1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Blu-Ray Playback

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Castiel, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Castiel

Castiel

Thanks Received:
    Hello Forum.

I am looking for some software that is great for Blu-Ray playback for a PC. I am looking at a Lite-On Blu-Ray player for my Pc, but reviews say that the software that comes with it is crap. Is there anything out there that y'all know is great Blu-Ray playback for PC besides Power DVD.

Thanks!

2. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
  3. Castiel

Castiel

Thanks Received:
    That requires me to rip the Blu-Ray for VLC to play it. I really don't want to do that, I want playback from the drive.

Techtu says thanks.
  4. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    Sorry about that.

5. Castiel

Castiel

Thanks Received:
    No its cool. I've been looking at Nero 10 to use.

6. CJCerny

CJCerny

Thanks Received:
    Corel's WinDVD and Arcsoft's Total Media Theater are your only other two choices.

7. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I have to agree with the rest of the forum. Lite-on's players have absolutely crap software. Not to mention the crappy support for digital audio output. I have had less issues with quality after I rip the stuff into an mkv. For disc playback it does eventually work, but requires a lot of initial work to get thing started.

Besides the crap software, check that your OS is supported. I tried to install it on xp x64 and the software had a fit. Apparently M$ never released updates to x64 that allows the authentication for hi-def playback. However, they have released it for x86 sp3 and all later OSs. Funny that the seller implies that x64 will see the drive (it does), but never say anything about playback support.

The other options are all pay to play, and they have a rather steep introductory price. I would suggest you start out looking into stand alone players. They are coming closer to the price of a drive (not counting the extra software purchase), but you don't have to deal with all of the playback issues.

8. avatar_raq

Thanks Received:
    How about Cyberlink PowerDVD 10?

9. streetfighter 2

streetfighter 2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I encountered this issue when I was building my HTPC. Unfortunately it's rather non-trivial :(. None of the public/open-source players natively play blu-rays, at least not yet . . .

I got Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra 9, which was pretty good but I had some problems with it and my laptop. I went on AVS forum, which is where all the HTPC experts hang out, and I found out about Total Media Theater (previously mentioned by CJCerny). Most of the patrons of AVS forum agreed that Total Media Theater was the way to go (NOTE: I last checked in mid 2010). I haven't tried it yet myself because I already plopped down 100 bones on PowerDVD . . .

Shoulda done my research before I wasted my money. . . :ohwell:

EDIT: Somewhat recent comparo of TMT3, PowerDVD 10, WinDVD 10.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011