1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bios Issues

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Dillinger, Mar 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dillinger

Dillinger

Thanks Received:
    My Brother has this Toshiba Laptop PC.. & he got a popup from Toshiba that told him that there was a Bios update lol so he "clicked" on that & updated it.. Well it killed his Laptop! wiped out the Bios.... (yes I told him if it isn't broke don't fix it) but he had no idea what bios does. I so know what bios does and what it's for & why it would be necessary to update it. My Question is How can I load bios back onto the chip? any search criteria I use only brings up people who have had this same problem. If Bios was loaded onto the chip then it can be loaded back onto it.

2. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Did you try to reset it? Is it still under warranty? The BIOS needs to be replaced if a reset does not work

Dillinger says thanks.
  3. Asylum

Asylum

Thanks Received:
    You will have to blind flash it back to the last bios version.

Cant remember how to do that but a search should find it for you.

I remember reading about it but its been awhile.

Crap I might be thinking video...im tired.

You cant bring up the bios at all?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
    Dillinger says thanks.
  4. Dillinger

Dillinger

Thanks Received:
    oh man (blind flash) ok let me look that up........ thanks

5. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Its not blind flash that's for GPUs Its hot flash but try to reset it first. Again is it under warranty?

I would get Toshiba on the phone. Its there update that screwed you

Dillinger says thanks.
  6. Dillinger

Dillinger

Thanks Received:
    yes his PC is under warranty but he's leaving for Afghanistan in a week & he wants it working by then. I'm finding new content by these new search words... thanks

7. Dillinger

Dillinger

Thanks Received:
    No his Laptop will not boot up at all... even the fan will not spin up... only a power light & a battery light ..

8. Protagonist

Protagonist

Thanks Received:
    There is a key combination, you hold then it will enter

Dillinger says thanks.
  9. Dillinger

Dillinger

Thanks Received:
    Yes from what I'm reading it's Fn Key + B.......... I'm researching the hell out of this right now.

10. Protagonist

Protagonist

Thanks Received:
    They are various keys too, plus you will need to have the BIOS in a boot-able flash drive or disk for it to work, it's basically blind flash.

Unfortunately very many Toshiba laptops have this problem, i have since moved all my clients to Acer, Dell and other brands just not Toshiba, i don't recommend Toshiba to anyone any more for the last 3 years.

Most of this incidences lead to the BIOS chip has to be changed or simply Toshiba will recommend that you need a new motherboard. If the blind flash method does not work.

Dillinger says thanks.
  11. Dillinger

Dillinger

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I'll keep trying I want my brother to have a PC when he's over "there"

12. Morrison5891

Morrison5891 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Try removing the battery while the laptop is still plugged in... Hold the power button for like 30 seconds to power off. Wait a minute or two then power back on holding the F2 key. There should be an option to reset the bios. Has worked on some older laptops.

Dillinger says thanks.
  13. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    What is the laptop model? More specifically what type of BIOS did it had? Insyde? AMI? Award Phoenix? There are different BIOS recovery methods for each of them.

Dillinger says thanks.
  14. lZKoce

lZKoce

Thanks Received:
    +1 for Morrison, I had to make a fresh install on one Toshiba laptop, but it kept giving "BSODs" on the BIOS update prior to the Windows installation. Took the battery out, held the start button for 30 seconds. Plugged in only the power cord (no battery), and everything went smooth as butter. Give it a shot.

Dillinger says thanks.
  15. Dillinger

Dillinger

Thanks Received:
    I have no idea what the bios version was but the model # & make are toshiba p875-s7200 it was running Award Phoenix

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  16. Dillinger

Dillinger

Thanks Received:
    Yes Iv'e tried that many times & that didn't work at all.

17. vawrvawerawe

Thanks Received:
    HAHA yea, it is BUSTED, he needs a new MOBO now!!! :banghead:

And for your info, it's Not Possible to put BIOS back on the chip. Well, let me put it this way, it's possible but Far Cheaper to simply buy a new MOBO then to try to buy the thousands (or tens of thousands) of dollars worth of equipment needed to restore a bios (and not to mention the tech who has the skills to operate it). And even then it's not absolutely cetain that the BIOS could be restored.

And if the BIOS is busted, they will not take it back for returns.

In summary, time for you to go shopping for a new MOBO (or new laptop). You can probably still sell the laptop for parts (except MOBO), or you may try to sell the hole thing on ebay as NOT WORKING, BIOS DEAD and explain what happened. Some person out there may be willing to pay so that at least you get something back instead of having a total loss.

Alternatively you could try to return it to the manufacturer, but don't tell them how you broke it, just say it stopped working. But of course this is not entirely ethical; but if you don't get caught, then no one will know (after all, it was their fault they sent a BIOS update to a layman). But don't be surprised if they send it back and not give the refund if they find out it was your fault.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  18. Dillinger

Dillinger

Thanks Received:
    You know what! who are you to be so smug & ignorant about Hot Flashing a BIOS Chip? I fixed my problem... That's Right:rockout: I fixed it... Download the latest bios, I extracted, & renamed exe to *.zip, & copy the file with *.rom extension and paste to folder, in the folder crisis...I created a boot disc from a flash drive & pressed Fn + B while turning on the PC & it (re-installed) the BIOS.. And What did you say ummm oh yeah..(Not Possible) pffffft you were wrong.. but that's ok everyone can be wrong... Iv'e been wrong many times... Listen you condensing little ass! I come here for help & to read up on the latest Tech News, I don't wanna hear someone like you sit there & berate me or anyone else who is looking for help ..
    Oh what was this?((((And if the BIOS is busted, they will not take it back for returns.)<-- you said that.. infact a Toshiba Rep said they would replace it, because it was their Bios update that they put out & they were getting hundreds of calls... but again my brother if is doing another tour in the Middle East....you know that war over there?

You see there! your words are so contradictory... it wasn't my fault I never updated the BIOS. ..the (contradictory) part is you saying it was their fault then saying it was my fault & it wasn't me who again didn't update the BIOS.. really dude how is that any help to anything? please read some books on social & word structure skills. :cool:

And What was this other rude condensing words you through at me?
    ... Really dude? let me make this perfectly clear! that laptop is still under warranty & they (Toshiba) are still willing to fix it "FOR FREE".... However! My brother is being shipped off to AFGHANISTAN IN ONE WEEK! & Toshiba told him it would take 1 to 2 months before he'd get his Laptop back! IF YOU HAD READ MY INITIAL POST YOU'D KNOW THAT!
    & Your
    ....wow If I wanted to be harassed, & berated in some public threads over this I'd go into youtube videos & post this issue there.. "Let me make this perfectly clear" I came here for the communities help not to be chastised by some kid who has no idea how to carry on a civil convo in a public forum... let me also say that I have been a member here for 8 years & I have never had anyone treat me in such a negative manner or post the trash that you posted to me here tonight! Listen here man! everything you said (new MOBO) oh and what was that other trash you posted to me?
    really? how is that even close to even helping anyone when the facts are that IT IS POSSIBLE! ........Just reading through your [Zero] of a help post makes me sick! & I will flag your post.. you shouldn't even be aloud to be here with your "typical tired" internet forum trash... Thanks for nothing & stating the Obvious in this issue! But hey despite your rude disgusting post I fixed my problem just from a few words from (Jetster) "Hot flash"
    I want to thanks all the guys who really took the time to help. And to you "vawrvawerawe" you need to google manners oh wait let me do that for you.. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=manners maybe next time you can do some research before you sit down & write some horrid un-helping post

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
    itsakjt says thanks.
  19. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    He said he's got warranty. I would claim it if it was me. These companies are pure evil! How can a BIOS update brick an entire machine? And this is not just him. I saw plenty of users on the internet with similar problems.

So I would go to the service center and simply tell them the laptop is not working. I don't know anything else as of why or how! Now its their responsibility to repair it. As for the dishonesty part, it is not the user's fault if the BIOS bricks due to UPDATING AS STATED by the MANUFACTURER!

So if the manufacturer is dishonest, I will be too. Tit for tat!

Looks like Toshiba has got their own modded BIOS. Try a few things though. Get a pendrive and put the BIOS file in it and rename it to BIOS.fd, BIOS.rom, BIOS.bin. Insert the pen drive and see if it accesses the pen drive or not(having an LED in the pen drive will let you know as it will blink). Or the best is go to a Toshiba service center. If the problem is just wrong BIOS flash, they should repair it in no time. Just request them to do it quick as you are in a hurry.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2013
    Dillinger says thanks.
  20. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    He said its fixed

Dillinger says thanks.
  21. Dillinger

Dillinger

Thanks Received:
    Everything worked out & I fixed it

22. Tatty_One