1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Boot failure

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by demonbrawn, Sep 17, 2006.

1. demonbrawn

demonbrawn New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, my fiance's laptop is struggling lately. Now, it won't even boot properly. When you power it on, it goes through the Windows loading bars, but after it does that it hits a blank, blue screen and then restarts. It does this over and over and over again and never finishes the boot process. Any thoughts?

2. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    Tons. When I had this happen to me, it turned out my RAM was dead as a doornail. See if you can get a new kit of RAM for that laptop. If not that, then that motherboard has decided to crap out, and you need an entirely new laptop (sorry). It could also be a general configuration issue...repairing Windows might do the trick, but it's far more likely you have a dead RAM issue.

3. demonbrawn

demonbrawn New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh yeah, i forgot to mention that I've already tried starting in safe mode after pressing F8. That didn't work either. I figured somebody would probably say that. The only other cheap option I can think of is finding the Windows XP disc and trying to boot from that and selecting repair partition or something. She has all these files that she needs for her Education Major Portfolio that she needs to turn in when she graduates, so this is quite the urgent issue if you can imagine.........

4. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    Definitely, you need to swap out the RAM. I've had the same issue as you dude, a gig of Mushkin solved the problem immediately. I had multiple issues at that time...SATA2 controller died, causing the motherboard to have cold boots, and bad memory was causing bluescreens. Hooray...anyways. Go buy yourself some Mushkin and be done with your RAM problems :).

5. xylomn

xylomn New Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree, I've had the same problem in the past, turned out to be my RAM, replacing it fixed all the problems.