1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bios flashing query.

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by krusin, May 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krusin New Member

Thanks Received:
    Backstory:

I have three Sapphire HD7970 Vapor-X (lightning) cards purchased for gaming/cryptocurrency mining. I didn't know that the Vapor-X version is a crappy mining card compared to other versions of the 7970. My hash rates are significantly lower than they could be. (For the miners out there I see 550k/hs but other 7970 cards are capable of ~700 k/hs)

I have searched around some mining forums to see what I can do to fix this issue and I have found that people are flashing their bios to another to see the proper hash rates.

Where you come in:

I have reflashed my bios to three different bios with atiflash with reported success, but when I restart, my screens are blacked out. The computer starts fine with no errors and runs perfectly. I can see the desktop with rdp software but my monitors don't show anything.

I have currently flashed back to stock bios, but I would like to see the returns other people are seeing...
    I feel I am missing something obvious, but I can't think what it might be.
    Any ideas?
    Last edited: May 15, 2013
  2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried overclocking?
  3. krusin New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yessir. That's the only way I see the hash rates I'm seeing now. I have built my config a half a dozen times with the same result. Others with the same version card (Vapor-X)(Lightning) are having the same issues as I am but some have solved with a bios flash.
  4. krusin New Member

Thanks Received:
    Bump. I understand bumping is frowned upon, but it's been a week...Am I out of luck with this? Has anyone had a fully functioning graphics cars with black screen issues?
  5. m&m's

m&m's

Thanks Received:
    What bios did you use? Are you using HDMI? DVI?

Edit: Also, you only have a i5 to run 3 HD 7970... That might be a cpu bottleneck and could be the reason why you only have 550 k/hs. When you're mining, are all 3 cards running at 99%? Use GPU-Z to know.
    Last edited: May 22, 2013
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. krusin New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am using HDMI for both monitors. Two of the bios I used were

I'm not completely sure what the third one was.

One bios I got from this link https://forum.litecoin.net/index.php/topic,2963.0.html

I have deleted the bios when they didn't work for me. All bios were downloaded from techpowerup, hence the posts here asking for options.

Don't get too caught up with the mining aspect of this, that was included as a back story. (No disrespect intended) The cards have an issue that can be resolved with a bios flash. The question is regarding the black screens but perfectly running computer.
  7. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

One of two; The vbios image is incorrect, *possible causes [core] [mem] and or [volt] timmings and or
    pcb revision/layout at component level disabeling the vga output signal

Two of two; The vga drivers were not fully uninstalled before flashing the vbios image
    [*flash cards individually one at a time]

atb (all the best)

Law-II
    Last edited: May 23, 2013
  8. Johan45

Johan45

Thanks Received:
    I didn't think ATi flash was working for the 7000 series cards?
    maybe you can try the Sapphire Trixx 4.4.0 beta modded... Has worked for some
  9. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:

ATi Winflash 2.3.0 is dated March 2013 so should do. Can the Op list the specs/speeds for his cards so I can look at another Bios match. Please confirm that you flashed all 3 seperatly with ONLY one card in a PCI-E slot at a time?

Edit: No wonder you have had some issues, from what I can see, one of those you have flashed is for a 6GB card and the other is for a 3GB card! :eek:
  10. krusin New Member

Thanks Received:
    I flashed with atiflash 4.07 booted from a thumb drive.
    Cards are these
    I did not flash each card separately, I didn't realize that made a difference. I will try that this weekend.
  11. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    In my experience it does make a difference so hopefully it may improve things for you, the only 2 occasions I have had flashing problems in the past were with multi GPU setups and flashing individually solved it for me on both occasions..... just make sure you flash the right one with the right amount of VRam!

If that does not work we may need to find a better Bios match for you.
    krusin says thanks.
  12. krusin New Member

Thanks Received:
    Flashing a single card worked flawlessly, thanks for the help.
    For anyone wondering, I am hashing at 650 kh/s per card without any tweaks now...It should get better when I take the time to properly set it up.
  13. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    Excellent news, glad to be of help.... resolved and thread closed.