1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

bios flash of msi 6950 to 6970

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by ronss, Oct 3, 2011.

1. ronss New Member

Thanks Received:
    okay, i save the bios on the msi 6950 i just bought...i looked to make sure the switch is on setting one, and to my surprise, there is no switch on this card

does this make my flashing of this card not possible, did msi purposely take the switch off this card?"???

2. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It may still be possible, is it a 1GB or 2GB card and can you link to the specific model on the MSI site please, often these things can be hit and miss with some having success and others not, of course without the dual Bios the risks are higher unless you have a 2nd card to boot to should things go wrong.

3. ronss New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks...i did not realize that the switch was taken off some cards....also, i read those that did do the bios change, were starting to have some trouble later.....due to the differences between the 2 card bios,s, and settings.

4. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    -Put your stock bios into Radeon Bios Editor.
    -In RBE, tick the box to unlock the shaders.
    -Flash the card with ATiFlash
    -Check GPU-Z to see if the shader have increased.
    -Check for stability

*With flashing your GPU bios there is always a risk of breaking your card. Keep this in mind.

5. Outback Bronze

Outback Bronze

Thanks Received:
    We tried flashing my mates xfx 6950 that had no switch and had no joy. First the bios was locked so we had to unlock it, then we tried to flash it but was saying "nope" unlucky. Im assuming that some of the cards that have no switch are permantly stuck in the "2' position which means its basically impossible to flash. I didnt get to have a huge go at it because its his card but it just seems that way. Somebody here might of had success.