1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Blizzard makes $2 Million in 4 hours from new mount

Discussion in 'Games' started by reverze, Apr 16, 2010.

1. reverze

Thanks Received:
  2. Phxprovost

Phxprovost Xtreme Refugee

Thanks Received:
    stupid people buy stupid things, does not surprise me at all :roll:

3. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Lol, $25 bucks for an in game item! :roll:

4. F1reFly

F1reFly New Member

Thanks Received:
    If your really into something, you'll pay for options regardless if its just for looks,symbolic or performance.
    Some people waste money on fake hoodscoops for their cars or pay for an LCD fan regulator thats 3x's more than analogue dials that do the same thing. I don't see how this is any different, it just depends on what your geek about.

erocker says thanks.
  5. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I completely agree with you, but I just find the price a bit steep is all. :toast:

6. DaveK

DaveK

Thanks Received:
    What F1reFly said is very true, people will spend the money. I spent extra cash on my Antec 900 over the 300 just because it had a side window lol.

But this is an in-game item, that's like paying $20 for a set of rims in a car game, that's just a little too much.

7. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    I saw that. WoW players are a pretty fanatic bunch and unique mounts are a very sought after item in the game.

I wouldn't buy this mount, but I can say that I paid $10 for the Lil KT in game pet and $25 for a few faction/server transfers. I liked the little pet, what can I say? I was really into the game and had the spare cash.

I don't raid anymore and rarely log in, so the money is wasted. Too bad I can't ebay my account. I got 30 Fragments of Val'anyr and no guild to kill Yogg Saron with.

8. SystemViper

SystemViper

Thanks Received:
    ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh, tingles, ohhhhhhhhh la la

must change pants

DannibusX says thanks.
  9. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    I think its GHEY that ppl will spend $$$ on this. The only thing I have ever bought from the store was the authenticator. I play every day and raid 25 ICC 2 - 3 nights a week and have no use for all these vanity items off the Blizzard Store. Look me up Tonabwen on Mannoroth.

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    For $25 it should travel at 310% regardless if you had a mount that flew that fast before or not, lol.

And if it did fly @ 310% on its own I would probably buy it. /cringe

AlienIsGOD says thanks.
  11. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    /agreed. For the $$$ grab this is they should have at least made it 310%....:banghead:

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I wonder how many people bought this, thinking they would be the shit because they are one of the few that have one, only to get into the game a week or two from now and see everyone walking around with one...

All the people that think these idiotic vanity items matter, probably bought one too. Everyone else doesn't give a shit that you have too much money and want to show it in a video game.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  13. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    Even though they made 4 million off of the mount, there won't be a whole heck of a lot of people with them. It'll be spread out across all their realms.

Although it won't be super rare, it won't be all that common until next weekend :p

14. Benetanegia

Benetanegia New Member

Thanks Received:
    The world is crazy. Anyone read the comments?

I really hope that's not true. I have never played WoW, nor I ever want to, but it could be interesting to play it now, after all, you don't see sheep mounting on fancy horses everyday. :roll: Lame.

At $25 per stupid item, Blizzard doesn't need to make a new game ever again. :shadedshu

15. johnnyfiive

johnnyfiive

Thanks Received:
    I've spent more than $25 for water tubing, many times. If you think about it, me spending more than $20 for tubing is pretty stupid. So really, its all a matter of perspective, and in my perspective, I think a my little pony sparkling horse in WoW is about as gay as gay can get. However, I don't think $25+ worth of white UV tubing is gay. So really... everyones a geek :D

16. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Blizzard makes enough money from the millions of £8.99 a month people pay to play the game,greedy bastards could give this shit away free.But i suppose if there are enough retards who will pay money to have the newest crappy mount,then why not squeeze more money out of the saps.

17. DaveK

DaveK

Thanks Received:
    Man, I'd do anything for €500 and all these guys are just spending $25 on this crap. The world we live in :(

18. aCid888*

aCid888* New Member

Thanks Received:
    70% of the time its their parents money any way, dont worry yourself. :nutkick:

I agree with the 2nd post...no need to quote it.

19. F1reFly

F1reFly New Member

Thanks Received:
    I spent $800 on a 64 gig SSD. I did so for performance, but its what i was geek about which of course means overly obsessed. People obsess over a huge variety of things to a point where money isnt much of an object even if they can't really afford it or strain to afford.
    Just look at most Apple products, one would have to be a geek to pay for their stuff :D

i woudlnt say its "gay" either, but i know my wife would and probably some of the guys i work with would certainly give the eyebrow squint of such things.

20. Castiel

Castiel

Thanks Received:
    They may make a lot of money a year but it also cost them hundreds of thousands of dollars to just run the servers everyday, pay employee's, and other fees for extra projects, so they don't bank as much.

I don't see why its necessary to call these people stupid for buying this. Yes, $25 dollars is a bit much to y'all for a mount, but if this was a drop from some big boss in the game, it would be worth even more than that. I thought about buying this, but I didn't because I just don't want it. Several people have bought this because its cool and they had the $25 to blow on this... But I don't see these people as "retards" just working people liking something and buying it. They might think the same to you if you spent $25 on Cold Cathodes and Fans just to make your computer case light up. :)

21. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    It's no more useless than many of the other things most of us buy in our everyday wasteful lives....

22. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi New Member

Thanks Received:

beer and hookers are plenty useful, how dare you suggest otherwise!

blkhogan and DanTheBanjoman say thanks.
  23. v12dock

v12dock

Thanks Received:
    These things are everywhere
    [​IMG]

24. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    sorry, but is that the default UI? gasp...had no idea people actually used that thing ;P

25. v12dock

v12dock

Thanks Received:
    Umm everything else looks like garbage :p and I had my addons disabled anwyays