1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Blizzard Sues Valve over DOTA name

Discussion in 'Games' started by 1Kurgan1, Feb 14, 2012.

1. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Can't say I didn't expect this, though I was wondering if it would really happen since DOTa is just a mod. But with Kotick at the helm, I guess it was a matter of when, not if.

Source

The Jargon goes on and on if you want to read it all in the link, but reading just a few of these will give you the jist of it.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
    DannibusX and BumbleBee say thanks.
  2. Wyverex

Wyverex

Thanks Received:
    As much as I hate stuff like this, this time Blizzard is not the main bad guy.
    Valve tried to trademark the Dota name, and that's just BS

3. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    According to their claim Valve is trying to cash in on Blizzard's hard work, it says right there they spent 7 years developing DotA!!!

Remind me when a single Blizzard developer EVER touched the code for DotA. Icefrog picked up where others left off and has spent the past couple years turning DotA from a very niche Custom Game to one of the most competative games\mods in E-Sports. I think Icefrog has more rights to the name than Blizzard, since anyone who's followed DotA extensively will tell you he's put more time and effort into DotA than any single person.

digibucc and 1Kurgan1 say thanks.
  4. Wyverex

Wyverex

Thanks Received:
    Oh, Blizzard is a bad guy, of course, I did not say otherwise. But Valve is trying to trademark something they have no right to, imho.

As for Blizzard's hard work - their hard work was making a good Warcraft 3 editor. If they are really claiming to have made dota in any way, than that's probably even worse than what Valve's doing.

5. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    Blizzard doesn't own the name of DotA. Valve didn't try to trademark DotA, they trademarked Dota 2. Notice Blizzard didn't sue until well after they announced Blizzard DOTA.

As a fan of both companies, I think Blizzards claim is without merit. DotA had little to do with Blizzard as a developer and is derived from their work on Warcraft III.

Personally, I would prefer Valve to call it something else, but I'm sure they want fans of the genre and the mod to recognize that Dota 2 is a fully-backed continuation of the mod they love. Call it VotA or something.

6. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    Blizzard has no right to the name as it is not one of their franchises, it is merely a community mod for one of their games. The wording of the complaint gives the impression that Blizzard has a hand in development, which is like saying Bethesda had a hand in the Morroblivion mod.

Granted, it may not be appropriate for Valve to try to trademark it as it is a pre-existing entity, but Blizzard has no legal recourse for suing them over it.

7. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    Actually Valve hired Icefrog, and since he's the guy with the most time tweaking DOTA, I think they would have the most right. Rather than Valve just using their own devs to make a sequel (which they easily could have done) they went out and hired a well known member of the community to direct how the game is made, I do like it when companies go out of their way to do things like that.

8. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    Valve is out of their mind imo

9. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    well there's another point of respect loss for Blizzard. What's going on with that company? greedy bastards

10. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    If it was Ice Frog which sued Valve, that would be understandable. But Ice Frog was never a part of Blizzard. He was the only one left from the original team who made DoTA.

11. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Blizzard did say that whatever content we create in their games belong to them.

I personally don't care what they name their games, as long as its good. I don't mind playing Big Rigs 2: under the legends if the gameplay is completely the same as DotA.

Wyverex says thanks.
  12. Wyverex

Wyverex

Thanks Received:
    You make it sound like Icefrog owns DotA Intellectual Property, which he does not.

When Icefrog started working on DotA, he agreed to the terms of use for War3 editor, and by doing that he waived all rights to owning the product he made.

Also, why are you guys so aggressive and protective of Valve/Icefrog? Both Valve and Blizzard are playing dirty to make as much money as they can - that's why they are both called business companies.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  13. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    I didn't make it sound like he had any legal right at all. In this day in age we have legal right to squat, but that doesn't mean thats right. I'm just saying he's the guy who invested the time into the mod, Blizzard just as easily could have hired him as well. But instead they just decided to work off the ideas of his many hours and not offer him a job, Valve stepped up, and I give them credit for that. I always think it's cool to see when a modder gets a real job in the industry.

And the reason we have a strong opinion is because of Kotick himself, I don't even want to start pasting his quotes. It's all about business, but Kotick has made it plain and simple, even if the product is bad, as long as it sells he will milk it for all it's worth. And this just seems like another thing he wants to milk, don't know why the decisions to sue took so long to be honest.

Also I don't care to look through all of the right he signed off when using the Editor, but I would be surprised if signing off on a mod name would be one of those, after all you don't need a game editor to come up with a name... And thats all they are suing about is the name.

digibucc says thanks.
  14. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Blizzard needs to STFU and make a new The Lost Vikings game already. Hell I would even take Blackthorne at this point.

15. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    When was Ice Frog hired by Blizzard? I never knew that. :laugh:

Last ver. I played was 6.39 iirc

16. Cheeseball

Thanks Received:
    IceFrog was hired by Valve, not Blizzard.
    Guinsoo went to Riot Games (LoL).
    God only knows where Eul went.

17. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    Oh yeah, read that wrong the first time. :laugh: So that's why I never heard of it. :laugh:

18. Nozoned

Nozoned New Member

Thanks Received:
    Activi$ion.

digibucc says thanks.