1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bios will not boot from SSD

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by HitmanJustin, Oct 6, 2012.

1. HitmanJustin

HitmanJustin New Member

Thanks Received:
    So it's been a LONG time since ive been on these forums, but I ran into a little problem that's got me stumped.

I just bought a 240GB PATRIOT Pyro SD to put my OS on.
    So I backed up all my important info to an External HDD. Formatted my current 1TB WD Caviar Black that I had my current Windows 7 on. And went ahead and installed Windows 7 on my new SSD.
    All was fine and dandy till I began installing drivers on Win7 and would need to reboot, it would come up with a message to Reboot and select proper boot device. So I went I to my boot options set my DVD drive as 1st boot and my SSD as 2nd boot, same message came up.
    So just for laughs I only set 1 boot device as my DVD and had my Win7 install disc in the drive, it would come up with the message to press any key to boot from the DVD drive. But I waited it out, and for some reason it would boot straight into windows. Problem Solved? No
    I just recently had to restart again, and now it won't boot into Windows anymore. I tried setting the SSD as first boot, nothing. Tried the DVD drive as first and the SSD as second, nothing. I just can't figure this mess out.
    I'm running an ASUS M4A78-E mobo, and trying to get my 240GB Patriot Pyro SD to boot. Just so confused as why it worked, and now it doesn't.
  2. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Did you have your external drive or the 1 Tb hooked up when you installed the OS? If windows 7 sees a boot sector on another drive guess what. It install the MBR there

That may be whats going on

When installing windows 7. Disconnect all other drives
    HitmanJustin says thanks.
  3. HitmanJustin

HitmanJustin New Member

Thanks Received:
    The External wasn't hooked up but my 1TB was, which I formatted that clean (I thought) right before the Install
  4. acerace

acerace

Thanks Received:
    That may be the culprit. Try disconnecting the drive, and clean install the Windows back.

Hope it works. :)
  5. HitmanJustin

HitmanJustin New Member

Thanks Received:
    Alright, I guess I have no choice but to try than, thanks, hope it works
  6. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    Always have just the drive hooked up that you're installing to, unplug all the other suckers, a lesson I learned the hard way too :banghead:
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  7. HitmanJustin

HitmanJustin New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, I think it worked, thank you for he advice.

Never knew that would cause a problem, ill make sure to keep that in mind next time
  8. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Its because with other drives installed, windows wants to install some of the boot windows file to the other drive so you will get a dual boot menu and shit before entering windows, and you wont be able to format the other drive later on as it has nesessary files on it.
  9. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    Yep, I was burned by this Windows 7 "feature" the first time I installed it, since then I always unplug everything but the boot drive.