1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Blizzard Bans 30,000 from WoW

Discussion in 'News' started by D_o_S, Jun 13, 2006.

1. D_o_S

D_o_S Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Video game manufacturer Blizzard said Friday that it had banned over 30,000 users of World of Warcraft during the month of May in a crackdown on cheating. The online role-playing game has over 6.5 million subscribers and nearly a 50 percent share of the market, according to recent estimates.

The bans remove about 30 million gold from the economies of the virtual worlds in the games called "realms." Blizzard says that the cheating affects the economy of the realm and hurts gameplay for others, as well as violating the game's terms of use.

"We will continue to aggressively monitor all World of Warcraft realms in order to protect the service and its players from the harmful effects of cheating," the company said in a statement. "Please note that selling World of Warcraft content, such as gold, items, and characters, can result in a permanent ban of the involved accounts from World of Warcraft."

Source: Betanews
  2. sinner33 New Member

Thanks Received:
    You already have to pay to play this game. Now they're banning peoples accounts. Sounds like a good idea since people want to enjoy a cheat free environment, since they already have to pay to play. This is like a kick in the face of cheaters :D All those godly items and advantages over others all gone in one foul swoop. :)

Even though I don't play this game,
    Take that you fudgen cheaters! :slap:
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2006
  3. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I don't play this game, so this really doesn't affect me, but I am glad they did it. I hate online cheaters.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Its all those damn Gold Miners with their broken english pushing their product on North American servers. I say GTFO and don't come back.
  5. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    I too am glad, I haven't played it. But I have played too many where cheats were used and made the game crap. Like Halo was becoming unbearable at the very last. I still wouldn't mind playing it except the burnout from all the fecking cheaters and the screaming kiddos.

Two thumbs up Blizzard.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  6. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ban em and hang em I say and if Blizzard wanna be really radical make them swap their AMD for a celeron!
  7. warup89

Thanks Received:
    idiots; for all the time i played online games i never cheated well, once i tried some cheat at bf2 demo, but i got sad and slap myself for two days straigh. Anyways, im so happy for all those bans.
  8. BigD6997

BigD6997 New Member

Thanks Received:
    cheaters and hackers suck cuz they have no skill so they have to do that... tho paying to play is kinda lame so ill never play this game as long as guild wars lives, except i dont play that game either so i guess i like games that take skill and u dont just click
  9. bretts31344

bretts31344

Thanks Received:
    Think of all the money Blizzard is losing from this. 30,000 * $15 = 450,000 each month. I am glad Blizzard's priority is the customers not money.
  10. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    Lets put it this way... I love playing without cheats. But the fun part for me about cheating is figuring out HOW. Who cares about the exploit, its the haxing fun of getting there... Not doing it. What Blizzard has done is right, the gold farmers (chinese bastards) in the world had to go...
  11. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Through some morbidly complex formula they probably found that they can make more money by banning all the h4xors and keeping all the regualr users. If they didnt, over time all the regular people would quit due to the h4xors and then the h4xors would have no one to sell their gold to and they would quit which would be the end of WoW. It is in Blizzard's best economic interests to keep the game h4x free as possible :toast: