1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

BioShock Studio Irrational Games Is Shutting Down

Discussion in 'Games' started by brandonwh64, Feb 18, 2014.

1. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

Irrational Games, the studio that makes BioShock, is shutting down. BioShock creator Ken Levine said today that he plans to move on to smaller, narrative-heavy games that will be released digitally.P

Levine, who ran Irrational, announced the news on the Irrational Games website today, noting that he'll be starting "a smaller, more entrepreneurial endeavor at Take-Two" and laying off all but 15 people.P

"While I'm deeply proud of what we've accomplished together, my passion has turned to making a different kind of game than we've done before," Levine wrote. "To meet the challenge ahead, I need to refocus my energy on a smaller team with a flatter structure and a more direct relationship with gamers. In many ways, it will be a return to how we started: a small team making games for the core gaming audience."P

The troubled development of BioShock Infinite was no secret—Levine's latest game was an expensive production, affected by multiple delays and scrapped features, which might explain his new focus.P

Levine's new goal, as he wrote today: "To make narrative-driven games for the core gamer that are highly replayable. To foster the most direct relationship with our fans possible, we will focus exclusively on content delivered digitally."P

Irrational's final project will be part 2 of theBioShock Infinite: Burial at Seadownloadable content,which is out next month. We've reached out to Take-Two for comment, and for more details on the future of the BioShock franchise.P

Source: http://kotaku.com/bioshock-studio-irrational-games-is-winding-down-all-1525186316
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Sounds good. Get away from publishers.
    brandonwh64 says thanks.
  3. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    I liked bioshock 1 and 2 but infinite was not really that great.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. erocker

Thanks Received:
    I loved Infinite. Especially the first half hour or so, it was amazing.

It is good he is going independent. This guy writes some great stuff and doesn't need a publisher or investors pushing him around.
    GreiverBlade says thanks.
  5. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    Hopefully he will continue making bioshock games with the help of take two but only time will tell.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    i hope there will be more Bioshock games, because i really really liked all 3 of them, it will be sad to see them end here.
  7. erocker

Thanks Received:
    Best quote on Kotaku:

"What why?

Did Bioshock not do well?"

"There is no why. They're Irrational."
  8. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    I liken Infinite to Last Light in the sense that despite lots of problems along the way, both turned out to be very good games with a lot of original content.

I'm sure whatever they put out next will be quality stuff.
  9. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Loved the 1st second was alright and thought about getting infinite but thought screw it as there be lame ass dlc's and just not willing to pay $60 + DLC's. Which goes for most games i am just not willing to pay the price they ask and just wait till the full game plus all dlc's are included and i am sure there are plenty more people who feel the same way...

If they said they were releasing it without the chance of DLC's i would of got it long time ago.. And lets face it waiting is better as you get all the dlcs and patch updates..
  10. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    BioShock gavee headaches and I couldn't play it more than an hour at a time :( lots of people had that issue. I still loved 1 and 2 and I just got infinite and I'll be playing it soon as I get better from this flu.
  11. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Headaches? Did you try adjusting the FOV? On the PC version, besides the FOV slider in the game menu, you can edit the base FOV in the cfg file.
  12. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:

I did to both and it still did it :( I got past that problem by getting a little drunk and it helped add another hour... LOL.
    Arjai says thanks.
  13. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    Straight from the middle of the article:
    He's not going indie at all, he's staying with the exact same publisher, just taking his closest friends/best talent and throwing the rest of his studio out on the street.