1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

BIOS Request

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by Riuska77, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Riuska77 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi all and welcome to my confession...

I recently flashed my Club 3D 8800GT 512Mb (with the radial cooler), because I was having problems in games that my system would hang and that I need to reset/reboot the system. I read from somewhere that 8800GT cards had their fan speed set at only 29% so I asked from Mr Google and he told me to use Riva Tuner. Unfortunately I coudln't get the Fan tab in there with any trick suggested (and yes I'm using Vista 64bit).

Well after getting totally frustrated and read about this magnificent tool called Nibitor, I decided I'd look into it.

After carefully choosing a bios from the site, creating a bootcd and updating the bios with the nvflash -5 romname.rom (yes I was an idiot and did not backup my original rom). I'm now in a situation where I had to reinstall windows and everytime I try to install any kind of nvidia driver for it I get to a point where my PC boots up (or at least I think it does), but after the setup phase the screen stays blank.

I can boot in to safe mode and remove the driver, but that's about it.

Is there any way that I can dig myself out of this mess without going to the local dealer and getting a new card or some sort.

just in case it helps. NVFlash gives the following info on my card when doing nvflash --list

<0> GeForce 8800 GT (10DE,0611,10DE,053C) H:NRM B:01,PCI,D:0,F:00

So basically I'm hoping for some friendly person to upload their clean/working bios from a club 3d 8800GT radial cooler version.

2. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    tried any of these?

TPU has it's very own VGA BIOS collection should matters like these arise.

3. Cybrnook2002

Cybrnook2002

Thanks Received:
  4. Riuska77 New Member

Thanks Received:
    well now I have and it's the classic. From the frying pan and into the fire. Now I got artifacts from the second I boot my pc...

Well at least I have something to do tomorrow while I try to get out of this one :(

5. EnergyFX

EnergyFX New Member

Thanks Received:
    hmmm... last time i saw something like that it was dead video memory. Good luck, I hope your situation is purely a BIOS issue.

6. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    Aside from here, check mvktech.net, they have quite a large BIOS collection as well. Your 88GT is PCI-E I assume?

ED - Here is a 88GT BIOS from Club 3D, assuming your card is PCI-E, this BIOS should work fine. I have also edited fan speeds although they were not that low anyway.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  7. Riuska77 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the file. I've tried about each an every 8800GT bios I could put my hands on and the last one that I tried yesterday messed everything up (ie the artifacts). Now I need to get my hands on a floppy drive to do a blind flash on the bios to see if I can get it back to the level where it only crashed with the driver install.

Then again for it to have some physical problem like the "dead memory" wouldn't surprise, since I had some problems even before this flash scandal.

8. Riuska77 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Once again thanks for the help. So far what I've managed to do is either reach the totally pixelated state that I was yesterday and today after a blind flash this blank screen after forceware drivers install.

Thanks for your help, it seems that I will have to take the card back to the store and hope I'll get a new one (don't know if I want a club 3d card anymore. This is the second that fried on me...).

Cheers!

9. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    And you can always use EVGA precisoin tool for fan speeds, and currently for overclocking NVidia cards....I find it better than Rivatuner.

10. Riuska77 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I took it back to the shop saying that it stopped working. I will now get a new card once they get some into stock (sounds like a pc-silent weekend).

:D