1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

BIOS update = heat issue? In BIOS only!? [P6X58D-E]

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Jan Kyster, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Jan Kyster

Jan Kyster

Thanks Received:
    This is strange... found new BIOS v0502 on ASUS website for motherboard http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1366/P6X58DE/#download

Used AsusUpdate for flashing in Windows. No problem. Bootet and entered BIOS. Loaded Defaults.
    Then, as I was scrolling through the pages and setting things like I want them, the PC suddenly shuts down? Started again, went to Hardware Monitor and could see temp was some 78 degree C - and climbing with approximate 1 degree per second [​IMG]

Shut down, let her cool a bit, started up and loaded Windows. In there temps were still some +65 degrees, but slowly falling.
    After a couple of minutes temps were back at the normal 35 degree...

Boot into BIOS, hw monitor, temps steadily rising.

Back to Windows, a flash to previous version was not allowed through AsusUpdate :banghead: so back to BIOS for using the build-in flashtool.
    Exiting to watch the painfully slow erase, burn and verify process as I expected the thing to overheat and shut down any second :p
    However the operation went well, temps are fine again both in Windows as in BIOS.

Now I see Asus has a BIOS v0602 in the download section. Am I right telling them to "Bite me!"? [​IMG]

2. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like a bad flash.
    I don't believe ASUS would intentionally fry your CPU; that would not be good for repeat customers/sales.:)

If it was me, I would try the latest bios, but that is just me.
    And, don't flash with the internet or windows, use the old tried and true method from a boot disk. Less stuff the computer has to run the better.

3. mm67

Thanks Received:
    Maybe there is something wrong with latest Asus X58 bioses. Asus Rampage III Extreme users seem to have problems with Cpu temperature readings and my Rampage Gene III is showing numbers like this with latest bios (Cpu temperature was normal with earlier bios):[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• aida.PNG
      aida.PNG
      File size:
      164.2 KB
      Views:
  4. Jan Kyster

Jan Kyster

Thanks Received:
    Have flashed with newest version 0602.ROM

Temps are still rising when in BIOS, but at least they now stop on a steady 62 degree C...

Way to go, Asus! :toast:

:rolleyes: