1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Black Border at Boot Screen

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by webJockey, Aug 29, 2011.

1. webJockey New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi all, when my monitor is connected to my HD 5750 via DVI cable i see a black border (about an inch thick) around all corners of my screen until I see windows login screen. I also see this border in safe mode and bios settings screen (the resolution is fine). However there is no such border if I connect it with VGA cable. My card natively support vesa resolution of 1920x1080 and so is the resolution of my LG monitor. I know technically its called under-scanning/scaling but how do I fix it. ATI CCC only helps after windows has booted. I need something that can fix this under scanning issue before winnows has booted. I can't play with monitor settings on digital input. Is it my gpu or monitor?
    Thanks in advance
  2. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    is it a HDMI to dvi cable or just dvi to dvi?
  3. Ev1LrYu

Ev1LrYu

Thanks Received:
    I believe this is a monitor setting issue. I had a similar problem playing warcraft III on a widescreen (wanted: 4:3 so graphics dun look stretched) and setting the in-game option to 1280x1024 still resulted in a stretch. Played around with monitor options (I forgot what it was called posting this from my laptop) and was able to disable aspect ratio correction, but also resulted in POST / bios screen getting centered with black borders.

Hope this points you to the right direction
  4. kn00tcn

kn00tcn

Thanks Received:
    it's certainly to do with the monitor settings

another thing to note, bios screens & everything before windows is usually something like 800x600 or 1024x768
  5. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    This is completely normal the only way your going to fix it is by settings on the tv that stretch the picture
  6. webJockey New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have tried different monitors. It's the same. The problem is you can't mess up monitor settings on digital input(dvi/hdmi). It works fine on VGA
  7. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    Its working fine on dvi/hdmi its stretching 800x600 to a 1080 screen what you see is the largest it can make it without messing up the aspect ratio.

The reason it fills out all the way on vga is because the monitor is further stretching the image regardless of aspect ratio.
    There is no fix besides hooking using the vga and image adjustments.
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  8. kn00tcn

kn00tcn

Thanks Received:
    there's also nothing to 'fix', any image that's not 1:1 will be blurred
  9. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Is this not just scaling issue which can be found in CCC. whitch i be leave is called scaling