1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Block on one IP

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by 846studios, Dec 29, 2012.

1. 846studios

846studios New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am pulling my hair out with this one. I can't access my own website from the web or from my FTP. The ISP is ATT U-Verse the router is the POS Motorola NVG510 with a Linksys WRT110 running in front of it. What if anything can I do to get around this and access my website? . Why in God's name would they just block this IP selectively? It's not a problem with my host, it's all in the NVG510 and ATT support knows less than I do. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm to the point of switching ISP's but I'm locked in on a term and would have to pay it out anyway. Would love to make this work until the term is up.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  2. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    When our spam filter picked your added address up I went to check out if the link was spam or not. I was eventually able to get on the page, but there is definitely some scripting errors going on when it did load.

As of now I cannot get there at all.

3. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yea, I did a Whois lookup on the site and I'd say it's a problem with GoDaddy.com not your ISP. But yea sneekypeet my spam sense's were tingling..lol

EDIT: Try doing a Tracert on your site and see how many hops are down as well.

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. 846studios

846studios New Member

Thanks Received:
    I should also mention that I can get to it through a proxy on my PC or from a mobile device. I can see it from other PC's also if they are not on my network. Just can't figure it out. Very frustrating. Go Daddy is my domain's registrar but my hosting is at 3owl.com. I can access 3owl also, just not my website.

5. 846studios

846studios New Member

Thanks Received:
    The trace stops after 3, it's like right after it leaves my network. I can't ping it either.

6. Mindweaver

Thanks Received:
    I'd call your ISP and tell them what happens when you try to Tracert your site, and I'd call your host (GoDaddy.com) as well. It sounds like your ISP or who ever they are leasing there lines through (Bellsouth, etc) is having problems. I'd call and open a support ticket. :toast: I'd also, try to escalate the severity of the ticket as well.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. 846studios

846studios New Member

Thanks Received:
    Been there done that. I got to the top level of ATT support and they wanted to charge me $15 a month with a one year commitment or a one time fee of $149 to attempt to solve my problem. I was like Really? I can see my site through a proxy, from another PC not on my network, from mobile, and from the preview feature in my control panel at my hosting site. Just can't see it from the web on my PC or edit it through my FTP. Very weird indeed.

8. Mindweaver

Thanks Received:
    You've probably already checked, but have you looked at your host file?

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    host file, the DNS server you use, firewalls/antivirus.

they could all cause it.

the website took almost a minute to load for me, so its certainly got its own issues.

10. Mindweaver

Thanks Received:
    Yea, there's a lot that could be going on. I'd try from another computer in the house to rule out his pc. That would rule out the host file and firewalls/anivirus on the pc. He can also try a free DNS to rule out the DNS Server. :toast: also, unplug the router and go straight to the modem to rule out the router.

EDIT: I just notice all the mods are in here!..lol That means someone is breaking in somewhere else..lol :roll:

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. 846studios

846studios New Member

Thanks Received:
    Switched the DNS servers to Google Public DNS 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 and everything else appears to be in order. The other PC's in the house can't see it either.

12. 846studios

846studios New Member

Thanks Received:
    I did go straight to the router and same problem. I also reset the NVG510 to factory defaults and started over from scratch. Bridged the gateway and put the Linksys in front again with the same settings. This worked the first time I did it, but not this time. Weird too the page load time that you are all getting, last time it loaded for me was less than 2 seconds. That was from another PC cold, and not my own so it wasn't cached.
    I really appreciate all of the input on this BTW :)

13. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    It feels like the web server. The first two times I loaded the page in Firefox it gave me a blank page and returned no content. The response headers looked fine as well. If you have access to the web server via SSH, I would try checking out the Apache access and error logs to see if anything looks out of the ordinary assuming you have access to them. It could be a good starting point.

I also noticed that you're using PHP, are you sure that the code you wrote is always execute properly? It will be hard to tell if it's a PHP problem if you have debugging disabled and don't have that error/debug output redirected anywhere. I suspect that the blank page is a good sign that there are a number of times that PHP is throwing a fatal error with error reporting disabled. I think you might have a bug in the code you wrote. Does DNS resolve fine on every machine you've tried it on? (Use nslookup to check it.)

As I said before though, the DNS feels fine on my end. In fact DNS resolved very quickly if I may say so myself through comcast and google.
    Code:
    C:\Users\jdoane>nslookup 846studios.com
    Server:  cdns01.comcast.net
    Address:  75.75.75.75

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name:    846studios.com
    Address:  31.170.166.75
    Code:
    jdoane@Edison:~$ dig 846studios.com

; <<>> DiG 9.8.1-P1 <<>> 846studios.com
    ;; global options: +cmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 18818
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;846studios.com.                        IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    846studios.com.         86400   IN      A       31.170.166.75

;; Query time: 122 msec
    ;; SERVER: 75.75.75.75#53(75.75.75.75)
    ;; WHEN: Sat Dec 29 06:07:24 2012
    ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 48

Code:
    jdoane@Edison:~$ nslookup 846studios.com 8.8.8.8
    Server:         8.8.8.8
    Address:        8.8.8.8#53

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name:   846studios.com
    Address: 31.170.166.75

14. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    why did he end up banned? :/

Aquinus says thanks.
  15. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, what the heck! I think it was a perfectly legitimate question. Who ever banned him needs to get slapped. :mad:

I know that if I came to TPU looking for help just to get banned, I wouldn't think very highly of TPU. I think he needs to be un-banned and an apology issued unless I'm missing something, but considering this was the only thread he posted in and nothing looks malicious, I don't think it was a good call. In fact, I don't even know why it was considered...

16. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    i think he got mistaken for spam. if he's reading this, he can appeal to the higher ups (w1zzard/urlyin) to get it removed.

17. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Unbanned, we will allow this thread.

Mussels says thanks.
  18. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I see nothing wrong with your DNS entries. The site is also working for me.

When you can't reach it, check using http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

Also try running a traceroute to it (open command prompt, tracert 31.170.166.75) or try with the hostname first.

there is quite some packet loss between level3 and your hosting company:
    [​IMG]

19. 846studios

846studios New Member

Thanks Received:
    OK, unbanned and catching up. I edited my post some to remove the links so it may not make much sense now unless you were already in the conversation. Let me look at some of things everyone above mentioned and see what I come up with. I truly appreciate everyone here making my problem "theirs" too. :) There has to be something that will make this work. The only other thing I tried since I last posted was changing the DNS to Open DNS instead of Google public DNS. Saw a post elsewhere where this helped with a similar problem. Didn't help, didn't hurt in my case. Back to the drawing board. :banghead:

20. 846studios

846studios New Member

Thanks Received:
    OK, says it's just me that can't see it. The traceroute is the same for me at level 3.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  21. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Says the same for me.

22. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    question: is it being hosted from inside your network?

23. 846studios

846studios New Member

Thanks Received:
    No, it's hosted outside my network.

24. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    just checking, because i've seen this problem many times before trying to access internal stuff via WAN, the router tends to reject it.

clearly not the issue here however.

25. 846studios

846studios New Member

Thanks Received:
    Good question though. The whole thing that miffs me is that it was working then it just quit. The only thing I see that is different is that ATT's router says IPV6 available even though I have it off. Supposedly this will interfere with the bridging of their router. If you talk to them though, they will say that their router can't be bridged. All I know is that with just their router it didn't work at all because you can't change their DNS config and from combing the net they appear to have problems with the way the NVG510 handles DNS. After adding the linksys and changing the settings in both including the dns in the linksys it worked for two weeks or so.