1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bitcoins!

Discussion in 'General Software' started by pantherx12, Feb 17, 2011.

1. R-T-B

R-T-B

Thanks Received:
    Working on that today or tomorrow. Typing with my left isn't so bad that I'd resort to voice command, but yeah it was a big ass tumble.

After surgery my father informed me the wall I hit isn't just drywall, but backed by about 4 sheets of drywall for some odd reason during numerous remodels. That made it invincible to my puny manflesh and "snap!" was the only thing that could happen really with my level of excitement/acceleration.

But back on topic: This won't be an ROI investment. My hospital bill already tops that, even with insurance... D:

Chevalr1c says thanks.
  2. Laurijan

Laurijan

Thanks Received:
    Is an Antminer S3 440GH/s a new ASIC by your definition?

3. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    I believe it is. Read reviews yo see whether it is any good.
    I did not keep track of that ASIC stuff esp. since most newer coins are all Proof-of-Stake and have only ASIC-incompatible ciphers for their usually less-than-a-month Proof-of-Work phases. And mining BTC itself has gotten way too expensive for me to ever be a realistic thing to do (I cannot afford the huge investments in HW, power etc. to do that). And the BTC value is having difficulties getting above $600 lately.

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. The Von Matrices

The Von Matrices

Thanks Received:
    In case anyone's interested, Newegg is selling Playstation 4 consoles today only for $319.99 (normally $399.99) if you buy using BTC. Use promo code BCPS410. I just bought one for myself, and even if I don't want to keep it I could definitely resell it for a profit.

I'm posting this here instead of the Hot Deals forum because unless you have existing BTC it's hard to take advantage of the deal in such a short time frame.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  5. R-T-B

R-T-B

Thanks Received:
    Keeping track of ASIC stuff is usually pretty easy. Just check the nanometer process they use, lower=better on almost every occasion.

My zeusminer I bought aparently uses a 55nm process, which is a major bummer in energy efficiency. Glad I live in cheap energy town.

6. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    Things like whether it is standalone or needs a host and/or paper-clipped PSU matter too. How loud the fans are etc as well. When going to "invest" you want to be getting bang for your bucks. ;)

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. R-T-B

R-T-B

Thanks Received:
    Good point.

Chevalr1c says thanks.
  8. qu4k3r

qu4k3r

Thanks Received:
  9. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    I never thought that would happen, even when rumours were put out about it.

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    Me neither. I think that should stabilize the currency a bit.

yogurt_21 and james888 say thanks.
  11. The Von Matrices

The Von Matrices

Thanks Received:
    PayPal's recent announcement is overblown, since they aren't providing anything innovative. All PayPal did is implement the Coinbase/BitPay/GoCoin API, which allows buyers to send BTC to Coinbase/BitPay/GoCoin, is converted by Coinbase/BitPay/GoCoin to USD, and then deposited in the PayPal merchant account as USD. This is no different than any business could have done using the Coinbase/BitPay/GoCoin API directly.

If PayPal was hosting wallets and allowed you to hold BTC balances, that would be a stunning announcement. In contrast, this announcement is just more evidence that PayPal isn't attempting to innovate with Bitcoin but instead is slowly (and seemingly unwillingly) being forced to adopt Bitcoin.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  12. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    Its surprising because paypal was so anti bitcoin. They froze accounts just for buying or selling bitcoins. Its the support that shocks us, not the implementation.

Chevalr1c says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. The Von Matrices

The Von Matrices

Thanks Received:
    That's still the case right now; nothing has changed. It's against PayPal's terms to buy any currency (not just BTC) from a seller and use PayPal to send any other currency to the seller in exchange.

Section 3H of PayPal's terms of use:
    You may not use the PayPal service for activities that... involve currency exchanges or check cashing businesses.

The only real reversal of policy in the past year is allowing the selling of physical products related to Bitcoin that aren't currency (e.g. mining hardware). Although in all honesty, that policy was more likely due to the uncertainty about the legal status of mining hardware at the time rather than some plan to prevent Bitcoin adoption.

Chevalr1c says thanks.
  14. broken pixel

broken pixel

Thanks Received:
  15. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    Keep a good look at BitcoinDark and FIBRE coin! The best way to get them might be the xpool.ca multipools (or Bittrex/Cryptsy). They are PoS with high interest and are still improving on their */BTC exchange rates. It may be the best way to ride out the low BTC value storm and perhaps they turn into a worthy successor to BTC one day.

Crunching for Team TPU
  16. broken pixel

broken pixel

Thanks Received:
    BTC 284.00 USD.

17. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    We are climbing out of the depth as it seems: http://www.coindesk.com/price/

Edit: lol BTC is gonna need PoS because the miners will not keep confidence with junk like this. The floor is again having struggles with its identity (it's unsure whether it is truly a floor, or not).

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. Darkrealms

Thanks Received:
    Mining is only going up and vendor buy in is still rising. The benefits for vendors of BTC over credit cards is huge (percentages and chargebacks). I don't see BTC going away.

Right now we are dealing with a ton of "investors" and weak hand early adopters getting out. Also the vendors that are accepting BTC are turning around and selling it (technically many of them never touch the BTC). Most mining firms right now are selling as soon as they get BTC as well. That is a lot of downward pressure when mainstream consumers have barely heard of the weird digital currency that seems to be tied to scandals and drugs (per main stream news).

For those looking at BTC hardware http://cryptomining-blog.com/ had an article on current hardware. I am linking the stats they posted. This is only including currently available hardware.

19. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    I had to explain the other day that bitcoin is not inherently a drug smuggling operation. The person was presenting that it was in class.

Chevalr1c says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    I envy those of you who either have dirt-cheap electricity or don't pay for electricity. Based on those stats, I'd actually lose money every month running any one of those miners due to the power usage. Granted the value of BTC isn't exactly at it's peak right now . . .

21. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    I miss the prices I was getting for AMD graphics cards

22. The Von Matrices

The Von Matrices

Thanks Received:
    It's not the electricity cost that matters at the moment; basically everyone buying a miner today won't earn back their investment even with cheap/free electricity. I support Bitcoin but I have no idea why people continue to buy mining equipment at a loss when they could just buy the coins directly. I suppose the only reason that hashrate and network difficulty only keep increasing is because pre-orders for mining equipment were placed 6 months ago. Since most companies selling miners prevent the cancellation of pre-orders, people are forced to receive them and mine back as much value as they can.

Chevalr1c says thanks.