1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bizarre DVD drive related problem.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by tsomerville93, Feb 9, 2013.

1. tsomerville93 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm experiencing an odd problem with reading discs on my old computer. I was trying to boot off of my Windows disc to reinstall the OS but the disc simply wasn't being recognised, despite the drive showing up fine in BIOS.

I naturally tested the disc with some other computers and they read it fine. I decided that the DVD drive was the culprit so I slipped in a brand new drive, but the disc still isn't being recognised. Soo I tried multiple boot discs and tried some miscellaneous DVDs while in Windows but nothing seems to be working.

Has anyone encountered a problem similar? Or perhaps has an inclination as to what's going down?

Cheers for any help!

Tom

2. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    A bad sata/ide cable perhaps.

3. Depth

Thanks Received:
  4. tsomerville93 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the swift replies. I've tested the drive with multiple cables, and from different ports on the motherboard so I don't reckon that's the problem, unless I've been immensely unfortunate.

Cheers, I'm currently in the process of making a usb boot drive actually just for the time being. I'd still like to get this problem fixed though.

5. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    Try cleaning the disc perhaps maybe windex it.