1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bios Update

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by techguy31, May 30, 2010.

1. techguy31

Thanks Received:
    Alright so I am building my rig right now and I don't fully understand what people mean by updating the bios. If I am in starting up the comp. how am I possibly going to update it? Do I first configure the settings in the bios page then install OS? Should I use the CD provided with the motherboard for the drivers? Do you always have to update bios? My old dell inspiron e310 does not require to always update bios at all that I remember.

2. MohawkAngel

MohawkAngel New Member

Thanks Received:
    you dont have to update bios all the time only when you have some problems but now with more and more powerful motherboards and better features they update bios often to run better those features like HDMI onboard and stuff like that. I do my bios update all the time. The bios is the brain of the computer stored in a chip on the motherboard. better make some reaseah but if your newq motherboard is Asus ....you use the easy tool Asus Updater.

3. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: May 30, 2010
  4. techguy31

Thanks Received:
    When you say you constantly update do you update in the bios screen or when you are in the windows screen? And After I set up my bios how will I start my OS when it does not know if I have windows 7 or not. I am building a new rig that does not have OS installed in the ssd yet. Do I boot up one more time so that it boot from the cd (Win 7 ultimate 64) During the config on Bios what should my boot order be so that I could install windows 7 and after the installation what should the order be?
    Thx I'm kind of new to the Bios part of the building process of computers and is a bit confusing?
    Thx againg..