1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

BOINC Vs ThE DeLL

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by DaMulta, May 9, 2009.

1. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    So I had a P4 HT 3.0Ghz 4X512GB DDR Crunching for days at 100%.

I had to reset for somthing, and the machine told me I was having memory errors. It still booted into windows, but locked up shortly after that.

So I pulled 2 sticks, booted in a again, but a lock again. In the end it stopped coming on and I thought it had to be the ram. Yet I did have another PSU here, so I poped it in with it with the same thing. On off on off. Ram was dead totaly.

Well yes the ram was dead but not the ONLY thing dead

:nutkick: P3 3.0Ghz HT 478 CPU

Take that:nutkick: and that :nutkick: and one more for the road:nutkick:

It be dead as well lol So Cyber want me to send this ram back? IDK if I want to crunch a 1.4Ghz(the only 478 chip I have(I thought I had a 3Ghz celeron...Hmm) machine all tho it would make a good web box......IDK take that P4:nutkick: lol

BOINC
    The Dell Killer!

2. 4x4n

4x4n Xtreme Refugee

Thanks Received:
    Are you sure the chip is dead? Maybe it's the board. I see people all the time saying that their chip died, but I have never killed a chip in the dozen or so years I've been building. And I have abused the crap out of a majority of them.

3. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    I put a new chip in and it boots up. I stick the orignal chip in it does not turn on. I put the other chip in it boots.

Taken out the battery, psu, reset cmos.

I've killed chips(not stock..personaly..)BUT I have seen dead chips before it does happen from time to time. Being a Intel P4 I'm even more surprised, but not everything can hold up.

4. h3llb3nd4

h3llb3nd4 New Member

Thanks Received:
    LOL:laugh:
    so far only my rig is crunching, but not 24/7 so I'm fine!
    but I don't think Boinc will only kill Dells, maybe others such as eMachines:)