1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Black Mesa: Source Gameplay

Discussion in 'Games' started by ViperXTR, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Morgoth

Morgoth

Thanks Received:
    so manny crashes hehe
  2. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Now that they proved they can properly redesign levels, models and everything else i want them to redesign They Hunger. And i'm willing to pay them 20 EUR for a full conversion of that Half-Life mod. Anyone else with me?
  3. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Why not 8x AA? Though you can't see much difference.

No I didn't. Ended up with a gun first but that's only cuz the security guard got lifted up into the air and gutted by a mini-mob. Think I'm going back a little though. Yeah, it's no cakewalk on Medium.

Fantastic, thanks. Maybe that super-fanboy "BlackMesa" will actually make a post in here now. Though probably not...he really seemed intent on having his own thread about the game. :confused: :wtf:
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  4. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Ugh? I'm playing it on hard and it doesn't feel any more harder than original Half-Life. Granted, voltigaunts do more damage and they seem to charge up a bit faster but there is plenty of health kits and charge units...

It's interesting though that you get the powerful revolver almost straight away. In original Half-Life you got it late in the Blast Pit segment of the game. But you don't get the shotgun like you did in original. So, yeah they moved the stuff around a bit.

Oh, just a note if you're running low on health, those soda vending machines will restore you 1hp per drinked can so that's something i don't remember from the original. And you can drink quite a few of them.
  5. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    IDK, man, I'd say I'm "old now" but I still do decently to pretty well in BF3, Tribes: Ascend, etc. Not apple-to-apples exactly but all games with guns generally require similar "skills".

I mean I am not struggling to stay alive but also not really finding it easy.

Edit: Speaking of those two games and this I am sitting here trying to figure out which I feel most like playing right now and having a hard time lol

Edit2: BM it is! :p
  6. Rowsol

Rowsol

Thanks Received:
    Turn on always run in the options menu.
  7. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    I'm not greedy? :ohwell:

I guess I might as well try it might actually "wake up" my card. I was just shocked when I saw it was still sitting at Idle Clocks and playing along at a rock solid 60FPS :wtf:

My problem is it's been SO long since I have played it but I am trying desperately to remember the story but that just ends up getting me in trouble because I don't remember and should just fight it out fresh instead of trying to anticipate it.

The piss poor jump I can see is gonna be a problem the further in I get(Surely Gordon can manage a little better than the "skip" he has here)I may have to chuck back in HL2 just to see if it has always been THAT bad.

But Top notch job from these guys. They may have taken an Eternity to get this thing together but it's been worth it so far.:respect:

I found this great video of a "then and now" Really shows how far it's really come. Been trying to "educate" some of my younger "CoD generation" friends to show them something that was pivotal in the history of FPS gaming.

Makes me feel kinda old tho...:eek:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
    NHKS and qubit say thanks.
  8. nukemdukem New Member

Thanks Received:
    H82LUZ73 says thanks.
  9. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    I'm up to the bit where Gordon is about to go into the test chamber, so I have a feel for it now: awesome!

It's HL2 on HL1, so the feel of the game is spot on. Shame on Valve for not doing this themselves...

I'm really gonna enjoy playing this.

Great vid, INSTG8R. :D
  10. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    You know I would shame them as well for the disappointment HL Source was but at the same time, they allowed this to happen. So even their mistakes are good lol.
  11. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    Greedy? Why do you even have such a powerful card then?

Honest question; not trying to give you a hard time in any way, just doesn't make a lot of sense to post about how your card isn't breaking a sweat in the slightest and not even have *all* the settings cranked.

Anyway, I am trying to avoid spoilers but wondering if I totally missed the crowbar. Is it before the first zombies appear? Please user spoiler tags if you answer, thanks.
  12. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    I dunno just always been satisfied with 4xAA just stuck in that "mode" out of habit I guess.

Won't spoil it but yes I think you may have passed the crowbar but you might be right on top of it as well. You really can't miss it anyway you HAVE to meet up with it pretty much. I just got it myself and remember it having a bit better reach...
  13. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Dude if he isn't going to give you a hard time about I will !

How dare you not max out your graphics on that card! You have disgraced your card with your insolence! Shame on you sir. Shame.

Dude.... Do yo self the favor and turn that S#$% up. :) If not for simply the fact that YOU CAN! Greed ain't got nothing to do with it.

I game at 1920x1080 and I can notice a difference between 4xAA and 8xAA
    Wrigleyvillain says thanks.
  14. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    I have always just used 4xAA it's always been "enough" AA for me. For YEARS so it's a tough habit to break. I assure you that EVERYTHING else is as high as it will go

. Just can't break my 4x 16x habit:shadedshu
  15. qubit

Thanks Received:
    As Black Mesa isn't a Steam game, is it possible to run it without the Steam client?
  16. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    No time like the present! :p

Really...just go to options and change one little drop down! You Can Do It!

I do not think so. At least, a quick glance in the game folder did not turn up an .exe I could launch manually. Needs the SDK as we know so maybe that's why...

Shit where's the crowbar...but you also point out it's not exactly "hidden" so...
  17. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Well it uses the Source SDK so I would guess your gonna need Steam running to get "the guts"

You sound like your wandering the halls aimlessly:laugh: So I take it you got a gun because your Security Guard buddy bought it? Have you crawled thru the ducts yet? That should put you right in "Crowbar Range"
  18. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    Ok say no more...I havent gone too far yet. I did have a gun but it's cuz I sorta let dude get gutted being out of flares so thought mb not everyone gets one quite so early...
  19. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    When I got my 2560x1600 monitor I joined AAA (Anti-Aliasing Anonymous).
    Now I am free of the burden of AA.

On topic : Looks like they did a great job with this. I'm not interested in playing it, but they do deserve kudos for their efforts. :toast:
    INSTG8R says thanks.
  20. qubit

Thanks Received:
    You're not interested in playing it? How... :wtf: Half-life is the game. Go on, give it a go, it's free! :toast:

btw, I'm green with envy over your 2560x1600 monitor.<qubit pretends to look unbothered>
  21. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Yeah... This is a historical and pivotal game in the evolution of the FPS Redone in Source Glory!

I don't think you should even HAVE a Steam Account if it doesn't have a Half Life in it...:shadedshu
    qubit says thanks.
  22. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I have all of the Half Life games on my Steam account.
    Perhaps I worded that badly. I'm not interested in playing it "at the moment".
    qubit and INSTG8R say thanks.
  23. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Jumping is a bit annoying since you have to crouch jump on every freakin object that's taller than 2 centimeters...
  24. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
  25. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Phew, my sanity is saved! :eek: :laugh: