, when I put it into atiwinflash, is totally different than what I get when I aquire it from my gpu after I flashed it using that bios file..

You can install catalyst 10.12 if your subvendor ID is 0x1002 (ATI). Because this is incompatible driver Catalyst 10.12. if your subvendor ID is 0x0000. Alternatively, you can install ATI CATALYST DRIVER VERSION 9.4 or 9.8