1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bioshock Infinite

Discussion in 'Games' started by ste2425, Mar 19, 2013.

1. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I have not yet expressed my opinion of this game, so you have niether agreed or disagreed with it. I will just disregard your every word as you seem an unreasonable type of person anyway.

I'll probably pick this game up tomorrow when i get paid, seems to remind me of Dishonored in the art style, but a little more bright and shiney. Interesting storyline at least, and i enjoyed Bioshock 2.

2. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    More name calling and general nonsensical behaviour will not be tolerated, have a nice day.

d1nky, erocker and RCoon say thanks.
  3. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    80 dollars for a game with dlc? Not I..
    I consider that insulting to the consumer.

Already Bishock 3 has proven, they care as much about promises, as they have with previous Bioshock releases..
    IE: The freaking 3D does not work AGAIN!? WTF?!
    This is the kind of thing that makes me want to pirate games..
    They NEVER fixed bioshock 1..
    They NEVER fixed bioshock 2..
    What do you think will happen with bioshock 3's 3D support?
    You guessed it... NOTHING..
    I might get this.. On sale.. Or overseas for half the price.. 80 bucks? Not in a million years..

It is sincerely taking every bone in my body worth of restraint to not pirate this. I have NEVER pirated before but I am tired of them making this game, promising a "FUNCTIONING" 3D.. and it NEVER works.. They spit in my face, I should be obliged to spit in theirs..

4. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Bioshock Infinite Premium edition is £40 here, which is more or less the price you would pay for Premium Edition. Its £28 standard edition, so I would like to know how you arrive to the $80 figure.

5. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    cheaper than that if you look in the right places

6. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    "i wanted a puppy but that doesn't mean ill get one" brilliant quote ha

Really loving this game so far very pleased. Think Elizabeth's AI is great. Turn you back on her for a second and she's off interacting with things looking at things, one time she came back with candy floss where the hell she got that i have no idea. Then when fighting she's actually useful finding ammo and health when needed etc.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  7. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Just pickedup the game! Installing now! I am excited!

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    you should be :)

9. HossHuge

HossHuge

Thanks Received:
    Must stop reading this thread. Possible accidental spoilers....

10. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

found a glitch, end of movie/cut scene after rescuing Elizabeth

[​IMG]

Sorry they were out of air freshener

11. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    I fired this up last night. Cranked everything to Ultra. locked frames per second enabled. Game (according to fraps) is running 60 fps most of the time and drops as low as 30 fps. Visually the art style is pretty cool but I'm not near as impressed as you guys. After reading the posts in this thread I expected something special but other than lots of detail I don't see the amazing visuals. Sure the game looks good but it's not ground breaking or anything. Most distances are broken up with lots of fog usage. Lots of bloom and light shafts being used to cover up the fact that the engine can't handle the long view distances. That is what it seems to me anyway. Up close everything looks pretty good but lots of angles where curves should be. I can totally tell this is a straight up console port.

Mouse sensitivity is crazy too. I had to turn it almost completely down and the mouse is still jumpy. I don't know how else to explain it but it makes aiming a bit harder. I can only assume it has something to do with the port from controller to mouse.

Now don't get me wrong...the game might be great. I'm going to play it and I'm sure I'll enjoy it. I'm not sure it is worthy of all the praise it's getting though. I can't comment on story yet but so far gameplay seems like nothing new or special, and the visuals are nice but not stunning. There are better looking games out. For a console port is is nice though and I've seen plenty worse.

The game world is filled with lots and lots of detail though and the artistic style is very cool.

I look forward to running through this game and seeing what it holds.

12. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    turn mouse acceleration off buddy

13. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    I didn't see that option but I'll look for it when I go home. Thanks dude.

14. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    damn im liking the look of this game now, must delete from my subscriptions and to think I swapped it for 3dmark2013 hahaha. didn't know it cost this much (£40) YOLO

15. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Just got this yesterday. I'd have to say it's the best Bio game so far, and more polished than the others. I did some file edits to remove bloom and all the blur, as well as raising Detail Mode from 2 to 5. According to the file, on max settings HDAO is enabled and it's running at 16x AF. The benchmark tool is kinda nice too, very detailed info. I'm averaging 87 FPS overall. The art design and nav abilities in this game really make it interesting.

I only have a few minor nit picks.

1. At 1080p, the in-game and menu text is very small.
    2. You can't tie the nav aid to optional objectives like locked trunks you've encountered, which are hard to relocate
    3. Some upgrades seem limited to certain weapons. I've yet to find a clip extender for the machine gun
    4. Even with the brightness set as recommended, a lot of the indoor areas seem too darkly lit
    5. The gameplay menu is more confusing than previous games as far as swapping out shortcut vigors and such
    6. No hacking for safes, turrets, cameras, etc. You only need find lockpicks, and even then, Liz does the work

I honestly didn't think I would like having Elizabeth as a tag along at first, but she's kinda cool really. She never lolly gags, always has no trouble finding you, and tosses you money, ammo, and even weapons sometimes. She can also run pretty fast, and likes to run a lot, but who wouldn't after being kept prisoner in a tower for years. Sometimes Elizabeth's reaction and voice acting seems oblivious or forced, but I'm at a part where I think she was previously hiding her feelings to catch Booker off guard at the right time.

Some effects are very cool, and who wouldn't like mini bosses like a mechanical George Washington with a US flag for wings firing a Gatling gun as he spews patriotic banter. I really like Shock Jockey, it instantly immobilizes anything mechanical, and a shock combined with shotgun blast will pop regular enemy's heads off while electricity shoots out their neck.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  16. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    I believe it's under the gameplay sub menu. Took me a while to find. On the graphics I agree there definitively not ground braking nor is the gameplay , whilst the skylines is great fun. It's still extremely fun and very beautiful to look at. I gues progress is trying to do better then the current standard however. But still a brilliant game I think anyway

17. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Yeah there are definitely some things that are just mediocre texture surfaces, sprites, or low polygon count. Fruit and produce baskets look extremely fake, as does ground foliage, and I don't get why they can make baseballs pretty round, yet the balloons are not well curved at all.

The overall art design and effects have always been what's made Bioshock great graphically though, and there it doesn't disappoint. I've yet to look at before and after comparisons, but I was a bit shocked that the Detail Mode was set to 2, same as Dishonored. In Dishonored, raising it to 5 makes a noticeable difference.

18. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    I have rescued Elizabeth like 4000000000 billlllion times :)

This game is bad ass

Crunching for Team TPU
  19. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    What do you mean detailed mode? I've just set it to high, very high through the presets option. And definitely agree with the fruit foliage etc. some objects look amazing then others like the fruit baskets just look poor. Silly because your looking at them often trying to find fruit to eat for health :)

20. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    I'm sure he is talking about changing settings in the ini file. (Outside of the game)

ste2425 says thanks.
  21. m6tzg6r New Member

Thanks Received:
    I finished the game for my first time, steam reports 10 hours play time.

I played on easy, and did explore all areas of all levels, didn't rush just played it at my own pace. Many times i just stopped and enjoyed the good graphics and art.

22. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Yeah it's not in the game settings, you go to Documents\My Games\Bioshock Infinite\XGame\Config.

Before editing, copy and paste XEngine.ini to a separate folder in the Config directory, call it Original Files or something.

Now open XEngine.ini with Notebook and do a Edit\Find search for SystemSettings. That is where literally ALL the advanced graphics settings are, and the benchmark tool will also list it in the log at the end of your bench.

The setting mentioned will show as DetailMode=2 in the SystemSettings tree.

ste2425 says thanks.
  23. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Just did some ini tweaks as well as picked up SweetFX. I haven't tweaked the SweetFX settings yet, just using someone else's premade profile, and it helps out some scene's quite a bit.

Before
    [​IMG]
    After
    [​IMG]

Before
    [​IMG]
    After
    [​IMG]

I'll be tinkering with it some, but already pretty happy with the results.

random says thanks.
  24. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Don't know if I want to grab this.
    Did not enjoy the endings of the last two.

It's like being trolled.

25. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Anyone else find the guitar yet? It triggers as pretty cool interlude.