1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Black Holes

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by Drone, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Well done, Qubit :) *goes to read*

It's fascinating how gravity - the weakest force of nature can be so powerful.

Cheers!

qubit says thanks.
  2. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    I have never understood this about Quasars (and other materials of the like)

If nothing can escape the gravitational field of a black hole, how do these? (they shoot out both ends of a black hole, most predominantly at the center of galaxies.)

3. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    They take shortcuts with the wording - indeed nothing can come out from the event horizon. Ever.

Somehow, an infalling accretion disc can generate right angled jets of matter close to the event horizon. It doesn't make sense to me how this can happen though, because the matter has to physically change direction, which takes "work" and I've never seen it adequately explained.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  4. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    Care to expound upon this Drone? :D

5. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    There's a "good" explanation for that process. By good I mean how scientists understand that lol.

In a nutshell: The spin of the black hole powers the jets via magnetic fields in the accretion disk.

You can see these links:

http://phys.org/news/2012-01-black-hole-jets.html
    http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2011/09/flaring-jets-exposed/

qubit says thanks.
  6. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    The Quasars are actually produced beyond the event horizon maybe...

7. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Most likely. Nothing seems to escape the event horizon except for Hawking Radiation (which was never detected). All this process is a big mystery that's for sure. Nobody knows all the processes that can happen there, maybe there can be some other forces that mess with matter. And I'm not even talking about the black hole interior. What happens inside can never be described by physics. All our (I mean entire humankind) knowledge seems so limited and incomplete lol,

EDIT:

I've found another very interesting snippets:

<The magnetic coupling process can transfer energy and angular momentum from a rotating black hole to its surrounding disk>.

<Magnetic fields in the vicinity of an accreting, rotating black hole could become twisted, enabling them to carry away energy as an electromagnetic jet>

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  8. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Maybe Dark Matter exists ...

http://phys.org/news/2012-09-mystery-dark-deciphered.html

So we have it

[​IMG]

What could it be?

So they say:

So if their theory works then it's indeed mysterious Dark Matter

9. Inceptor

Inceptor

Thanks Received:
    A quasar is either the jet of a supermassive black hole, in an active galactic nucleus, pointed towards us, or just a massive starbirth and stardeath event in and around an active galactic nucleus, due to the massive amounts of gas swirling in those regions. Or both those things.

10. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Haven't posted in a while but this stuff is postworthy:

That's interesting, I haven't heard about that before.

So basically they say that it would be possible to weigh two black holes after they've collided and merged. I hope that advanced gravitational wave detectors will be built in the future. I can't even imagine how sensitive they must be.

http://phys.org/news/2012-09-spacetime-ripples-dying-black-holes.html

11. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    More interesting news:

Two stars S0-102 and S0-2 orbit our galaxy's supermassive black hole in much less than a human lifetime. S0-102 orbits our Galaxy's supermassive black hole with a period of just 11.5 years. And S0-2, which is 15 times brighter than S0-102, will go through its closest approach to the black hole in 2018. You say who cares and why is this important? Here's why:

They have a chance to see whether Einstein's theory of general relativity is valid near a black hole, where this theory has never been tested before. The deviation from a perfect ellipse is very small and requires extremely precise measurements. I hope they can do it.

I found that article in Science Magazine.

12. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    A bit off topic, but here is a good question:

If we can take high resolution photos of things 13.2 billion LY away, how is it so difficult for us to get a good image of pluto?

My educated guess: There is a gap in what distance instruments can measure, and pluto is in that gap.

13. patrico

patrico

Thanks Received:
    i think its because pluto is so tiny and when we look back we are looking to things that are many light years across, that my interpretation of why not, but hey i may not be totally correct :)

And hey,
    has anyone watched a set of films (theres two of them) by scientists called "THE BIG BANG IS WRONG"? its very good and has some good arguements against the big bang theory, after all is just a theory.

14. Inceptor

Inceptor

Thanks Received:
    So, because that video says that a Quasar looks like it is somehow connected to a much closer galaxy, the verifiable and reliable redshift measurement is somehow wrong? That's pathetic reasoning, no, that's not even reasoning, it's just foolish thinking.

15. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Astronomers discover a new black hole in our galaxy

Yay! There's another one, far away from us, close to the center of the Milky Way. X-ray outbursts revealed its location. :D

http://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/vis/a010000/a011100/a011108/

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  16. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:

this is cool so the visible center of our galaxy is near view my astrological constellation sign of Saggitarius.

17. patrico

patrico

Thanks Received:
    if you had watched both of the vids its not just the Quasar issue,
    but im not saying that its true,
    but that there are many differing theory's about how the universe works,
    and when observations dont match the big bang theory they just make some thing to fit what they think is going on,
    like dark enery and dark matter thats just scientist way of saying they dont know whats going on,
    i dont think we should be so set in our views, as always as new tech opens up new corridors of research and old theorys change as our understanding of the universe deepens

18. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Suppermassive black hole (called ULASJ1234+0907) has been found:

It's amazing what infrared can do, it simply peers through the dust so we're able to "see" what's been unseen.

[​IMG]

That thing is really massive and so far away! Yet they were able to detect it.

http://phys.org/news/2012-10-giant-black-holes-lurking-survey.html

19. douglatins

douglatins

Thanks Received:
    I frigging love black holes

20. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Black hole simulation laser closer to testing. Simulates a white hole inside a black hole!

New Scientist

So, imagine if a black hole and a white hole of equal mass were to meet. Their gravities would be equal and opposite so they'd pass right through each other as if they had no gravity, wouldn't they? Regardless, the physics would be extremely weird and just as fascinating.

21. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Not a pair of photons but a pair of virtual particles. (because photon is an antiparticle of itself). Or did they mean something else?

22. qubit

Thanks Received:
    I'd never heard of photons being referred to as antiparticles before. You could be right about the virtual particles though. However, if they're virtual, then how could you ever see the black hole glow?

For what it's worth, I can't see the singularity being a point of infinite density. I reckon it only looks that way with general relativity because the theory is incomplete in such an extreme environment. I'll bet it fizzes madly with enornous energy dictated by quantum mechanics and is of a definite size. How this thing would look or behave, of course, I have no idea. I'll bet time is bent totally out of shape there too and would be unrecognizable. That's my 2 cents worth, anyway.

23. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    You can see this post. Hawking radiation deals with a pair of electron and positron. They don't actually glow but they emit waves.

And photon is not the only particle which is own antiparticle. For example neutral pion is its own antiparticle. Here you can read about it, it's from a book Richard Feynman wrote:

Photons look exactly the same in all respects when they travel backwards in time...so they are their own anti-particles.

Gravitons, and some WIMPs are believed to have this property too.

Some scientists believe that true singularity doesn't exist at all. They say when neutrinos get packed too close they turn to super-fluid substance which won't let further collapse happen, and hence they prevent the singularity.

qubit says thanks.
  24. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    I'm not even sure how many times I re-watched this video :D

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
    qubit says thanks.
  25. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Hehe, the narrator sounds like the G-man out of Half-life!