1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Boot problem after installing Windows 7

Discussion in 'General Software' started by dark2099, Sep 16, 2009.

1. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    So I just installed Windows 7 on a room mates PC, and after going through and doing all the updating and setting things up how I like too, I restart the PC and when it should be booting Windows it tells me BOOTMGR is missing, hit ctrl alt del to restart, so I do that, pop the Win 7 DVD in, hit repair, find's a start up problem, gives the option to repair and restart, but restarts real fast which makes me think it isn't repairing the boot manager. So I am super confused at why this is happening, just restarted the PC to refresh the resolution settings for the LCD TV it is hooked up to from my 20" Viewsonic, TV does weird ones that the Viewsonic doesn't. I'm about to pass out so I can update with better information and such tomorrow, thanks in advance TPU. :toast:

2. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    No ideas?

3. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Make sure the proper hard drive is selected to boot first. Sounds like your primary boot disk doesn't have the boot manager.

dark2099 says thanks.
  4. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    Changed those around a few times too, forgot to mention that. Thanks Wile E.

5. Fitseries3

Fitseries3 Eleet Hardware Junkie

Thanks Received:
    i've had that problem a bunch.

i've noticed if you leave the install disk in the dvd drive it will boot but not when you take it out.

try rebooting it a few times with the disk in and then install some updates.

take the dvd out and reboot.

if that dont work i always resort to reinstalling.

dark2099 says thanks.
  6. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    Fit was right about what caused it, wasn't able to get it to boot again, so just reinstalled. I think I've had this happen in the past, but never remember how it gets caused.

Fitseries3 says thanks.