1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Biostar TPower I45 with a Q6600

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by dadi_oh, Apr 19, 2009.

1. dadi_oh

dadi_oh New Member

Thanks Received:
    I currently have an ASUS P5KE-wifi motherboard with a Q6600 G0. The Q6600 and P35 NB are both watercooled with a Swiftech Apogee/MWC60 and the Q6600 runs about 57C full load worst core in a 26C room ambient (I have my delta fans at about 60% on the rads to keep the noise down).

So what's this got to do with the title of the thread? Well I was getting bored and wanted to change something. I was surfing eBay and on a whim threw in a bid on an open box Biostar Tpower I45 motherboard. The reviews looked decent and I was a bit surprised since Biostar was not one of the names that springs to mind for anything but budget boards. Well I ended up getting the thing for $79 shipped.

So when it arrives my intent is to pull off the NB/FET cooler setup and install my MWC60 waterblock on the P45 NB. I will probably coole the FETs with some memory heatsinks since they don't need much.

This board has a reputation for some very high FSB so I was wondering if anyone reading this has overclocked a Q6600 and what settings they may recommend. I currently use 450X8 on my ASUS board. Any recommendations?

2. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I run a q6600 on my P45 and it's good stuff. I use 400FSB and 9X for my 3.6Ghz OC using the same 1.41v as I did on my DFI P35. The NB runs quite a bit cooler, it's a smaller fabbed P35 for the most part. My P35 would run around 55C load at 400FSB, I don't recall voltage. My P45 runs around 38C load on 1.26v for NB and MCH on 400FSB. Tuning P45 is pretty easy, expect to hit 400FSB with minimal voltage increases. I don't have experience with that Biostar board, but I've heard pretty good things about it.

Keep us posted! :toast:

dadi_oh says thanks.
  3. dadi_oh

dadi_oh New Member

Thanks Received:
    Will keep you posted for sure. With the P45 being on a smaller fab, power is down from the P35. I already have a NB waterblock so I might as well use it. Maybe overkill in this case but if it helps for a little higher FSB that's OK.

I don't think I have ever owned a Biostar board before... I have had just about every brand I can think of over the years... most notable exception is DFI (always thought I would get one some day).

From reading the reviews Biostar is trying to break into the mid-range enthusiast bracket. Only thing I am a little unsure of is that it is only a 4 phase power design so I hope the power finicky Q6600 will be OK. I currently run my Q6600 (VID=1.275) at 1.416V to get 450X8 on my P5KE which has an 8 phase power design. I expect I'll get a lot more drop with this new board.

4. dadi_oh

dadi_oh New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh, and forgot to mention I do already have another Q6600 (VID=1.2875V) on a P5Q-PRO board but that is on my video server / folding machine so I don't really care about too high an OC. I ran it at 3600MHz for a bit but didn't like the temps at about 64C (Vendettta 2). Speed isn't too important on that machine so I bumped it down to an easy 400X8=3200 and it runs nice at a cooler 54C while folding 24/7. Since it is my server I didn't really spend much time tweaking the P5Q-Pro so I am looking forward to playing more with this Biostar board since this is my "playing / overclocking" machine. :toast:

5. dadi_oh

dadi_oh New Member

Thanks Received:
    After doing a bit of surfing it seems that the 4 phase power of this Biostar board may not be the best choice for high overclocks on a quad core. So now I am thinking I will install this Biostar board in my video server since I only OC that q6600 to 3.2GHz (assuming teh Biostar board can at least achieve 3.2GHz without breaking a sweat).

I will then move the P5Q-Pro board out of the video server and put that in my main overclocking rig and see how far I can push my Q6600 G0 VID=1.275 CPU on a good P45 motherboard (currently on a P5KE P35 board). I may not actually see much improvement if any but it will be fun trying.

On the P5KE motherboard I am able to get the following out of my Q6600 using OCZ PC2-8800 (1100MHz) RAM.

430X9 = 3.87GHz 1.552V Benching (not prime stable)
    450X8 = 3.60GHz 1.416V Stable for daily tasks but get the odd reset while folding 24/7
    430X8 = 3.44GHz 1.344V Completely stable prime95 and 24/7 folding

It may be interesting to see if the instability at 3.6GHz might be in the P5KE motherboard and could be resolved by the P5Q-Pro motherboard.

6. FryingWeesel

FryingWeesel New Member

Thanks Received:
    the biostar should be fine, check rebelshaven forums for more first hand experiance with biostar boards(they are the official english forums for biostar)

I know afew people with p45 biostar t series boards, they all have had zero problems overclocking their quads in them, so i dont see you having any issues.

dadi_oh says thanks.
  7. dadi_oh

dadi_oh New Member

Thanks Received:
    OK. I'll check them out. Rebel Shaven? A bunch of bald guys in trouble with the law?

Always good to know what to look for before you actually start overclocking.

8. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    You run 1.416v for 3.6ghz? Man that's what I run for orthos/occt/prime stability on my 1.30vid q6600...I bet you could run lower, maybe 1.38v. Maybe not though, but vid does seem relative to OC's on these chips.

9. dadi_oh

dadi_oh New Member

Thanks Received:
    Entirely possible I could run lower. When I was trying to figure out the source of the occasional crash from folding I was trying to bump the votage up to see if it improved stability. I don't think I ever went back to try and get voltage as low as possible. Problem was it could take a couple of days for the crash to happen so it is a reeeeeeaaaaalllyyyy slow process tweaking teh voltage downwards. I am watercooled and temps are fine so I wasn't too motivated :)

What I do know is my current setting of 3.44GHz is 100% stable. Once I get this setup in the P5Q-Pro board I'll do some more intensive searching for the optimum speed/Vcore.

10. FryingWeesel

FryingWeesel New Member

Thanks Received:
    http://www.rebelshavenforum.com/sis-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

thats the forums, take a look, biostar's a "dark horse" as some refer to hardware thats not well known but really suprises people in quility/perf.

my ta770 is far from new, and yet it can take any am2/am2+ or am3 cpu and push it to the cpu's max without any real effort, I became a biostar t-series fan back in the 754/939 days when i setup alot of matx lanparty rigs for friends/clients using their 6100 based boards, those things clocked like a DREAM had every bios option u could ask for, and where cheap, and biostar support was stunningly good for RMA, or if you where needing an IO shield for an openbox board :) (free)

biostar's non-cheapo boards are impressive, my tforce550 was a dream( u can ask jc316 and others about that board, they had them as well) I think if you get in and play with that board, you WILL find it to be alot of fun and far more capable then you may expect :)

11. dadi_oh

dadi_oh New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the link. I have my homework for tonight ;)

I try not to be too prejudiced when it comes to hardware. Like I said I have had about every brand you can think of at one point or another. I do a lot of research and if they are using the right technology and selling at the right price I'll give them a shot. I always seem to root for the underdog... Kind of nice to see the little guy taking a shot at the top dogs for half the price....