1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Boot problem, need help!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Jackaryas, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Jackaryas New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok herse my problem:

I left my computer on while i went downstairs to do somthing, i was away around 15 minutes (it had been running fine for ages at this point), when i came back to use it again i realised it had turned off, i guessed it had gone to sleep or somthing which it never usually does, i tried to turn it back on, nothing. i switched off the power supply and then on again, then tried the pc again, a littel flicker of light for around half a second then it wa soff again. So i decided to strip it down to the barebones and find the problem, i have tried with the mobo, cpu and graphics card and the liquid cooling system active, still it wont turn on. I have tried with all the combinations of ram modules (1, 2 and none) i have also tried with another power supply. I have also checked that it is not grounded, i have power to the mobo as the green standby light is on inside. Would i be right in thinking the mobo has gone?, i also checked the cpu and it was fine, i.e not melted :p and the liquid cooling was working fine so no over heating on the cpu fornt.

Here are my barebones specs:

Pentium D 915 @3.1Ghz
    Asus P5VDC-x mobo
    2x 512 mb ebuyer value ram
    ATi Radeon X 1650XT
    Thermlatake liquid cooling system.

Sorry for the long read i just need a second opinion so i dont spend £70 on a new mobo that is wasted,

cheers

jack

2. Grimskull New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi jack, wlecome to TPU.

I had a PC yesterday that justpowered dow, wouldnt restart no matter what i did. But i eventually got it going by unplugging all cables and expansion cards from it, shaking it out to make sure nothing was shorting the mobo, connected mouse, monitor, keyboard and power back into it and it powered back up.

I found that it was the USB PCI card that was causing the problem. try what i did, hope it works.

3. von kain New Member

Thanks Received:
    any lights on the mobo blinking? any beeps? have you o/c it? my wild guess is it might be psu

4. Jackaryas New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes i have overclocked it but i reset the cmos so that should have reset the settings, and i have tried another psu and exactly the same thing happend. I have also removed my pci card now and still the same, could it be the gfx card?

5. von kain New Member

Thanks Received:
    any lights on the mobo? any post beeps? anything that might tell you that mobo is still live?if there isn't any lights/beeps i might say it is a mobo fault

6. Jackaryas New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nope no beeps just the green standby light that shows ther eis power, it wont even get to POST, it will only power up for a split second if i disconect and reconect the power supply if i dont then nothing at all.

7. Jackaryas New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok it was my GFX card lol, tried with my old one and it boots fine, will be sending it back as its under warrenty and hopfully get a nvidia card to go with the sli board im getting next year :p

cheers for all your responces, jack

8. Grimskull New Member

Thanks Received:
    Glad you got it sorted, pity it was your graphics card. Hope the RMA process is fast for you. Let us know how you get on with your new one.

9. Jackaryas New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yea i liked that card, gotta use my puny X300 now lol grr, i have asked them to give me store credit but i think ill get a replacment lol, wanna try and get one of nvidia 8 series cards ready for dx 10 lol