1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bios for P9X79 deluxe will not overclock

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by pabloottawa, Jun 18, 2012.

1. pabloottawa

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys,

Just wondering how tye gurus here do it. Ive had my P9X79 deluxe. Oard for about a week now and aside from slightly higher temps than normal it is overclocking ONLY if I use AI Suite. Also, from my understanding, AI Suite only overclocks on windows start up. I think I read this somewhere and it seems to make sense since all I see on the post report is the stock frequency.

My question is, how do I get the board to overclock successfully through the BIOS only????

I must be missing something because every time I've tried it, it keeps going back to stock on the post report. Do i have to disable AI Suite in the bios? I really am lost here as ive tried several different ways to get the bios to OC.... All to no avail

Cheers and thanks

2. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
  3. pabloottawa

Thanks Received:
    Aha!!!! I knew it was there somewhere. Don't know how I missed it.

Thanks!!!!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  4. pabloottawa

Thanks Received:
    Oh and one last thing. Do i need to uninstall or disable AI Suite in windows?

5. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    You don't need it, won't make a difference in clocking stability.

Law-II says thanks.
  6. pabloottawa

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys,

When we las discussed this I wasn't sure if I had AI tweak set to manual so when i got home from work i checked and sure enough it was set to manual. I even went to AI Suite and disabled the windows based OC utility.

I then tried a few configurations and no matter what I tried it still would not register on the post report nor would it show up on the windows report. Is this even possible with these newer boards???

I know it's overclocking because even though it doesn't show on the windows report, core temp and CPU-Z show it clocked at 3.9 or whatever setting inset it to. The thing is, I feel it would be much more stable if I clocked it the traditional way, through the BIOS and run my stress tests.

If anyone here can has their 3930K overclocked with it showing on THE POST REPORT running an Asus P9X79 Deluxe, I'd love to see what your BIOS settings are.

Processor: i7 3930K 3.2 stock @ 4.50
    Motherboard: Asus P9X79 Deluxe
    Cooling: Corsair H100
    Memory: 24GB Kingston HyperX triple channel
    Video Card(s): ASUS ENGTX560 TI DCII/2DI/1GD5 SLI
    Hard Disk(s): Mushkin Chronos Primary Drive, 2 OCZ Agility 2 60GB SSD drives in Raid 0 (old OS) and 2 Seagate Barracudas in RAID 0
    Optical Drive: LG Blu Ray Burner
    LCD/CRT Model: HP 2511X LED 25"
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 922
    Sound Card: Onboard
    Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Power 1000W
    Software: Win 7 x64 Ultimate

7. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Oh, you are on X79, eh? LuLz, let's put this right here:

So, with the "K" and "X" chips, you need to use turbo multis to overclock. SO unless TUrbo is enabled (really only happens in Windows), the POST display will only show what the "regular" multis clock it to.

Here's what I do...I adjust the Turbo multi, voltage, VCCSA, vDIMM, and memory speed and timings, the rest you can leave on auto.

I'm using the P9X79 Deluxe, so fundamentally, our boards are very similar.

Law-II says thanks.
  8. pabloottawa

Thanks Received:
    Thanks Cadaveca,

I'll try this stuff when I get home tonight. So I have to ask, with your settings like this. Do you see the overclock on the post report and in the windows report?

9. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Nope. I mean, I see some of it, but only because I run 128 MHz on the CPU's bus. It shows my 3960X @ 4128 MHz on the POST screen, but in Windows, it's 4.6 GHz. That max "natural" multi on that chip is 33. Anything higher is Turbo. If i manualyl set anything higher, the board enables Turbo automatically.

My 3820, now that chip, it has 36 multi naturally, so @ 128 MHz, it shows 4.6 GHz. The two chips are very different in how they work in that regard.

Now, your chip is like my 3960X.

:rockout:

10. Fleurious

Fleurious

Thanks Received:
    That makes a lot of sense Cadaveca, I was always curious why the post would sometimes show an overclock and sometimes not when I was first overclocking (bouncing between 100x and 125x strap.

OT:
    My 3930k won't for the life of it do anything over 4.2GHz even pushing up to 1.4v. :banghead: I swear I have the worst overclocking 3930k out there.

11. pabloottawa

Thanks Received:
    From what i can remember there is "turbo" and "turbo ratio" and im even wondering if there is another turbo thing somewhere in there. Which one should be set?

12. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Set the top setting here to "By All Cores", and the listing will change to have jsut one turbo option there, which will be applied to all loads.

[​IMG]

There is also this page:

[​IMG]

Just have it set as I do in this screenshot.

Attached Files:

13. pabloottawa

Thanks Received:
    BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Thanks Cadaveca, I'll ty this when I get home at 6.

14. pabloottawa

Thanks Received:
    Ok i give up!!!

Well,

I tried various different ways to overclock this sucker so that it shows up in Windows and the post report but nothing has worked.

I'm not too frustrated though. It was a learning experience and "kinda" fun although kneeling on the floor re-applying TIM and experimenting with cooing results was NOT (that's what my back is telling me).

It seems that due to Intel Speed Step technology and all the automated perks we get with today's Motherboards and processors, the old days of bios tweaking and testing are slipping by the wayside to give way to automated overclocking and to be honest, it's not that bad. Asus has done such an excellent job with their software and UEFI BIOS that turn key overclocking so far, seems to work and work WELL. Well enough for the average enthusiast to overclock and not have to worry about frying his CPU or Motherboard.

I can't help but congratulate Asus on an EXCELLENT line of motherboards. Every company makes a bad batch on average but I have yet to really find any significant faults with Asus products and customer service which I'll add I've used many times with great success.

Thanks again to everyone who helped.

:toast: