1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bitcoin & Password Stealer Trojan For Mac Now Available!

Discussion in 'News' started by qubit, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    A few thoughts from yer Ol' Uncle Kreij ...

Article Title
    The title of the news article could be construed that the trojan is something you want because it suggests that the malware is "now available." If you actually read the article you understand that the title is a "tongue-in-cheek" play on words and is not condoning getting the malware in any way, shape or form. A news article's title should draw the reader's attention by making them curious about the content, otherwise people will just peruse the headlines.

Stereotypes
    In my 30 years of working in IT, I have not run across all that many "smug" Apple users, but all but one I've ever met have been delusional (or at best oblivious) about the security and reliability (crashing) of their Mac(s). The one honest guy who worked in graphics arts stated, "We work with almost exclusively Macintosh computers. Shit crashes occasionally just like any other Windows PC." One of our current sales gusy who uses a Mac latop simply states, "Macs don't get visuses because it's impossible to write them." :shadedshu

Qubit's Opinions
    Every single one of the 2 million+ posts on this forum are someone's opinion. Opinions generate discussion and make for lively threads. People are not used to seeing the opinions in the news article itself, but why should opinions be delegated to resonding posts only? (Quick Tip : They're not, Bta does it too, he's just more subtle ;) ) People say that they don't like opinions in news, but they sure have no problem posting their opinion .. do they? IMO, these news articles have made TPU more fun and interesting without sacrificing the hard news because they are "in addition to" the hard news, not replacing or even supplanting it.

Just my 2 cents ... Carry On.

theJesus, 95Viper, qubit and 1 other person say thanks.
  2. Damn_Smooth

Damn_Smooth New Member

Thanks Received:
    To be honest, I'm having as much fun laughing at the posts bitching about qubit's writing style as I am reading the news itself.

I think qubit is doing an awesome job, and I can see why they added him to the news team. Keep up the good work man. :toast:

As for Apple, I won't be using any of their products any time soon, so they can run around claiming no viruses all that they want and it won't effect me in the least. I do feel bad for the people who have fallen for their bullshit though, ignorance is not always bliss.

qubit says thanks.
  3. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Apple = proprietary, controversial, flamboyant, looks good, selective, conversational, out spoken, supportive fan base, exudes a warm snuggly feeling, and immune to attacks!

Qubit = proprietary, controversial, flamboyant, selective, conversational, out spoken, supportive fan base, exudes a warm snuggly feeling, and immune to attacks!

Well, 9 out of 10 ain't to bad, Qubit!:ohwell:

:)

qubit says thanks.
  4. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    I'm glad you said it like that 95. Had you accused me of looking good I would have reported you post haste! :laugh: :toast:

95Viper says thanks.
  5. pr0n Inspector

pr0n Inspector

Thanks Received:
    Sites like Engadget and gizmodo went to sh*t because their writers couldn't keep their opinions in check. They inject opinions into articles every chance they got to incite reactions(controversy = more hits), eventually articles turned into little war zones of fanboys and haters. Luckily they have plenty of writers so like fan clubs, people pick writers "on their side" and enjoy the approval of their opinions by a more "authoritative voice".

Don't do that to TPU please.

Easy Rhino says thanks.
  6. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    If I read this correctly, this has to be installed by the user? So this is not malware that installs via exploit, but via social engineering?