1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Boot problem

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by FAXA, Jul 24, 2007.

1. FAXA New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok I just experienced some problems booting my troublesome PC. I turned the power on, and the monitor came on, and all fans whirred up. Then, my motherboard let out a short beep, but the beep sort of crackled. Then my PC froze.

I reset it, but some symbols popped onto the screen, one of them was the Spades (from a pack of cards) symbol, another was a line and dots and there was lots of other characters as well :wtf:. So I rebooted and got a blank screen.

I then turned the power off, left it for 10 seconds, then turned it back on. I press DEL to enter BIOS to see if everything is in order, but BIOS freezes. I reboot, but this time I didn't press DEL, and it simply froze on a black screen. I decided to unplug all the items from my PC including the power and left it for a minute. I then plugged everything back in and it booted fine.

Could someone tell me what's going wrong? Its happened twice now in the space of about 1 month - so it doesn't bother me too much but I'd like to know what's going on.

Thanks, FAXA.

2. cjoyce1980 New Member

Thanks Received:
    have you recently updated you MoBo bios?! added any new hardware? how old is your build?

3. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Recomend running Maliciouse Software Removal Tool; click start > run > type in mrt > OK.
    When done run AVG free trail anitivirus, be sure to check box for Boottime scan.
    Open My computer > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer > System Log. Check for errors in boot log.

:toast:

FAXA says thanks.
  4. error_f0rce

error_f0rce New Member

Thanks Received:
    Good stuff, I agree. Besides the AVG free trial, I'd download Ad-aware free from LavaSoft. When you're done running all that, go to your C: drive, right-click -> Properties -> Tools -> Error-checking "Check Now..."
    Make sure both the boxes are checked and then click "Start". That could take a while, but will check the integrity of your hard drive.

Keep posting updates, good luck!

FAXA says thanks.
  5. FAXA New Member

Thanks Received:
    Built the rig in late March, but I've never updated my BIOS or added any new hardware.

I'm currently running Ad-aware, AVG and the Malicious Software Removal Tool - so I'll update you on the situation later.

Thanks for the help, FAXA.

6. FAXA New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok I just booted my PC this morning and I got a blue screen error telling me that I should remove all my Anti-Virus software, all my anti-spyware software and any backup utilities. There was an error code to go with it, but my PC rebooted its self.

My boot problems are becoming more frequent, and it happens every time I turn my PC on :S.
    AVG found a Virus in my system restore point, and deleted it, but it hasn't improved the situation :(.

Thanks again, FAXA.

7. rick22

rick22 New Member

Thanks Received:
    your cpu is under clocked...how hot is it....i was always told never under clock..also i just got the sane mobo as yours...so will see how good this board is....

Last edited: Jul 26, 2007
    FAXA says thanks.
  8. error_f0rce

error_f0rce New Member

Thanks Received:
    For sure, first thing to do is set all your BIOS back to normal. No more underclocking till you get this all figured out :)

If none of this is working for you, sounds like it's time to rescue all you can from your HDD and format it. :ohwell:
    Do you have all the software and OS discs you need to do a clean install?

FAXA says thanks.
  9. FAXA New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've restored defaults, and my CPU is about 30-40'C. I've got all the OS discs.

Could the motherboard be broken?

10. Agility

Agility

Thanks Received:
    wait a blue screen error telling you to remove your ANti-virus and spyware software????

11. FAXA New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yup.:(

12. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    I found that odd to. THAT sounded like part of a virus itself; sort of a like a tongue-cheek move by the author :)

FAXA says thanks.
  13. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    Its virus. Save things off ur hdd, clean low level format, load windows.

FAXA says thanks.
  14. FAXA New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok thanks all :D.

15. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Ya Faxa, our responses have been weak ... so apologies all around.

Yet, when you're getting a blue screen virii warning, that makes it feel like it's a little more serious than a simple case of temporary internet file spyware.

If you can, and are willing, go for a format. It sucks, but it will ensure a healthy start.

Don't forget to set your ACPI at the start of the Windows installation to multiprocessor ACPI!!!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2007
  16. FAXA New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks....but I'm a bit of a noob (I'm only 14)...how do I set my ACPI and what is it?

And would installing Vista format my HDD?

Thanks, FAXA.

17. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Try to clear CMOS, after that try getting into the bios. Set your boot priority like this:
    1. Floppy
    2. CD
    3. HDD

And if you have a floppy that will write zeros to a hard drive like I do, try that first. Afterwards take that disc out and pop whatever the hell OS you want to install. Also, I wolud remove the RAM you are using right now and using a different stick of RAM. Some viruses load themselves into your RAM and stay there, but I suppose just like anything else after it loses all power it will lose all it's stored information too.

/under normal circumstances I would just reformat but this seems like a nasty one

Crunching for Team TPU