• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Black Screen Issue with G-Sync Enabled on 1280x1024 Resolution

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Case NX
Mouse Razer Viper 8khz,
Keyboard Rapoo
Hello!

I'm facing an issue with my monitor (ZOWIE XL2566K) that supports FreeSync. When I enable G-Sync in the NVIDIA Control Panel and check "Enable settings for the selected model," I experience a 2-3 second black screen when switching back to a game running at a resolution of 1280x1024 using Alt + Tab.

Has anyone else encountered a similar issue, and if so, were you able to find a solution? I would greatly appreciate any advice or suggestions to resolve this inconvenience.
Thank you in advance for your assistance!

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
I can suggest trying to set scaling for non-native resolution in NVCP to GPU controlled instead of the default display controlled and see if that solves the issue. Should be noted that your monitor is not on the NVidia G-Sync Compatible verified list so TECHNICALLY flawless operation is not guaranteed. Not to say it won’t or can’t work, just something to keep in mind.

Case NX
Mouse Razer Viper 8khz,
Keyboard Rapoo
I can suggest trying to set scaling for non-native resolution in NVCP to GPU controlled instead of the default display controlled and see if that solves the issue. Should be noted that your monitor is not on the NVidia G-Sync Compatible verified list so TECHNICALLY flawless operation is not guaranteed. Not to say it won’t or can’t work, just something to keep in mind.
default gpu controlleting.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs, 24TB Enterprise drives
Display(s) 55" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Ahh Gsync, the expensive alternative that was already a standard in use monetized by Nvidia to ensure it just worked unless it didn't.

I thought it was already dead and buried.

Why not 1080?

Case NX
Mouse Razer Viper 8khz,
Keyboard Rapoo
Ahh Gsync, the expensive alternative that was already a standard in use monetized by Nvidia to ensure it just worked unless it didn't.

I thought it was already dead and buried.
:roll:

Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Interesting. It usually defaults to Display from what I’ve seen. Are you running GSync for fullscreen only or fullscreen and windowed? And what’s your OS version, this is surprisingly relevant.

To be completely fair, the GSync module does provide couple of small benefits like good variable overdrive out of the box, good support for non-standard refreshes that some emulators on older games use and scan-out at max refresh regardless of FPS in game.

Case NX
Mouse Razer Viper 8khz,
Keyboard Rapoo
Interesting. It usually defaults to Display from what I’ve seen. Are you running GSync for fullscreen only or fullscreen and windowed? And what’s your OS version, this is surprisingly relevant.

To be completely fair, the GSync module does provide couple of small benefits like good variable overdrive out of the box, good support for non-standard refreshes that some emulators on older games use and scan-out at max refresh regardless of FPS in game.
window 11, and fullscreen only

Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Mhm, you could try to go into Win11 “Settings-Display-Advanced-Graphics settings” and play around with toggles for Variable Refresh Rate and Optimizations for windowed games and see if it would make a difference. Honestly a weird issue, don’t think I have seen something like it before. Worst comes to worst, see if running at native (if the game allows) fixes the issue, that will show if the issue is resolution itself or something else.

Case NX
Mouse Razer Viper 8khz,
Keyboard Rapoo
Mhm, you could try to go into Win11 “Settings-Display-Advanced-Graphics settings” and play around with toggles for Variable Refresh Rate and Optimizations for windowed games and see if it would make a difference. Honestly a weird issue, don’t think I have seen something like it before. Worst comes to worst, see if running at native (if the game allows) fixes the issue, that will show if the issue is resolution itself or something else.

these are all turned on, there is no such problem in native

Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Well, that’s why I said to play around with them. Turn one or both off and see if it helps. Another thing, since you said scaling was by default on GPU, you could try resetting it to Display and see if that helps.
Overall, seems like the G-Sync Compatible implementation on this particular model of yours might not like non-native resolutions for whatever reason. I am not sure what’s your use case for running 1280x1024 if the game supports native, but if it’s non-vital you can just… not? And if this is something silly like running CS 4:3 stretched like some prefer for placebo “performance” reasons, you really should just use DyAc on this monitor for such games and leave G-Sync alone altogether.

Case NX
Mouse Razer Viper 8khz,
Keyboard Rapoo
Well, that’s why I said to play around with them. Turn one or both off and see if it helps. Another thing, since you said scaling was by default on GPU, you could try resetting it to Display and see if that helps.
Overall, seems like the G-Sync Compatible implementation on this particular model of yours might not like non-native resolutions for whatever reason. I am not sure what’s your use case for running 1280x1024 if the game supports native, but if it’s non-vital you can just… not? And if this is something silly like running CS 4:3 stretched like some prefer for placebo “performance” reasons, you really should just use DyAc on this monitor for such games and leave G-Sync alone altogether.

Dyac, if I turn it on, the game is not smooth G-sync, if it is, my eyes are used to it, for fast games, there are huge delays if g-sync is not turned on, but yes, 4:3, the monitor is also turned off, but it's just as bad.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Custom Watercooling
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Royal 2x16GB
Video Card(s) MSi RTX 3080ti Suprim X
Storage 2TB Corsair MP600 PRO Hydro X
Display(s) Samsung G7 27" x2
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1500W
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard Steelseries Apex Pro
Dyac, if I turn it on, the game is not smooth G-sync, if it is, my eyes are used to it, for fast games, there are huge delays if g-sync is not turned on, but yes, 4:3, the monitor is also turned off, but it's just as bad.
1. You are using G-sync Compatible on a monitor that is not officially listed as G-sync Compatible by Nvidia. This could cause issues
2. 1280x1024 is a very weird resolution for this monitor. Scaling/syncing to that resolution could take longer than expected just because
3. Have you tried setting the desktop to 1280x1024 and using windowed fullscreen? As an experiment
4. How do you get huge delays by disabling G-sync? You should expect tearing if your fps does not match the display refresh rate. But huuuuuge delays is a different problem all together

Case NX
Mouse Razer Viper 8khz,
Keyboard Rapoo
1. You are using G-sync Compatible on a monitor that is not officially listed as G-sync Compatible by Nvidia. This could cause issues
2. 1280x1024 is a very weird resolution for this monitor. Scaling/syncing to that resolution could take longer than expected just because
3. Have you tried setting the desktop to 1280x1024 and using windowed fullscreen? As an experiment
4. How do you get huge delays by disabling G-sync? You should expect tearing if your fps does not match the display refresh rate. But huuuuuge delays is a different problem all together
I haven't tried it, but it should work

Case NX
Mouse Razer Viper 8khz,
Keyboard Rapoo
hm?

I haven't tried it, but it should work
old monitor 240hz is working??

why is not it good here?

I tried it if I change the resolution to 1280x1024 and in the game there is a 2-3 sec black screen when I alt+tab, but if it is in 1920x1080 then there is no 2-3 sec black screen