1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Blacklight : Retribution ( A free to play FPS)

Discussion in 'Games' started by pantherx12, Jul 18, 2012.

1. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    First of all, you can get it from here http://blacklight.perfectworld.com/ or on steam.

I've been playing this game the past 2 hours or so, and normally I HATE online FPS games.

But this one I thoroughly enjoyed, and I'm not quite sure why :laugh:

The game is free to play but you can buy gun upgrades for real money how ever. The upgrades are not ludicrously over powered and you have to be a certain level to buy them so only give people a slight edge ( so if your a good shooter you'll still compete) also you earn currency just from playing so you can buy stuff anyway.

Unlike call of Duty where even in team matches I felt like I was playing by myself, people actually used team work in this.

Did I mention there is mechs? ( After you've killed 5 people you can go buy an item that calls in a mech from orbit, thing is everyone has this ability so it isn't over powered, how ever it makes things fun if you get five kills quickly! :laugh:) I mostly just stay on foot though as I prefer the speed.
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  2. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    That's kind of funny, I just read your OP, then opened up Catalyst Control Center and it's the featured ad on the home tab:laugh:
  3. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm Pantherx12 on steam and on blacklight if you want to play :toast:
    MT Alex says thanks.
  4. Yo_Wattup New Member

Thanks Received:
    I saw this game on the 'WTF is' series on YouTube, definately will be getting it. The upgrade/equipment system looks overwhelming, however.
  5. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's a bit over whelming when you first look at it, but it's actually very easy.

It's just time consuming if you go through every option :laugh:

My only complaint about this game is that it takes a lot of time to earn enough to buy equipment permanently.

At the moment level one equipment ( all I have access to right now) ranges from 150gp to around 300gp ( Basically one match worth of money) for one day of use.

But it can cost 6000gp to buy an item permanently ( for example some armour)
  6. Yo_Wattup New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I heard about that too.
  7. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    I have been asked to play the game but I just started playing Tribes: Ascend and can't get enough of it (the voice spamming is a bit annoying though).
    I think the mechanics of the game a pretty similar as I when i looked in the steam forums and clicked on Blacklight Retribution I thought I was somehow still in the Tribes section due to very similar thread questions.
  8. Yo_Wattup New Member

Thanks Received:
    So i got the game, its pretty cool, but there are a few things that make me not that crazy about it. First the maps; the maps are very basic and same-y, alot like COD maps.

Secondly the xray vision thing.... its an interesting idea, but the fact that it shows your location basically means that you can do little recon style playing, further associating the play style with a Call Of Duty game.

Lastly, as panther mentioned, the price of equipment when you want to purchaee it permanently. Dont get me wrong, i love that you have the option to pay for only a day's use of any piece of equipment, kind of like a 'try before you buy' thing, but the permanent prices suck. For example, with my less than average playing, it will take me about 20 matches to get enough game currency to buy a barrel for an assault rifle, never mind the rest of the gun.

I do however love all the customization options, the game goes above and beyond BF3 and COD in that regard.

Thing is though, every time i play Blacklight, i say to myself "Why arent i playing BF3?"
  9. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    A strange thing about this game is it costs £9 for 1000gp.

Thats about an hour and halfs work minimum wage here in the UK.

It takes 30 minutes in game to earn 1000GP.

Why would anyone but rich people buy GP lol

@ Yo wattup I recon play all the time man, the x-ray thing has to recharge and in combat it makes you vulnerable ( most people use it when they spawn)

I'm constantly sneaking up on people :D Only way I can take down heavily armour high level people.

I think when the game it's finished it should be a lot better though, I think it's still in beta ( Press to talk doesn't even work XD)

They definitely need to tweak the prices of things. A poundof quid ought to net you a piece of equipment permanently.
  10. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    This game failed in its first form and that's why its "free to play" now.

I played it for an hour few months ago.

If your expecting more to come , don't get your hopes up.
  11. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    It gets patched pretty much every day so far and new features have been added even since I started playing :toast:
  12. KingPing

KingPing

Thanks Received:

I don't agree, it has little in common with the first one. And it has been updated regulary adding more content and game modes.

And the fact that almost everything can be bought without using real money is great IMO, the same as WoT, it's the reason i play these game, it's all up to your skill. Of course you can speed things up if you invest some money.
  13. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    I stand corrected then.[​IMG]
  14. Capitan Harlock

Capitan Harlock

Thanks Received:
    oh i was wait for this thread xd, panther i add you on steam xd , on black light im Barbatrippi xd on steam rubber_87 .
    pantherx12 says thanks.
  15. purecain

purecain

Thanks Received:
    blacklight is at times elite... so dont let the free to play moniker put you off... ive had countless hours of fun playing the game...
    when i stopped playing i made sure i had saved up enough points to buy some decent armour and prebuild my fav gun combinations when i start to play again....

the maps are also really well built imo.... ive had some pretty intense team matches playing with strangers aswell...
    they patch out the hackers which makes this a win game... @pantherx12 and captain harlock i'll definatly come online and have a session when i'm back in uk... glad some of the techpowerup crowd have started playing...
    Capitan Harlock and pantherx12 say thanks.
  16. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Accepted :toast:

I'm mostly like to play between 12 and 6 pm UK time :toast: ( or at 2 am ;) )

@purecain, nice! I have to agree sometimes it is crazy intense, I love when you get two really evenly matched teams and your just within 3 points of each other the entire match and then you look at the kills/deaths at the end and pretty much everyone has died an equal amount of times XD

I keep getting my shit wrecked recently though quick join keeps putting me in with lvl 20 players and my current equipment just doesn't do enough damage ( so I HAVE to go for head shots, which I am good at, but a lot of these players have faster reactions than me ha ha ha)

( I like that the game announces who is on a shit wrecking spree with "X player is now high threat" I normally get killed within 2 minutes of receiving that myself XD)
    Capitan Harlock says thanks.
  17. purecain

purecain

Thanks Received:
    at the end of a match it gets really exciting....
    some of the snipers are getting good... i usually commando my way up behind where they've dug in looking for revenge.
    my hands literally start shaking with win when i see a bunch who havnt spotted me... especially if they managed to kill me a fair amount of times in my previous attempts...
    :nutkick:
    the game is that fast paced you can be literally too busy shooting people to stop... 3weeks and i'll be back in game...:toast:
  18. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    I just got this earlier, and have been playing for quite a while now. I'm level 4 iirc. LOL
  19. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Hey panther Ill give this a shot if you try out Tribes:Ascend with me (also F2P). And I want you to do so not just cuz I get some XP for the referral. :)
  20. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    So, who's playing this in the US servers? :p