• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

BIOS update = heat issue? In BIOS only!? [P6X58D-E]

Processor Intel Core i7-930
Motherboard Asus P6X58D-E
Cooling EK WaterCooling Blocks
Memory 3x2 GB Kingston HR-1800
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD5970 + HD5870
Storage 2 WD Caviar Black WD1002FAEX
Display(s) Philips Brilliance 240S1SB
Case Fractal Design R3 Black
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R2 1000W
Software Windows 7 HP
This is strange... found new BIOS v0502 on ASUS website for motherboard http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1366/P6X58DE/#download

Used AsusUpdate for flashing in Windows. No problem. Bootet and entered BIOS. Loaded Defaults.
Then, as I was scrolling through the pages and setting things like I want them, the PC suddenly shuts down? Started again, went to Hardware Monitor and could see temp was some 78 degree C - and climbing with approximate 1 degree per second

Shut down, let her cool a bit, started up and loaded Windows. In there temps were still some +65 degrees, but slowly falling.
After a couple of minutes temps were back at the normal 35 degree...

Boot into BIOS, hw monitor, temps steadily rising.

Back to Windows, a flash to previous version was not allowed through AsusUpdate :banghead: so back to BIOS for using the build-in flashtool.
Exiting to watch the painfully slow erase, burn and verify process as I expected the thing to overheat and shut down any second :p
However the operation went well, temps are fine again both in Windows as in BIOS.

Now I see Asus has a BIOS v0602 in the download section. Am I right telling them to "Bite me!"?

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like a bad flash.
I don't believe ASUS would intentionally fry your CPU; that would not be good for repeat customers/sales.:)

If it was me, I would try the latest bios, but that is just me.
And, don't flash with the internet or windows, use the old tried and true method from a boot disk. Less stuff the computer has to run the better.

Processor i7-2500K @ 4.5 GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4
Cooling EK Supreme HF
Memory Kingston HyperX Genesis 2 * 4 GB
Video Card(s) Radeon HD 7950
Storage OCZ Agility 3
Case Bitfenix Shinobi XL
Power Supply Super Flower SF-700P14XE
Maybe there is something wrong with latest Asus X58 bioses. Asus Rampage III Extreme users seem to have problems with Cpu temperature readings and my Rampage Gene III is showing numbers like this with latest bios (Cpu temperature was normal with earlier bios):
aida.PNG

Processor Intel Core i7-930
Motherboard Asus P6X58D-E
Cooling EK WaterCooling Blocks
Memory 3x2 GB Kingston HR-1800
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD5970 + HD5870
Storage 2 WD Caviar Black WD1002FAEX
Display(s) Philips Brilliance 240S1SB
Case Fractal Design R3 Black
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R2 1000W
Software Windows 7 HP
Have flashed with newest version 0602.ROM

Temps are still rising when in BIOS, but at least they now stop on a steady 62 degree C...

Way to go, Asus! :toast:

:rolleyes: