1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

BIOS flashing

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by hat, Sep 2, 2007.

1. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    http://us.dfi.com.tw/Support/Downlo...D=4716&CATEGORY_TYPE=LP&STATUS_FLAG=A&SITE=US

So I downloaded the updated BIOS... and I want to upgrade it. It says to restory the zip file to a floppy disc and run autoexec.bat. Should I restore the zip file to the floppy disc I have with DOS on it? If it matters I made the DOS disc using Windows XP's feature of right clicking on the A:/ drive with the floppy in and selecting Format... create an MS-DOS startup disc.

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    bumpz0rz

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Thermopylae_480

Thermopylae_480 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, the floppy disc must be bootable for you to use it to upgrade BIOS. So extract the zip file to the disc you made into a startup disc.

4. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Should I clear the CMOS first or does it matter? I got some settings in my BIOS that aren't default obviously

I guess I will have to reconfigure afterwards?

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Some clear CMOS before flashing a new BIOS, I personally never have, and have seen no issues/problems because of it. It will reset defaults when flashing, at least on every board I've flashed Bios on that's how it works.

Then you can reconfigure your settings, and you're good to go. On a side note, my P5B saved my OC Profiles so I just reloaded my current one (500FSB/3.5ghz e6300/DDR2 1000) and off I went.

:toast:

6. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    That was effortless. I feel retarded now asking for all the help but I guess you can never be too careful eh

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Hey better safe than sorry right? Might as well ask and make sure you are prepared before diving in blind and unknowingly. I've flashed many Bioses over the years, and it's always been easy, they make it a little easier with some MB's now. Glad it went successfully for ya!

:toast: