1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Boot issues with DFI NF4UT

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Velocity, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Velocity

Velocity New Member

Thanks Received:
    On my backup rig im having what i think are cold boot issues (unplug the computer or turn it off for an amount of time, and it refuses to boot up without flipping the psu switch while repeatedly pressing the power button until it boots) sometimes it takes 10 seconds sometimes 4-5 minutes. Ive heard DFI motherboards have had issues with this and heard a number of remedies. Anyone know if any are valid? Resetting CMOS, ETC? Any help is appreciated.
  2. WakeUpDead New Member

Thanks Received:
    Have had this issue with Nf4s myself, in fact I have owned 4 DFI nF4 boards, D, Ultra D SLI, Expert, and venus! ANyhow i have the D in a box downstairs and it had cold boot issues from the start! Now, This was two years ago, but as far as I remember, its a RAM/PSU issue! I know many over at (DFI)DIYStreet were going through this, having to RMA PSU's and RAM left and right. But it seems to be the only solution, once they got the right combo!

Does this happen with stock settings with the ram set at there right speeds and volts?

Give as much info as you can about what your running, speeds and volts! Also what is happening to the T, any lights that are or are not on, and any fans that power up, everything.

This can be resolved, but we will need alot of info to pin point the issue. I still would say its a RAm or PSU! I havent used eitehr brand you have for those, so Im not too sure!

Thanks

Ok, after re reading a few threads from years ago, I see where its 50/50 on RAM or PSU!

easy test: take out everything but just 1RAM, 1HDD,1CPU 1PSU and run a smaller GPU, if you can! Then try it, see if the power freed up from all your stuff, starts the system? I see that is on the list for PSUs, but it also says not for high end GPU rigs so you never know?
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2008
  3. Velocity

Velocity New Member

Thanks Received:
    Everything running normally and the ram nor the psu are the issue as both are new.

[​IMG]

started doing it about a month or so ago, so its really only a recent problem, not something that started when i put the rig together. It does it when i put in even a pci video card, so its soley the motherboard... i fixed the problem... kinda, i just let it sit plugged in for like 5 minutes before i try turning it on... its like the pcb in the mobo needs time to juice up or something... weird but meh its a backup rig, its old, and i dont give a shit lol just was curious if anyone had an easy fix.

The specs of my rig and my backup are different, just same mobo...
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2008
  4. WakeUpDead New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, over at DFI well DIYstreet now they have all kinds of Cold boot posts, just search if you still want to try and resolve this! Most were saying that PSU or ram was the cause.

Even a new PSU could cause this, its not that the PSU is bad, its that DFI mobos are picky. Even the same board will not like ram that another would run on! I had some PQI ram that worked great in three of my Nf4 boards but would not post on the 4th, just wierd!

I did see that one guy set his PSU to run all the time? and that solved it, not sure? Most said RMA solved there issue, DUH!

I did pull my Nf4-D out of the dust and tryed to power it up last night, no luck, Im getting 2 post lights but no more! I think I busted off a sodder point when I remove a Ultra 120 two years ago! Packed it back away, Ill keep as a relic of a time when AMD dominated the performance market, I miss those days!

Anyhow good luck with this, I always hate wierd issues! RRRRRR