• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

bios probs

supramkivtt2jz

i flashed my bios using a custom bios from the bios collection, and aparently, i had set the core speed too high. how can i reflash my bios to the original speed when i nothing will be displayed on the monitor? i leave the floppy in so it boots from the floppy, but i cant see what im doing. it wont display a single thing! help!

Masun

Is your pc giving you a post beep? If not, your card is dead.

Kr4nG

what does it mean to flash the bios is it like restarting the bios or upgrading the bios?

Masun

In most cases for softmodding video cards, flashing the bios will make your current card think its a totally different card. This was a real good thing a while back, when some of the cards ATI were making had pipes in them that were hardlocked. In those cards cases, flashing the bios to a different higher end card (when it was possible) got you the extra pipes unlocked. In some other cases, like the poster above re-flashing the bios for him will pretty much reset his card to a more stable/bootable speed(s).
Also, in my own experience I have a powercolor 9550, that is flashed to a 9600 pro w/ modded memory speeds. This allows me to use ATI's drivers instead of third party ones, homebrewed ones,.. etc. Hope that was informative. Btw, hi to everyone here too, I'm still new here, and I'm glad sites like this are around so I can learn too.

Kr4nG

so basacly flashing the bios has to do something witht he video card.. it will think its a differnet video card right. but if you get a 9600 pro (i got it) wont the graphics still be better than what you actuallly have?