1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Blu-ray software player without the bloat?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Divide Overflow, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Divide Overflow

Divide Overflow

Thanks Received:
    Is there a decent HD Blu-ray player out there for Windows 7 64 bit that doesn't have all the bloat that I've seen from some of the more common offerings? I'd like to just pop the disk in and play it, no ripping and converting, no massive auto-updating in-your face launchers.

Your recommendations are appreciated!

2. Damn_Smooth

Damn_Smooth

Thanks Received:
    You don't have to install the software with any Blu-Ray player. Just the drivers.

3. m4gicfour

m4gicfour

Thanks Received:
    Not if you want to watch protected Blu-ray movies.

Damn_Smooth says thanks.
  4. Damn_Smooth

Damn_Smooth

Thanks Received:
    Really? I haven't tried watching a Blu-Ray since I wiped the software. DVDs work though. I'm gonna go try it. Thanks for the correction.

Edit: You're right. That's stupid, I didn't know it wouldn't work.

5. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    Most BR software is made to share it's codec with WMP or WMC and then you just set your autoplay preference to WMP or WMC and your good....I use Arcsoft set to auto Full screen...as soon as the disk loads it plays

6. m4gicfour

m4gicfour

Thanks Received:
    It has to do with the encryption system BD-Rom uses. IIRC the encryption keys are periodically updated, and companies have to pay for the updated keys to be able to decrypt and therefore play BR movies. VLC, for example, can play unencrypted Blu-Ray format video files, but being free software there's no way they could be expected to continually pay for the ability to decrypt the protected discs. I imagine that at some point Microsoft will join in and pay for the liscence to include it in WMP, like they did with DVD. The main difference is BR you have to keep updating it.

Yep. Still, there's more bloat than there needs to be in the plugins. That said, I usually watch BR movies via WMC.

Damn_Smooth says thanks.