1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bios flash problem

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by TheMailMan78, Jan 21, 2009.

1. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
  2. nafets New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am unsure if it works with Vista, but have you tried MSI's Live Update Online? It may be easier for you if you're not good with making a DOS boot disk...
  3. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Winflash FTW. I have used this on every board I have flashed. Only bricked one board with it and it was completely my fault, used a beta bios that I already sorta knew would kill it, just had to check for myself!

It is a bit confusing to use, if you cant figure it all out hit me up I can get a short user guide together for ya!
  4. CH@NO

CH@NO New Member

Thanks Received:
    visit www.bootdisk.com to find the DOS version of Win 98, just make sure you have the correct BIOS or you'll screw up your motherboard, also check the copy/writting mode of your floppy drive, corrupted BIOS can screw up your mobo also (better use an USB stick), and prey that while updating the lights don't go off.
  5. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    Google MSI Forums, should bring up their forums. I found a nice tool in there for flashing BIOS once.
  6. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    Make sure you disconnect any devices like your mouse from the system before flashing.
    only leave the keyboard in I believe.

if your mouse moves during flashing it could screw you entirely..
    I'm sure other devices could mess it up as well.
    or at least it used to be that way unless things have changed.
  7. Mandown

Mandown New Member

Thanks Received:
    If your just making a boot disk it doesn't matter what version of windows you have all make the same boot disk. Just get a empty floppy disk and click format and check "create a ms-dos startup disk", and there you go. Then you make another disk with the flash utility and the BIOS. Then when you reboot, boot to your floppy drive first with the boot disk then when your in DOS Put the other disk in. When you run the flash utility It will tell you when to type to Flash BIOS. Should be something like afudxxx.exe (BIOS file) /reboot. That's how I've flashed all my BIOS. MSI and ASUS. Both the Instructions i used for both, both said do not use a floppy yet told you to use one.:wtf:
  8. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok a simple guide would be GREAT! Also where can I get this Winflash? I only found it for ATI cards and I need it for mobos.
  9. r9

r9

Thanks Received:
    Don`t bother. From the driver disk install from utilities MSI live monitor it will log on MSI site and allow you to flash to latest BIOS from Windows.
    This is for flashing official MSI bios. If you want to flash some beta bios or modified you will have to use other means. And there is wizard from w1zard :D how to create bootable USB drive I used that to flash my Video card but can be used for all kind of flashing.

I`m looking for the wizard link.
  10. v-zero Guest

That's a load of crap. IO is ignored during bios flashing.
  11. r9

r9

Thanks Received:
    +1 Yes you can`t move mouse during flashing.

Power shortage and impatience can lead to failed flash. What I`m trying to say if during windows flashing flashing software don`t respond (freezes) for couple seconds or min don`t res the PC that is all. And if for some reason BIOS flashing fails. You will need just floppy and there is simple tutorial how to blind flash from fdd it is simple.

Even if you use MSI LIve monitor that I have use it like 10 000 times on OC system and windows installation 1 year old with no problem. Even I don`t recommend this :D (OCed system and bad condition of the OS)

And for AWARD bios use Winflash if you want to flash some other bios than the latest official bios from MSI.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  12. r9

r9

Thanks Received:
    Just figured that I have not updated my latest mobo :D It is like 3-4 days old :D
    I just can`t find the wizard from w1zard on how to make bootable USB. If some can phone him to post the link :D
  13. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    Do you have the mobo disk that came with your mobo? If so then on that disk should be MSI tool or some thing like it that should have a tool in it that updates the Bios with out all the B.S. , Never the less it is a update utility and MSI , Asus , DFI so many now have this and you do to . install the program and run it should update the Bios with out a problem I us Asus's updater and had no problem what so ever good luck man .
  14. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I've attatched , just tick it and download the .zip, then continue with the instructions in the PM. :toast:

Attached Files:

15. Polarman

Polarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Here's what i did for mine:

Download bios --> Unzip to USB key --> Boot using Win98 Disk --> Goto C: AKA USB Key --> Run AFUD42XX from there.

BTW, there's a new 1.5 bios for the DKA790GX.
  16. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    It says its not an award bios when I run Winflash. Also when I use the MSI tool or a USB it says "bad checksum" so it ends up not flashing. I reset the bios to default but still no luck. This is annoying. Any ideas?