1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bombs Away for Intel Core i7

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Octavean

Thanks Received:
    Just ordered an Intel Core i7 920 retail box at ~$319.99 USD and an ASUS P6T Deluxe at ~$299.99 USD from newegg.com. Micro Center has the Core i7 920 for $299.99 for in store pickup but I got lazy when I went to newegg to look for X58 motherboards. It should ship some time early next week. The total with shipping was ~$630 and all I needed was the motherboard / CPU since I have the rest of the parts.

I came close to ordering the MSI X58 Platinum LGA 1366 Retail Motherboard for $220.99 USD though which would have made my order about ~$540 USD.

Now to go back into all those threads to find those posts of people saying we couldn't hope to buy the i7 920 and an X58 board for anywhere near ~$600 USD,..... ;)
  2. insider Guest

Yes, avoid overclockers UK like the plague, best to buy from places like ebuyer.
  3. paulo7 New Member

Thanks Received:
    would u rele bother going up to a p45 IRA FBI? I might just skip straight over to nehalem system in 6 months or so once 8 core ones are out they should be good!
  4. hv43082 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think the CPU price is reasonable, mobo price is also somewhat reasonable (keep in mind these are premium mobos) but DDR3 prices are still way too high. I don't see them coming down soon due to the demand for Core i7.
  5. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    That would be a damn nice pc to view photos on :D
  6. paulo7 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have always found ocuk to be ok they do like to cash in sometimes but can you blame them? If they have stock b4 noone else and you rele want it choice is yours i guess

sure would be tigger! lol
  7. ghost101

ghost101 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Even looking at VAT, we're still getting raped. The UK is particularly getting raped. The UK and european prices are close to 1:1. Last time I checked VAT in the UK and Germany were almost identical and the pound was stronger than the euro.

As others have mentioned, its because of overclockers uk, getting the first stock and overpricing.
  8. insider Guest

Indeed, prices are set to the maximum the market can bear, the UK has always been the rip off ass raped capital of the western world...

Most Brits have more money than sense (while other countries would suffer far lower sales given the same price), obviously people in the UK are there to be ass raped!

Importing from other EU countries is sometimes the best option...
  9. Octavean

Thanks Received:
    LOL, my Wife was just talking about having to possibly make trips to the UK for work. She also said it might be better if we move to the UK and I was thinking OMG no (because everything would cost so much more). I said if we have to we would do it but I'd really rather not. I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for everything ;)
  10. ap4lifetn New Member

Thanks Received:
    Mobo/CPU prices aren't so bad, its the RAM thats vicious t.t. 6GB of DDR3 = 250+, 4GB of DDR2 = $50
  11. wolf2009 Guest

haha lol, move to uk , forget buying the high end stuff , hell no we are not moving
  12. Fitseries3

Fitseries3 Eleet Hardware Junkie

Thanks Received:
    tankguys also has both the boards and cpus as well as motherboardpro.
  13. Katanai

Katanai

Thanks Received:
    Yeah dude, 10 dollars for a beer or a pack of cigs is not really what I would call ok.
  14. IcrushitI New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is fantastic. My bootup will be 2 seconds faster.:D Intel said years ago that a new cpu would make web surfing faster, but that all came to a stop with capping my download speed.:cry: I think my typing skill would probably increase.:)My game frame rates will improve by five frames a second as long as I off load to the cpu by running my games at 640x420. Maybe I won't have to spend so much on a video card, I can let the cpu do all the work instead of gpu. Now all I have to do is go buy a new mother board, memory, video card, so for about $1000 to 1500 I'm set. OHHHHHH I'm so excited to spend my money on a new cpu, I get goose bumps all over my body.:pimp: I think I can still keep what I have and go with a new Ati 4870x2 and still keep up with the Jones.:toast: Thanks any way Intel but until you get the rest of the industry to fall in line and start writing software to use the extra cores my duel core opteron is still mighty fast.:)
  15. TheGuruStud

TheGuruStud

Thanks Received:
    Must be nice to have kind of mulla. I think a quad core, etc is more than the parents can handle :)
  16. spacejunky New Member

Thanks Received:
  17. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    They really are, every item I have price-checked in the last month or so (not that many, but still) has been cheapest at Microcenter.
  18. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    True, it is more then they need. But, if they want it, and given me a quarter what I spent on it.. I'll give them whatever they want..
  19. HTC

HTC

Thanks Received:
    Not only in the UK, dude!

Here's how it's now here in Portugal in the store i'm making my buys:

i7 CPUs

Asus P6T Deluxe board

Corsair 3 GB DDR3

787 euros is the minimum, @ this store, here in Portugal, and it's ~$1000 with the conversion for dollar @ 1 euro = $1.2704. There's a cheaper CPU (the 920 NOT retail) but newegg doesn't have it, so no good for the comparison.

@ newegg:

i7 CPUs

Asus P6T Deluxe board

Corsair 3 GB DDR3

$778.98 is the minimum @ newegg for the exact same setup (i7 920 BOX): wouldn't you know it: it's actually less dollars then euros? hmmmm ....
  20. Fitseries3

Thanks Received:
    the p6t is ugly and doesnt allow for 3 dual slot cards. god i hate the looks of that board... i'd break it in half.
  21. Octavean

Thanks Received:
  22. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    I wonder how many people feel the same way. Might explain why Foxconn called their board Blood Rage! ;)
  23. Fitseries3

Thanks Received:
    the NB heatsink looks like total garbage! p6t that is.

the foxconn offerings wont alow for more than 2 dual slot cards either. and i dont know anyone who's gonna run 4 4850's on one. they do have a good look to them though.
  24. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    are the i7 processors supposed to be significantly faster?
  25. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    I honestly don't see the point in SLI or Crossfire with more than 2 cards, I really don't. For me, it's going to be one single card - hopefully that'll be a 1GB 5850 by the time I'm ready to start purchasing things.

The jewel in the crown for my rig though will be a FusionIO 'drive'. I WILL save for one of these for my next machine, even if it means no booze or another luxuries for a long time.

They are for number crunching tasks such as encoding and memory intensive apps. In most games the benefits are negligible. As for the socket, Bloomfield is 1366 the, to be released sockets are 1567 and the mobile, 989.
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2008