1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Blu Ray drive vs Blu Ray external with 4XXX series, need some help!

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by newconroer, Dec 4, 2009.

1. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Couldn't think of where else to slap this in, so, move if necessary.

I'm torn between buying a Blu Ray drive and watching content on the computer, or buying a Blu Ray box, and using it for the TV and computer (depending on the situation).

I have heard though, that if you don't have a HDMI native or HDCP compliant monitor, that you have a problem - something about not being able to use both of the DVI outputs on your video card simultaneously?

Anyone have any experience with running an external box with 4XXX cards?
  2. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    NO problems here with BLu-Ray or HD-DVD playback. I have 2 4890's, and 4 monitors connected. Most likely the issue was software(PowerDVD/WinDVD). DVI/HDMI doesn't seem to matter for me, altohugh, yes I had issues some time ago...must have been over a year or so.

That said, I use PS3 for blu-ray playback more often than not now, just to get a bit less noise.
  3. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    I'm aware that if you have HDCP compliant or HDMI, then a straight cable connection should do you fine; however I have a feeling this monitor might not be compliant.

I don't think there's a workaround for that though.

I just haven't followed the whole content protection thing for the last several years ; not sure if anything's changed.
  4. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    There is a work around. AnyDVD HD.

And unless you want to copy and rip BD, a set top player or ps3 on your main tv is probably best.