1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

BIOS Flash - no floppy - MSI P35 Platinum

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Ypnos, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Ypnos New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi everyone

I'm having a couple of issues with my MSI P35 Platinum.

One is that I have 3 HDD's plugged in. 2 are in RAID0 mode, but Intel Matric Stoage Console insists that the 3rd hard drive is also a RAID hard drive, but "not working". I don't want the 3rd drive to be RAIDed, I just need it to access backed up files. How do I stop it trying to make it a RAID drive?

The second question is, how do I flash my AMI BIOS if I don't have a floppy drive? I'm running Vista 32 btw.

TIA!

2. KBD New Member

Thanks Received:
  3. Ypnos New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the quick response! I have a USB flash drive, but have no idea how to do it...

4. KBD New Member

Thanks Received:
    I recomend going to your board's manufacturer site, they usually have instructions on how exactly it can be done. You may also want to check out their support forums/FAQ. Also your mobo manual may tell you how to do that. Or perhaps someone here can tell you how it's done. Just remember one thing, be very careful when you do this and follow the ibnstructions to the letter, you can really mess yourself up if you make a mistake.

5. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
  6. Ypnos New Member

Thanks Received:
    KBD - thanks, looking into it at the moment following Darknova's recommendation. Unfortuantely their only advice on the official site is to use a floppy. The USB version isn't working out too well either as I get "Error loading operating system".

7. Ypnos New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nope - whilst the utility pointed out by Darknova appears to install correctly, when I try to boot from it gives an error "Missing Operating System"

8. Ypnos New Member

Thanks Received:
    Works! Need to use the HP USB Format utility to format the USB key with in order for the MSI utility to work. Thanks!

9. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    I never had to :confused:

Just used a FAT32 formatted USB stick, ran the utility, pointed it at the zip file the BIOS image was in, let it do it's thing.

Then on boot up you hold F11 and when the boards boot menu comes up you select your USB key.

10. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Can you provide a link? Thanks...

11. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    During POST press "control I" and make sure your third HD is set as a non-raid disk if you haven't already.

For flashing without a floppy I use a USB flash drive to store the BIOS files and Ultimate Boot CD to boot to DOS.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
    Ypnos says thanks.
  12. Ypnos New Member

Thanks Received:

HP Util (wait a couple of seconds for the download to initialise)

Polaris, thanks but according to MSI, it appears that this is a problem with P35 chipsets. Once RAID is enabled, it's enabled for all ports... Will try the 5th port.