1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Boot failure after BIOS upgrade

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by dg2013, May 23, 2013.

1. dg2013 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hallo

I am new here and hoping I have chosen the right area to post in and that you can help me with this problem or at least understand it.

I have an ASUS M5A97 EVO motherboard ver 1.

I multiboot XP, Win 7 and 8 all on seperate hard drives (not partitions)

I have been having problems with explorer being slow to load in Win 8 and had read that updating the BIOS might help. Accordingly I downloaded the lastest BIOS from ASUS and updated it from the BIOS interface.

That all went smoothly but on rebooting it would not boot into the o/s. It went as far as the boot menu but none of the options would work all sending me back to run the repair from the o/s CD. I tried that but none were successful.

I then tried reverting to an earlier BIOS, in fact several but that did not change anything.

I have several system images and all of them installed but none would take me past the boot menu.

In the end I have had to re-install Win 7 from scratch which is a real pain and would prefer to reload my last image.

Having installed Win 7 the computer works fine so I am puzzled as to what the problem is. I did consider that it might have enabled secureboot but I don't think this m/b has it.

I would appreciate any suggestions

Thanks
  2. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    Read the fax when updating bios. If the symptom is NOT in the fax, there is no reason to update the bios. Flash the bios back to the previous and see if you have the same issue
  3. Johan45

Johan45

Thanks Received:
    Did you check to see if the bios had changed from IDE to AHCI, that would carry through to all your images if the system was in IDE previously and the new BIOS was set to AHCI
  4. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    Great call!
    Johan45 says thanks.
  5. dg2013 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks to All for the replies.

As I said in my post I have tried going back to earlier BIOS releases and it did not improve anything.

Also tried changing from AHCI to IDE and the disk still boots. Did not try that with the old image though. Would have thought that it would have prevented me from booting into the new install. From memory I am pretty sure that it was set as AHCI.

Thanks
  6. Johan45

Johan45

Thanks Received:
    it'll work going from AHCI to IDE but they won't work going from IDE to AHCI. If the bios was initially set to IDE when the images were made the AHCI drivers aren't installed and system won't boot if the BIOS is changed after unless the registry is changed to activate the AHCI drivers. Prior to the BIOS change
    EDIT: It would be fairly easy to check. Just switch the setting ti IDE in your current BIOS and see if the image will boot.
    Last edited: May 24, 2013
  7. dg2013 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately none of the options have worked. Can only surmise that the BIOS changed more than I am aware of.

I did have EasyBCD installed and wondered if that might have been an issue.

All of the images I have would install but none of them would boot, even if I selected the individual drives.

In the end after wasting a lot of time trying to get it to work I resorted to re-installing Win 7. So I now have a running system on the latest BIOS. Guess I should leave well alone now.
  8. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    im glad that my z77 FTW board was set to AHCI be defualt, it was a process and a 1/2 to get it done on my SSD in my i5 2400 rig as i didnt know about AHCI at first and did the MS KB article to regedit it in after windows installation.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Johan45

Johan45

Thanks Received:
    That's a bummer but at least you're up and running. Ya maybe a boot manager issue, don't know.