• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bitcoin & Password Stealer Trojan For Mac Now Available!

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
A few thoughts from yer Ol' Uncle Kreij ...

Article Title
The title of the news article could be construed that the trojan is something you want because it suggests that the malware is "now available." If you actually read the article you understand that the title is a "tongue-in-cheek" play on words and is not condoning getting the malware in any way, shape or form. A news article's title should draw the reader's attention by making them curious about the content, otherwise people will just peruse the headlines.

Stereotypes
In my 30 years of working in IT, I have not run across all that many "smug" Apple users, but all but one I've ever met have been delusional (or at best oblivious) about the security and reliability (crashing) of their Mac(s). The one honest guy who worked in graphics arts stated, "We work with almost exclusively Macintosh computers. Shit crashes occasionally just like any other Windows PC." One of our current sales gusy who uses a Mac latop simply states, "Macs don't get visuses because it's impossible to write them." :shadedshu

Qubit's Opinions
Every single one of the 2 million+ posts on this forum are someone's opinion. Opinions generate discussion and make for lively threads. People are not used to seeing the opinions in the news article itself, but why should opinions be delegated to resonding posts only? (Quick Tip : They're not, Bta does it too, he's just more subtle ;) ) People say that they don't like opinions in news, but they sure have no problem posting their opinion .. do they? IMO, these news articles have made TPU more fun and interesting without sacrificing the hard news because they are "in addition to" the hard news, not replacing or even supplanting it.

Just my 2 cents ... Carry On.

System Name Runs Smooth
Processor FX 8350
Motherboard Crosshair V Formula Z
Cooling Corsair H110 with AeroCool Shark 140mm fans
Memory 16GB G-skill Trident X 1866 Cl. 8
Video Card(s) HIS 7970 IceQ X² GHZ Edition
Storage OCZ Vector 256GB SSD & 1Tb piece of crap
Display(s) acer H243H
Case NZXT Phantom 820 matte black
Audio Device(s) Nada
Power Supply NZXT Hale90 V2 850 watt
Software Windows 7 Pro
Benchmark Scores Lesbians are hot!!!
To be honest, I'm having as much fun laughing at the posts bitching about qubit's writing style as I am reading the news itself.

I think qubit is doing an awesome job, and I can see why they added him to the news team. Keep up the good work man. :toast:

As for Apple, I won't be using any of their products any time soon, so they can run around claiming no viruses all that they want and it won't effect me in the least. I do feel bad for the people who have fallen for their bullshit though, ignorance is not always bliss.

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apple = proprietary, controversial, flamboyant, looks good, selective, conversational, out spoken, supportive fan base, exudes a warm snuggly feeling, and immune to attacks!

Qubit = proprietary, controversial, flamboyant, selective, conversational, out spoken, supportive fan base, exudes a warm snuggly feeling, and immune to attacks!

Well, 9 out of 10 ain't to bad, Qubit!:ohwell:

:)

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Apple = proprietary, controversial, flamboyant, looks good, selective, conversational, out spoken, supportive fan base, exudes a warm snuggly feeling, and immune to attacks!

Qubit = proprietary, controversial, flamboyant, selective, conversational, out spoken, supportive fan base, exudes a warm snuggly feeling, and immune to attacks!

Well, 9 out of 10 ain't to bad, Qubit!:ohwell:

:)
I'm glad you said it like that 95. Had you accused me of looking good I would have reported you post haste! :laugh: :toast:

Sites like Engadget and gizmodo went to sh*t because their writers couldn't keep their opinions in check. They inject opinions into articles every chance they got to incite reactions(controversy = more hits), eventually articles turned into little war zones of fanboys and haters. Luckily they have plenty of writers so like fan clubs, people pick writers "on their side" and enjoy the approval of their opinions by a more "authoritative voice".

Don't do that to TPU please.

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
If I read this correctly, this has to be installed by the user? So this is not malware that installs via exploit, but via social engineering?